Author Topic: what do you do when the fishing is slow?  (Read 5750 times)

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
what do you do when the fishing is slow?
« on: Nov 05, 2004, 07:01 AM »
What do you do when the fish just are not biting. Besides eating and drinking to keep from geting bored? Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with eating and drinking or smoking a good quality cigar.
The thing we do is called ice golf. It's very easy take any iron club and a "pimple ball" something that floats use your trap lay out as the course, the traps being the holes or green. keep score just like regular golf if you want.The winner gets something like the next flag or whatever.Well just a thought.Any other ideas?

smitty :tipup:

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Re: what do you do when the fishing is slow?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2004, 07:21 AM »
We either watch the Packer game, watch a movie, or play football.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2004, 07:32 AM »
We used to play a modified game of horseshoes/curling. The shoe was a plastic flask of schnaaps and the target was a chipped out hole a couple of inches deep, but not through the ice. You would slide the flask on the ice and try and get it in the hole.If you did, the other person would drink. If you didn't, you would take a swig. Boy we used to go through ALOT of schnaaps.
Pete Lewis

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2004, 09:33 AM »
slipbob, you beat me to it.  When your bite slows, you go find the fish again.  Are we fishing or goofing around?  I'm fishing.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:08 AM »
When the fishing gets slow it usually turns into a snowball fight with the boys, which turns into a wrestling match.  When we fish together were there to fish and have fun, when I fish alone I move around and find fish.  Even when it's slow, you can always catch a few by moving.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:24 AM »
I move or read depending on my mood.  :P
Anthony

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:33 AM »
I 2nd what slipbob says....Move Move & Move! Drill more holes and read with the flasher. I go out on the lake to go ice fishing, not to play winter olypmics. There days when fish are there but they wont hit, I try to move again and look for more active fish.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:44 AM »
I 2nd what slipbob says....Move Move & Move! Drill more holes and read with the flasher. I go out on the lake to go ice fishing, not to play winter Olympics. There days when fish are there but they wont hit, I try to move again and look for more active fish.

You obviously do not have children.  When I fish alone I'm there to fish.  When I fish with the kids, I do what it takes to make sure they have a good time.  If they don't have fun they'll loose intrest.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2004, 11:12 AM »
When it's sloooow,  I move  looking for willing biters.  Or pack it up and go home.  Socializing is fine,  but I leave that for a bar afterwards.  I don't set up tip ups anymore to stay mobile.  Nothing better to drill few more holes to stay warm  ;D                           JaW

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2004, 11:40 AM »
that's the beauty of our great sport - you can do it on any level you want to, and success can be measured in many different ways. 

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2004, 11:52 AM »
  Are we fishing or goofing around?  I'm fishing.

LOL!  ;D

Me too, in fact that's why I fish alone 99 percent of the time because I get so focused I don't want to sit and chitchat or anything like that.  I get two days a week off and during those two days when I can fish, I fish and fish hard.  I have to say that's for me but I know lots of folks that just enjoy spending the day with friends or their children on the ice and they hang out with a spread of tipups.  That's great too and catching fish is just a bonus for many folks.  Either way we all enjoy the sport at different levels some more serious and some more social.  I have to say though that I get pretty dissapointed if I don't catch quite a few fish.  I'm not there for the scenery, I'm there for the fish and I try hard to become a better angler everytime I'm out.
ditto
While I'm young and able to move I will. In 50 years or so when I'm 66 then I might slow down and take a break, but not until then. (of course every now and then if it is sunny in the middle of the day and I am satisfied so far, I am willing to take a nap ;))
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

camo_fish

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2004, 12:29 PM »
yea, if I don't move or start jigging some where else, h*ll I've been know to take a nap or too on the ice...Find a nice place on the bank or snow rock...LOL...just watch it...when the sun is high and warm in the sky...and no fish..on tip-ups...I've just snoozed off before...but you have to watch getting sun burned...and when you wake your back is all stiff from laying in the snow....bbbrrrr....but the sun is so nice some days....zzzzzz.....I'd rather be out on the ice instead of pack it up and going home on such nice days...but if it is misarable out I will pack it in and call it a day.  :P

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2004, 12:30 PM »
I slap Roger around. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2004, 03:42 PM »
I'm gonna stick with eating, drinking and socializing until I want to catch some fish and have to move the gear somewhere else. Got to go home with a whopper story or the wife thinks I'm just out drinking with the boys. LOL
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2004, 04:41 PM »
I'm in the slipbob column on this one. I work hard and keep trying different things and moving around to different locations and depths. To me, just a matter of working hard. No rest for me. People say you go fishing to relax, not me in the least sense.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2004, 04:52 PM »
PERCH HOCKEY!!!

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2004, 05:30 PM »
I'm gonna stick with eating, drinking and socializing until I want to catch some fish and have to move the gear somewhere else. Got to go home with a whopper story or the wife thinks I'm just out drinking with the boys. LOL

Usually when I'm with a large group, I agree with JP, it's more of a social event. Our saying is "it's just fun to be out here, if we catch a fish it's a bonus"  :tipup:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2004, 08:19 PM »
I pretty much keep fishing and moving but lots of days I take a nice snooze in my trap. That's what that padded reclining beach chair is for.

