Author Topic: To post or not to POST????????????  (Read 7647 times)

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: To post or not to POST????????????
« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2005, 02:52 PM »

1]you give out GPS co-ordinates for a lake = your a dumb ass.

:roflmao:

Even though I might agree with VC's statement, I might have worded it a little differently. By the same token, anyone taking GPS coordinates from this site and racing to the alleged honeyhole to cash in on the alleged motherload of fish might also qualify for VC's blanket statement. Wouldn't you be p!$$ed if you raced to so GPS honeyhole and caught no fish or better yet ended up in the middle of a parking ramp somewhere? Who would you blame, the person that posted the coordinates? I sure as he!! would never admit that I blindly followed directions that led to a parking ramp full of no fish. There is enough information shared here for almost anyone to go to any lake and find fish without a notebook full of step by step directions to an area of a specific lake or GPS coordinates and if by chance it isn't enough then it might be time to find a hobby that is less stressful like knitting or something related.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Hmmm......lurkers who don't post :-\.  What about those with hundreds of posts containing nothing but meaningless chit chat??? ???

When I first discovered Ice Shanty back in '02 I couldn't get enough of posting my pics, offering up advice, writing of my experiences or giving up locations.  Over time I started to feel a little self righteous.  It felt like being on the Shanty was always about me and my experiences.  I now post less because I don't always feel the need to write about my stuff.  Feels good just to read how others are doing.  I post occasionally when I feel so compelled(like now) or if I feel the need to tease Vancouvercanuck ;D.  I guess it's sort of like how we evolve as anglers.  For the first decade or so it's all about how many fish I can catch.  Over time there becomes more reward in teaching and watching others do well on the ice.  I would rather watch one of my children catch one small fish than catch thirty trophies myself...

I like to think the shanty is for all to enjoy.  Some folks like to just read.  Others enjoy giving advice or telling about their experiences....It's all good ;)

Trevor

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Hey Buckski, I don't know where you are attempting to go here in this thread.
It sounds like you would prefer everyone to chime in and do posts in the threads they read. I would prefer most to stay out, just read and only post if you have some real info to offer. We could fill these threads will alot of useless information and make them very hard to weed thru.
As it stands now, I read threads that interest me and I read many of the responses in them. I also skip over alot of the responses because I recognize the member and either know he has nothing to offer of any value or I don't believe or care for his posts in general. I expect others to do the same if they have no use for my posts.
I enjoy the IS because I have come to learn that there are many here who are honest and well informed and not selfish with trivial info that might make the difference between a good day and a good SKUNKING.
If some choose to just Lurk then thats fine. If others choose to add a bit of knowledge then this too is fine and it is also fine if others choose to add a bunch of BULL because shame on me if I follow.
Take all that you read here with a grain of salt and figure out what and how to fish from those you feel are knowledgable and trustworthy.
One thing I use as a guide is if the member is confident enough about him/herself to post a little info in their own profile. It is nice to see how old a member is or a basic location where the member is from. Those who have N/A listed in all profile fields are good ones to avoid. Talk about LURKING!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2005, 05:33 PM »
These message boards are all a like. I been on quiet a few of them and the crap is all the same. Today’s angler has it to easy. No incentive to go out and learn on their own. You guys have too much information. The more info you get the more brain dead you will become. A lot of you wont agree with me, but who cares. When it comes down to fishing I’m from the old school. When I started out yrs ago I had no info to start with. Not even a fish finder. Fishing back in those days was for the real fisherman. Everything was trial and error that kind of system will make or break you. When it come down to me giving out info on hot spots, not this guy. I will pick and choose whom I give out information too. I have help out a lot of guys on the water, but I only will do it if I see the guy trying. The ones that put no effort into it go find another sucker. What I hate about these boards the screen names you guys use, why can’t you identify yourself on were you live and your name. I will give out info on what lures and equipment to use and I will tell you what lakes I fish, but that’s it. go fishing the fish are in the lake not on some message board.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Hey Buckski, I don't know where you are attempting to go here in this thread.
It sounds like you would prefer everyone to chime in and do posts in the threads they read. I would prefer most to stay out, just read and only post if you have some real info to offer. We could fill these threads will alot of useless information and make them very hard to weed thru.
As it stands now, I read threads that interest me and I read many of the responses in them. I also skip over alot of the responses because I recognize the member and either know he has nothing to offer of any value or I don't believe or care for his posts in general. I expect others to do the same if they have no use for my posts.
I enjoy the IS because I have come to learn that there are many here who are honest and well informed and not selfish with trivial info that might make the difference between a good day and a good SKUNKING.
If some choose to just Lurk then thats fine. If others choose to add a bit of knowledge then this too is fine and it is also fine if others choose to add a bunch of BULL because shame on me if I follow.
Take all that you read here with a grain of salt and figure out what and how to fish from those you feel are knowledgable and trustworthy.
One thing I use as a guide is if the member is confident enough about him/herself to post a little info in their own profile. It is nice to see how old a member is or a basic location where the member is from. Those who have N/A listed in all profile fields are good ones to avoid. Talk about LURKING!
Yeah, from time to time short useless posts are fun, but it gets annoying if you do that all of the time. Don't post just to post, post to say something of some importance, atleast most of the time :)

