Author Topic: What's the best ice rod?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's the best ice rod?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:13 PM »
I'm shocked that Tuned Up Custom Rods were not mentioned.  ???

I own quite a few of these and with the quality and feel, they practically sell themselves. Did I mention that they come with a 5 (five) year warranty?

Food for thought...
Andy

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:27 PM »
Tuned up custom I might have to try one
Never to many short poles

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2013, 03:21 AM »
I picked up some of the 13 fishing rods last year and like them alot, and where I bought it told me that if they broke, bring it back and he would replace it no questions asked!

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:57 AM »
I have a couple but my favorite is one that I made. The best one is the one that you like the most. The one that works for you. I have 15 rods that I take but I always use my few favorites. It is like cars,tools.even you favorite fishing buddy. It is what you like.     FatFish

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2013, 08:49 AM »
same problem feeling the bite with the noodle rods. bought a 36 inch precision quicktip this year from tucr, i think it should do th trick.the very  tip seems forgiving enough for crappies and the rod is very rigid

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:57 AM »
I got two St. Croix UL ice rods from Cabelas a few years ago they are 28' long and I absolutely love them. I can feel panfish bites on them really well.

Offline stcroixx09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2013, 11:49 AM »
why u have  bring up tuned up rods, never heard of them. they look sweet though................ .now i gotta buy another rod................... .....like i need one lol
Lake O The Woods Baby

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:18 PM »
This year I bought a 24' UL from Wicked Ice. Although I haven't tried it yet. It is the most sensitive rod I've ever felt or bought. I am anxious to try it out.

Offline TobStar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:30 PM »
My best ice rod is the one with the fish on it! TobStar
TobStar

Offline rangerbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:24 PM »
What about The Green Hornet?! ;D

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Every year I pick up a couple rods from Cabelas. I've got a dozen or so of the best they have.... But I still want a rod that you can feel a fish tap it. Like actually feel the bite in the handle! Most of mine you can see the twitch of the rod tip or spring bobber. But I can't feel a light bite! I fish for Crappie, white bass, perch, and occasional Walleye. 
And suggestions? I don't care about price at this point! $100 ? IDK but I've wasted enough money on the $40 or less junk!!!

Adam Bricker rod

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:38 PM »

Chevy  :P
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:59 AM »
I'm shocked that Tuned Up Custom Rods were not mentioned.  ???

I own quite a few of these and with the quality and feel, they practically sell themselves. Did I mention that they come with a 5 (five) year warranty?

Food for thought...
Andy
TUCR(TUNED UP CUSTOM RODS) gets my vote. I have the precision noodle for panfish, precision for walleyes/trout, and the Quick tip being built as we speak for whities/tullibees/perch. Those guys are top notch when it comes to customer service. You tell them what you want and they will get it done and I highly recommend the REC recoil guides.

Offline stcroixx09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:12 PM »
i didnt see reel seats as an option 4 the tuned up rods, is that an avlb option from them?
Lake O The Woods Baby

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:19 PM »
i didnt see reel seats as an option 4 the tuned up rods, is that an avlb option from them?
Shoot them an email or give them a call. I'm pretty sure they can make it happen because they build open water rods also.

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #45 on: Dec 03, 2013, 02:41 PM »
This got me to thinking. Back in the olden days 50-60's we basically had wood dowel rods with no reels. I think most of us still hold the rod in the palm of our hand and kinda drape the line over our index finger that's the most sensitive way I know of to feel a fish nibble . Then I use the rod and reel to bring them up. Any one else still use their index finger as the sensitivity part of this process?
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:02 AM »
This got me to thinking. Back in the olden days 50-60's we basically had wood dowel rods with no reels. I think most of us still hold the rod in the palm of our hand and kinda drape the line over our index finger that's the most sensitive way I know of to feel a fish nibble . Then I use the rod and reel to bring them up. Any one else still use their index finger as the sensitivity part of this process?

I do!!  I've got one rod with a quick tip I'm trying this year and another with a wire spring bobber but using my index finger is a habit I won't break.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.