Put the feet up and ..zzzzz...zzzzzzz..zzz zzzzzz....Wake up refreshed and ready for the evening bite. ;D
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2004, 08:37 PM »
I fall asleep and dream about hot fishing ;D

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2004, 01:31 PM »

camo_fish

« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2004, 11:03 PM »
I pretty much keep fishing and moving but lots of days I take a nice snooze in my trap. That's what that padded reclining beach chair is for.

Put the feet up and ..zzzzz...zzzzzzz..zzz zzzzzz....Wake up refreshed and ready for the evening bite. ;D
RG
I fall asleep and dream about hot fishing ;D
Glad to see that others can honestly saw they snooze out on the ice too.  :whistle:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2004, 04:41 AM »
Camo Fish,
My partner and  Fishing Mentor "The Old Man" is the king of the "ice nap".

On one of my first trips with him, many years ago, we were fishing the Seneca River  near Waterloo. I was working some tipdowns, catching perch. Bob decided to go down river to find some of the great bluegills it holds

Time went by and the perch slowed so I packed up and followed his tracks for about a half mile, assuming he had found some action. They led to one of the docks on the shore and there he was. He had pushed some of the snow off the dock and was soundly asleep snoring like a bore grizzly in the throws of hibernation. He hadn't drilled a hole and had been sleeping for more than 2 hours.

With my hand auger, I drilled a hole right next to the dock he was snoozing on and he never stirred. I dumped about a dozen perch on the ice around the hole and proceeded down river to find some bluegills. He never stopped snoring.

A couple of hours (and some nice gills) later I made my way back to find him fishing the hole I drilled next to his dock. He had a pile of gills that covered the perch I had left as a joke and a big smile on his face. He looked up and said "They don't bite mid- day". Lesson learned.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

camo_fish

« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2004, 05:18 AM »
RG, nice story, thanks for sharing.  ;)
Yea, I past out on one of the island on Lake George a few ice seasons ago, I was flying solo, and fish went somewhere else, didn't want to move, had only a hand auger and the ice was think, so I enjoyed the afternoon sun, napped on a well shaped rock that day, LOL.  ;)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2004, 06:51 AM »
What I wanna know is why when Fishin Musician is all alone, in the middle of nowhere, he locks the doors?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2004, 07:12 AM »
Probably playing with his Barbie dolls ::)
RG

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2004, 07:44 AM »
What I wanna know is why when Fishin Musician is all alone, in the middle of nowhere, he locks the doors?

:roflmao:

If you have seen the stuff he has seen in his life, some of which brought on by barley pop and sleep deprovation not to mention his fishing partners planting ideas in his head and messing with him all the time, you would lock your doors too. I just wonder if he was trying to keep the undesirables out or trying to keep himself out.......The world may never know... :blink:

BTW FM, I like your theory of solitude and exploration..Its a beautiful thing... :thumbsup:

There are some days that I will drill hundreds of holes looking for fish. There are other days that I just enjoy being out and if I catch a fish its is truely a bonus. When my kids are with me, moving around all the time is difficult at best and those of you with kids know what it is at worse so on those days I will find a place that they can sight fish for Bluegills and they will be entertained for hours. I don't bring anything to pacify my time otherwise. Watching a Vex still facinates me and I can stay pretty entertained with that one toy. I am not opposed to an icenap when the need arises either...I try to stay flexible and enjoy the time by whatever comes up.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2004, 07:56 AM »
Solitude and exploration.....the best of all for sure. I love fishing alone, especially when the daily routine seems to melt away and all that's left is the fishing.

Zen philosophy explores Enlightenment, Quietude and Intuition...they forgot ice fishing and "Be the ball" ;D

RG

Offline TimC1086

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2004, 11:06 AM »
Hockey! Without the perch... a puck works fine. Hit some rough spots here and there but its still fun...

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2004, 11:35 AM »
I'm with Slipbob and FDC on this one.  Keep moving and find fish.  That is why I'm there.  My fishing time is limited as it is, so I don't have any time to waste.  Although, I've been known to shoot the bull once in a while (especially at our IS rodeos), that isn't my goal on the ice! ::)

I have a daughter but she has no interest in ice fishing.  It's my thing, not hers.  For us, our quality time occurs when I'm not on the ice. And, that amount of time is increasing...so when I'm not on the ice, I'm with her!  She has taken up softball this year and my involvement in her development comes first over any kind of fishing, including ice fishing.  Still, I hope to get a bunch of trips on the ice this year.  After all, she nor my wife like to ice fish, but they sure like to eat what I bring home!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2004, 12:37 PM »
I jump on the sled and go look for moose or deer. Or pack up and go to another lake, it's never too far to try a different lake in Saskatchewan.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.