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2005, 06:36 PM »
When I started out yrs ago I had no info to start with. Not even a fish finder. Fishing back in those days was for the real fisherman. Everything was trial and error that kind of system will make or break you.

….and I walked 14 miles to the lake through two feet of snow uphill both ways….dang young  message board reading’  whippersnappers!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Ray.  Couldn’t resist.  Had to throw that in there.  I can respect where you’re coming from.  I fished for 23 years before owning a computer even crossed my mind.   I flogged the waters from age four with my dad and grandfather.  They taught me lots.  I learned even more through my own solitary adventures. 

I have to disagree about today’s anglers having it too easy though.  You have to admit in your time there were books available containing a wealth of quality information.  Not many on ice fishing but let’s face it ice fishing was a pretty simple sport up until ten years ago.   Thanks to the internet there may be more info out there than ever before, but also an abundance of misinformation.  Experienced anglers can easily dismiss the BS and decipher which info is fit to be applied to their fishing.  To a new angler reading all the info available it could be overwhelming.  He may have to fish long hours based on what he read on the net only to find he was mislead…A new, resourceful angler could drastically shorten his/her learning curve using this wealth of available knowledge but no amount of reading could ever compare to what can be learned through experience on the water/ice.  Besides isn’t educating anglers what we need to ensure the continuity of our fisheries? 

Not long ago you could have a quality lake to yourself  and have fish after fish hit anything that dangled in front of it’s nose.  Today you have to fight for a spot on lakes with depleted populations of educated fish.  If anything I think today’s angler has it harder than ever…

I post information because I want to, not because I expect to get something in return.  I know as soon as I hit that post button that info becomes public knowledge.  The problem with today’s society is that everyone seems to want to dictate what everyone else should be doing.  I say if people want to just read, good for them.  If they like posting that’s good too.  Who the heck cares what the other guy does?  Who has the right to say what anyone else does with their time on the internet?  Live and let live right?

I have trouble comprehending some of the logic on this thread.  If there weren’t people interested in reading about ice fishing there wouldn’t have been an ice fishing site in the first place…..

Trevor Burke
30 years old
Alberta, Canada
Union industrial Carpenter
My hobbies include……

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2005, 06:37 PM »
Same thing over on MFF.
I started a thread about line type and walleye trolling in Lake Erie.
I presented as much about my setup as possible.  I also mentioned what I have done in the past and what I'm looking for now.
I wanted to hear from some people out there that have tested various types of line while trolling for walleye.
What do I get?
Some jerk who tells me that I analyze things too much and should use 15# or 30# line.
For walleyes!!!!???!!!
And then a couple more with very little to offer.
Again, you just KNOW there are people out there with some good info to share.

What's the friggin problem here?
Are they afraid that if I start using thier fvorite line I will completely drain all of the walleye from Lake Erie? ?

Mac I’m the guy you are referring to troutman on the other board. I gave you good advice. Fore somebody like you that fished lake Ontario for trout and salmon should know what kind of line to use. Its don’t take a college education to figure it out when its posted time after time on these message boards.

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2005, 07:10 PM »
Trevor very good post I agree on some of the things you are trying to say. I won’t fish in a crowd you don’t have to today. We still can have a lake to our self. Ice fishing and stream fishing can get very crowed. Fishing on a lake with a boat is turning into a rich man sport. Yrs ago we had more fisherman and boats out there then we have today. Info back in the old days, we did have a few books but not like the ones we have today. I have no problem finding a quiet spot to fish. Many times I’m the only guy out there. Since you are a Canadian you should have no problem finding a lake to fish by yourself. Today the Internet brings out the crowd. If you don’t post they don’t come. Fishermen are their own worst enemy. Be careful on how you give out information you might think you are doing a good thing but you are doing more harm then good.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Thanks Ray, actually I have many places I can fish any day of the week without so much as seeing another angler, but I don't think that is the case for a lot of anglers.  If it's crowded I'll go somewhere else.  I grew up a 1/4 mile from a world class atlantic salmon fishery(Miramichi River).  At times there were literally fist fights over territorial disputes.  Some anglers even got their tires cut for fishing where they weren't welcome.  It was crazy.  I miss the waters but I sure don't miss the crowds.  From talking to my dad it sounds like it's got even worse since I left 11-1/2 years ago...

As far as volunteering the info.  I know it's lost on some people.  If I give up info it's up to them to do with it what they will.  I think it still takes an experienced, seasoned angler to be successful(I guess some may be naturals), despite what they  may have read.  I do have fishing spots that I know would be extremely vulnerable to overfishing.  I only reveal these spots to those I am close to and feel I can trust.  The internet is just another medium and is just a fact of life.  It isn't going away.  Maybe we as experienced anglers should use it to our advantage as a tool to reach and educate those we feel may be a threat to our fisheries.

Trevor

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:10 PM »
Trevor you are starting to see a decline on the Internet already. The better guy’s wont post reports anymore, because of the crap they see out there. I have helped more people out their then you think. I don’t expect anything in return. I like to help the younger guys more then the older ones. The younger ones are the future of the sport. You can mold these guys. What I teach them and show them is up to them if they are going to make anything out of themselves. I expect them to keep quiet and respect the information I gave them. When they get out there on their own they still have to put it together. Fishing is a trade the more work you put into it the more you will get out of it. It takes time to learn a lake. You can read all the books you want if you don’t know anything about that lake you are going home with nothing. Today’s angler want instant success. Its going to go back to the old way somewhat, but it wont be a rough.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Trevor you are starting to see a decline on the Internet already. The better guy’s wont post reports anymore, because of the crap they see out there. I have helped more people out their then you think. I don’t expect anything in return. I like to help the younger guys more then the older ones. The younger ones are the future of the sport. You can mold these guys. What I teach them and show them is up to them if they are going to make anything out of themselves. I expect them to keep quiet and respect the information I gave them. When they get out there on their own they still have to put it together. Fishing is a trade the more work you put into it the more you will get out of it. It takes time to learn a lake. You can read all the books you want if you don’t know anything about that lake you are going home with nothing. Today’s angler want instant success. Its going to go back to the old way somewhat, but it wont be a rough.

Actually you're right about experienced guys not posting because they have seen how the info was used.  I would be lying if I said I have never refrained from posting based on how I knew the info would be used.  I hope you're right about some things going back to the old ways...

However this thread is about people who lurk and don't post.  It seems the lurkers have been labelled as the ones using good info maliciously or take but never give.  I have met a few people who read but don't post.  They are not out to hurt anyone or anything.  Anyone could use information acquired here to do bad, including a well respected member with lots of posts.  I post info in hopes it will reach someone who needs help.  I have in the past received PM's from anglers thanking me for helping them after they read my posts.  I personally find that in itself quite rewarding.  Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.  Most people who don't post are not out to suck info like a leech.  They just love fishing and enjoy reading about it.  After all isn't it a wise man who listens more than he talks?  I personally don't believe the internet has hurt our fisheries, but as my wife will attest I've been wrong before....I still say each to his own....

Trevor

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 12, 2005, 07:17 AM »
I guess by most IS users , I'd be seen as a "lurker". Some of us are new to the sport,or in my case have come out of a 20+ year hardwarer hiatus.It is a whole different sport now compared to 1970's/80's. some of the info on IS is invaluable.us newbies just dont have alot to offer yet. I have been overall impressed with the cohesiveness of the members of this forum (though I have seen some pretty nast bickering on occasion) we should not discriminate against those who are seen as "lurkers" . look at it like this...those of you with hundreds of posts are the Quai Chang Cain of IS and most "lurkers" are The Grasshoppers of IS.some day, through your wisdom, will be able to snatch the pebble from your hand and share valuable information with the next generation of hard water fishermen. keeping the sport alive with integrity.

Snot rocket
Male
36 y/o
upstate New York
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 12, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Well put Snot Rocket ;)
If you do not want anybody in your spot, just do not post it. It is that simple.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #43 on: Mar 12, 2005, 06:07 PM »
Been coming into contact with people who read the IS in NY and don not leave any information. I was wondering if this is a common occurrence?? Several times out this year I have asked guys if they from the shanty and they have responded no they only read post but do not leave them. I do like to share information, but will not give ever last detail. We should be able to work from a location, depth, species, technique and ice conditions. I find that sites like this work from the sharing of knowledge. If people start to notice, like I have that the amount of fishing pressure has increase and the amount of information decreases than there is a problem.
Question asked Should people who only view information and not leave be allowed to  access all the information. If there are no posts from people maybe spring cleaning should start here????
Would like some responce if others fell this way and I do enjoy this site
Should it continue????? what are the repercussions???
Should we take a poll???
Some site like this have gone private is that the future??
http://?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  hey bucksi nice meeting you and the fiend and others today at cuba,,, as for the posting on this or any site i think it up to the individual if hede like to or not. i for 1 dont post alot !!!!   i fish alot dont catch tons of fish and really dont have a whole lot to say. i enjoy the heck out of this site and others and think it has plenty of posters AND people who if asked for info will be me more than willing to respond. BUT IM NOT FOR A SITE THAT GOIN tell members they have to post if that happens . we can all post 20 to 30 post a day that are meaning less... just to stay a member . this site is a bonus to me and others not a necessity that need to be regulated!! just my opinion lol,,, by the way howde ya make out at cuba???
youngster

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #44 on: Mar 12, 2005, 06:19 PM »
These message boards are all a like. I been on quiet a few of them and the crap is all the same. Today’s angler has it to easy. No incentive to go out and learn on their own. You guys have too much information. The more info you get the more brain dead you will become. A lot of you wont agree with me, but who cares. When it comes down to fishing I’m from the old school. When I started out yrs ago I had no info to start with. Not even a fish finder. Fishing back in those days was for the real fisherman. Everything was trial and error that kind of system will make or break you. When it come down to me giving out info on hot spots, not this guy. I will pick and choose whom I give out information too. I have help out a lot of guys on the water, but I only will do it if I see the guy trying. The ones that put no effort into it go find another sucker. What I hate about these boards the screen names you guys use, why can’t you identify yourself on were you live and your name. I will give out info on what lures and equipment to use and I will tell you what lakes I fish, but that’s it. go fishing the fish are in the lake not on some message board.
ATTA BOY RAY   BEST WAY TO FIND OUT IS TO GO FISH!!!!!!  JUST DO IT!!!!   
youngster

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #45 on: Mar 12, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Been coming into contact with people who read the IS in NY and don not leave any information. I was wondering if this is a common occurrence?? Several times out this year I have asked guys if they from the shanty and they have responded no they only read post but do not leave them. I do like to share information, but will not give ever last detail. We should be able to work from a location, depth, species, technique and ice conditions. I find that sites like this work from the sharing of knowledge. If people start to notice, like I have that the amount of fishing pressure has increase and the amount of information decreases than there is a problem.
Question asked Should people who only view information and not leave be allowed to  access all the information. If there are no posts from people maybe spring cleaning should start here????
Would like some responce if others fell this way and I do enjoy this site
Should it continue????? what are the repercussions???
Should we take a poll???i am with you 100 percent the one thing i learned on this site is you share some and keep some ,60 poeple in a spot i told one guy about made me belevie that,know i do my home work share alittle a let the rest figure it out on there own.bill
Some site like this have gone private is that the future??
http://?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 13, 2005, 05:04 AM »
i have an idea if anyone has any questions about how or what to post just read some of the capital district boys posts (bigred, etc.) they always give good solid information about depths, ice, whats biting on what, and pretty much anyother question you can throw at them without giving away exact locations and no matter who says what back there never confrontational or argumentative and are some of the most respected people on IS if you dont just go to the pics section they know what there talking about but just read some of there posts if everyone treated this site the way they do (and im not innocent) there would be no reason for "lurkers" i know in my second year ice fishing-they and others have helped me greatly and made me a better fisherman from across the state with no exact coordinances i say let the "lurkers" be and just give general info or like most of you have said PM or like ive been told by a few of you if you want a good spot and some techniques meet me here at this time and then not only can you learn but you got a new fishing buddy just my .02 :tipup:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #47 on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:02 AM »
Wow...It took me to day just to read this whole thread. It looks like we have come across something that even the lurkers have something to say about. 

For my 2cents, I don't think that the mods should crack on members with low post numbers, but focus on people who don't join and just cruise for info. Maybe the idea is to have the general chat board open so that any tom, dick or harry can browse but then make it members only for more specific threads like the reports and such.

I don't know about the rest of you but I am finding it hard to get much info, even basic info. I wanted to try a new lake and posted a question asking simply, "what is the best point of entry to the lake" I got one responce. And this lake seems to be the most fished on the Ontario board. You cant tell me that nobody else knew how to get on the lake?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 13, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Icejunky, I think when you post a request for info about a popular spot and don't get much response there is good reason.
Popular spots have been run thru the ringer in previous threads and about all the info necessary is most likely already here!
Those who fish these spots and post info rarely spend much time posting and re posting redundant information. Some even take the attitude that if the requester is too lazy to go back and read previous threads then why respond.
Certainly, if a member came on and said " In reading thru the threads on Lake X I am unable to find info regarding access" You would get the info in short order.
I can't tell you how many times I have been asked for info on page three of a thread that is the same exact info I gave back in page one of the same thread.
If members are not willing to read the posts then why keep posting redundant info.
That being said; Ice Shanty is quite popular and has a vast number of members and visitors. I see no reason to change any policy or to block or bar any fisherman based on if they post or not. I like this site just the way it is. I read what and when I want and I respond if the thread intrests me and I have or need info.
We are all just friends and fisherman killing some time while not on the ice and I would prefer to avoid any further rules, the DEC has enough and I don't need them here.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 13, 2005, 10:35 AM »
I just wonder why people on that board are obviously so tight lipped?
Mac

As a canadian I feel as a whole we are a little more "old school" than you southern folk.  I think you'll find most of us are a lot less likely to fish and tell...Coming up here to ice fish is like going back in time a decade or two.   Most guys who see my flasher have no clue what the heck it is....

Trevor

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 13, 2005, 11:56 AM »
Icejunky, I think when you post a request for info about a popular spot and don't get much response there is good reason.
Popular spots have been run thru the ringer in previous threads and about all the info necessary is most likely already here!
Those who fish these spots and post info rarely spend much time posting and re posting redundant information. Some even take the attitude that if the requester is too lazy to go back and read previous threads then why respond.
Certainly, if a member came on and said " In reading thru the threads on Lake X I am unable to find info regarding access" You would get the info in short order.
I can't tell you how many times I have been asked for info on page three of a thread that is the same exact info I gave back in page one of the same thread.
If members are not willing to read the posts then why keep posting redundant info.

Exactly. I hate it when I go and find a question that someone asks on here that is posted on the same forum, three threads down. I can personally answer 90% of the questions about anything on icefishing by doing two simple things; searching for it on Iceshanty, or a little thing I call Google. If I can find just about anything I want by taking the initiative to go and find something out, why can't everyone else? I understand that there are some tough questions that people would like some extra opinions on, or maybe they just want to start conversation, but there are a lot of thread that start on here that are just stupid, to put it kindly. I have no problem with newbies that are curious about the sport and want to learn more, its the regulars that want to know everthing yesterday without putting in ANY effort. There's a few people on here who are very well versed in both Iceshanty and the internet as a whole that really tick me off because they are to lazy to actually do research, or put time into something that everyone else does. Doing this every now and then doesn't really bug me, but those select few who do all the time do. There's no need for someone on here to ask "How do I catch perch?", or "Does anyone know what the website for Strikemaster Power Augers is?", or my personal favorite, "I heard that the DEC stock really big breeder trout in John Doe Lake, how do I catch them? I want one for my wall."
What's next? "Does anyone have a Vexilar, power auger, and a portable shelter I can borrow for the season?"? >:(
          How about this? Instead of asking people for every little thing on how to icefish, or anything else in life, go out and do it! Its not that hard; look up whats available, then use some initiative, go out and try your best! You can leech all the info you possibly ever could by asking successful people how they catch all the fish they do, and you know what? You probably won't catch as many as they consistently do, BECAUSE THEY PUT IN THE TIME NEEDED TO FIGURE THE FISH OUT! They know how they have to adjust to catch fish with the given conditions, something asking people everything they know really can't do for you.

Like I've already said, I have no problem with newcomers that are trying to learn, my beef's not with you. :)

Ok, I'm done, for now.

-Wes

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Mar 13, 2005, 12:59 PM »
What an interesting thread this turned into....just look at the response this simple question got. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I've posted my share on the Shanty...met a bunch of  new friends...offered up some of what I've learned over the years....learned a lot from many different members........even had some disagreements.

Now  I've been moderating for a couple of years and I don't seem to post as much as I used to. I do read a lot, but mostly from the perspective of keeping up standards. 

12,981 members as of this moment...I remember cracking the 1000 mark...The Shanty is popular for sure.

There's no crime in keeping your honey-hole to yourself...I'm sure not giving up all my favorite spots. On the other hand, this site is all about the free exchange of information and everything that goes with it.....The BS...the chit chat....the ribbing...the camaraderie....even the squabbles.

No one can deny the huge amount of information contained in the threads on this site......Post as you like...what you like ..or..lurk if you like...it's all OK.

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fishmix

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hardcore fisherman
« Reply #52 on: Mar 13, 2005, 01:55 PM »
If ya can't baffle 'em with bu****it!!!!!!      Then blind them with the truth!!!!!!!!!   you can only believe 50 percent of what you hear. It depends on which 50 percent you want to believe.   Why would anyone spend time figuring out a lake then post what they found ?????  Just to find it invaded the next time you go there.   This web site seems to have a lot of good people that are fair and respectfull sportspeople(to be pc).   Information is precious why just give it away!  You have to put your time in and learn.  The big ones will come in time... ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 13, 2005, 04:27 PM »
WOW, this thread is getting better with every post!
Thanks Pasquatch and RGF.
Fact of the matter is that I could care less if I ever catch another fish. I just love being out and will hand my rod to anyone around me if this will bring a thrill.
I have spent 45 years perfecting my skills and still don't have the fish figured out!
Hope I never do because fishing would be rather boreing.
Yes it is nice to start in a new spot with some info readily available right here but I don't need GPS coordinates and a detailed map of HOW TOOS.
If some member could point me in the general direction with some general info I can do the rest or just have a blast trying. My wife thinks I am crazy being just as satisfied upon returning home from a complete skunking as I am when I get home with dinner. I was out doing what I love and enjoy myself despite the fish and the conditions.
Like I have said, this site is a great place to be when not out on the ice and I could care less if you post or not.
Gary

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #54 on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:16 PM »
I agree This thread is getting better with every post.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #55 on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:58 PM »
i have found that even if you tell someone where to go and what to use, there is still a good chance they wont catch fish...i have done it tons of times - go to my friends spot where he is killing them, catch nothing, only have him show up and show me what little thing he is doing to get them to bite that made all the difference...that being said i guard my spots jealously, and it still doesnt work out...i just went by my best crappie hole a few days ago only to see about 20 guys within 10 feet of each other...i didnt tell anyone about it, someone else found the spot and told someone and then word got around...oh well it happens, it just means that i get to spend a few days finding a new crappie spot - and that is my favorite part of ice fishing anyway - finding fish that no one else is even near.

i dont have a problem sharing what body of water i am fishing as long as it is fairly large ie; saratoga lake, lake george, ect. and i also try to share other stuff that helps people along in their own ice fishing endevors, just like i learn a ton from this site EVERY day.

Offline CrappieGill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Mar 13, 2005, 09:52 PM »
I've used this site for awhile. I had a hard time doing my first post. Feeling uncomfortable putting my thoughts into words. I usually fish alone and it's been mostly what seems to work that particulary day.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 14, 2005, 12:46 AM »
What an interesting thread this turned into....just look at the response this simple question got. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I've posted my share on the Shanty...met a bunch of  new friends...offered up some of what I've learned over the years....learned a lot from many different members........even had some disagreements.

Now  I've been moderating for a couple of years and I don't seem to post as much as I used to. I do read a lot, but mostly from the perspective of keeping up standards. 

12,981 members as of this moment...I remember cracking the 1000 mark...The Shanty is popular for sure.

There's no crime in keeping your honey-hole to yourself...I'm sure not giving up all my favorite spots. On the other hand, this site is all about the free exchange of information and everything that goes with it.....The BS...the chit chat....the ribbing...the camaraderie....even the squabbles.

No one can deny the huge amount of information contained in the threads on this site......Post as you like...what you like ..or..lurk if you like...it's all OK.

RG

Well said Rgfixit. This site should be about having fun, making friends, camaraderie, some good natured ribbing and even an occasional disagreement. It should also be a source of information. Some of you probably are not getting your questions answered as well as they should be and some others just aren't looking hard enough. Most of the info is here already if you are willing to dig deep enough and search. I for one will share whatever information I have that might help another fellow angler. If someone on this site asks me to take them fishing on my favorite lake, I will do so in a heartbeat. Who cares about the lurkers. It is a free country after all. If we put limitations on this site as to who can access what info, it will change IS as we know it and not for the better. You men and women on the east coast and in other high density population areas do need to be careful about specific and exact locations you fish. That should be a given. What do you expect when you got so many people in such a small geographic area all trying to accomplish the same thing. I imagine it is frustrating when a spot you have been fishing gets over run by people but pointing fingers and getting mad at people who are just trying to improve their knowledge and get better is not the answer. Posting an exact GPS coordinate on a given lake can certainly be foolhardy but so can blabbing to friends, co-workers and your local bait shop about when, where and how you experienced your success. Word of mouth can travel nearly as fast. I say become the best angler you can be, share your techniques and methods and if you are worried about losing your secret spot, keep it a secret. If you want to keep quiet and just read, thats okay too. If you do betray someone else's kindness and let the cat out of the bag about someones secret or favorite location then shame on you.

IceTroll
      :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

missfishylicious

« Reply #58 on: Mar 14, 2005, 05:53 AM »
well said rg and icetroll,sometimes I'm a blabber but I don't give exact locations.I try to help folks who don't know what i know and i hope folks do the same for me.It hurts a little when i find out people I've helped have been catching them for weeks without telling me but.There's always going to be takers in the world I'd rather be a giver.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #59 on: Mar 14, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Well got some response to the situation from IS members this weekend in person and from the posts. I have looked at several options and thank you for your responce.
It is about sharing, but there has to be some prudence. Well I guess its like the one post. I fished Lake Erie in 25 FOW.
Thanks to the mods for their input and just curious. Out of the 12,000 members how many have not left any posts?? ever?? especially in NY??
Thank You for your imput, many have taken this thread to different directions, but original intent was to see if others have encountered this situation??
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.