Author Topic: Nils or Normark hand auger?  (Read 8780 times)

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
Nils or Normark hand auger?
« on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:08 PM »
I put a post in the equipment/auger section a little while ago about buying a Nils hand auger and didn't get very many responses so I figured I'd try posting it here too.  I was wondering if any of you hard water fisherman out there could help me decide on whether to buy a Nils or Normark Finbore III hand auger.  I have a Mora and am not really happy with it.  It takes to much effort to drill even with new blades.  I've heard the offset handles are the way to go.  So if any of you guys have some input let it fly.  I'm all ears/eyes!!  Also has anyone tried HT's hand auger with the offset handles?    Thanks f-n-f

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nils or Normark hand auger?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I have a Normark and love it, but I have never used a Nils.
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline kirkville1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:18 PM »
I have a Normark and love it, but I have never used a Nils.

I have a nils and love it,but never used a Normark

Chris Jones
Team Panfish Persuaders
Navionics Ice Team

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:20 PM »
 :roflmao: Wow!! Can't get a better review from me and kirkville can ya! :roflmao:
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:24 PM »
I have a Nils and it works great, only problem I had, is if you get ice build up on the blades it will just spin on the top of the ice,wipe the blades off and it is fine. never tried a Normark

chimo

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Offset handles are definitely the way to go.  Nils and Normark finbore III are both awesome but the blades for the finbore are easier to find and cheaper.  You can actually use the blades from a laser on the finbore if you need to.  I put 4 years and thousands of holes on my original set of blades on my finbore but need new ones for this year after hitting a rock someone had thrown on the ice  >:(  good fishin

chimo

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I've got an 8" Finbore and absolutely love it. I upgraded from a 6" old school blue Mora.  I compare the effort needed to drill to a 4" Mora. It literally goes through like a hot knife through butter. It was well worth the money spent. My only regret was not upgrading long ago.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:39 PM »
I have a 6" Strikemaster Lazer and love it.  Never used a Nils.  Did use a 6" Mora once and they are not as good as the Strikemaster.  The Mora required more effort and took longer.  I have never used the offset handles, but have heard nothing but good comments on them.

-Jeff

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2009, 05:43 AM »
When you use an auger with off-set handles you are cranking the auger with both arms. It's a big help when you run and gun jigging. I could go all day with my finbore cutting nonstop.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:23 AM »
I use a finbore hand auger for early and late ice prior to bringing out the gas powered jiffy. I think it is a great auger and plan on buying one or two more in different sizes. The replacement blades are readily availble and reasonably price (so if the auger for that matter). I would recomend that off set handles to give you a boost

Offline IcefishrNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:44 AM »
I have the Normark 8" Fin-Bore III, cuts thru like butter. It's well balanced with a good weight and quality built. Never owned another auger so I can't speak for the Nils. Good Luck.

Offline Joe.Pikulski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 1lb 7oz 11in 1/1/09
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2009, 07:36 AM »
You can not go wrong  with a Nils or Fin Bore. I prefer a Fin Bore matched with a Ice Gator. For a hand auger  H T will be a good choice.  While in Poland fishing with the USA Ice Team , the Swedish had a Mora hand auger with a hard plastic head were the blades are mounted on the plastic that  will cut as fast as a gas powered auger. 
Capt. Joe

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:08 AM »
Hi Joe,

What hand auger did Team USA use?

Was there a rule for the diameter of hole teams could use in the World Ice Fishing Championships?

See you in December.

dc

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I own an 8" Nils hand auger and have no complaints.  It is the best auger I have ever owned.  Even my friends prefer to use it over their own augers when we are out on the ice.  It cuts fast and is effortless to operate.  I haven't used a finbore before, but since it has a similar design I'm sure it works great as well.

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:45 AM »
 This ole timer here, went from a spud & axe, to a swedish spoon auger, to a Mora, and finally a Nils.
 I guess its what ever you can afford, and whatever works for you, as long as it does the job. ;)
aka FishingPolski

Offline Joe.Pikulski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 1lb 7oz 11in 1/1/09
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2009, 10:59 AM »
    Four in. was standard for  this championship. The US Team had five in. Lazer . First year fishing against the best ice fisherman in  World. The other teams showed us a thing or two. There will be three try outs for six spots for this upcoming year .      Rhinelander, WI. World Championship 2010  in March.
Capt. Joe

Offline Kilroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Where can a guy purchase a NorMark Fin-Bore III Pro Hand Auger? I see one at Fish307 store but they have no price to go with it. What can I expect to pay for one of these, they sound like the real deal. Thanks.

Kilroy
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/382548/TeamSDlogo1-1.jpg

If It Smells Like Fish And Tastes Like Fish.......It Just Might Be Fish.

Kilroy Was Here ~~~o00o~(_)~o00o~~~

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I think I paid a little more than $100 (not positive) for the 8". I didn't have to pay shipping because the place is also my baitshop. ;). I have no idea what it would cost online. For the effort it's saving me cutting holes it's the best "ice" investment I've made.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:48 PM »
I think I paid a little more than $100 (not positive) for the 8". I didn't have to pay shipping because the place is also my baitshop. ;). I have no idea what it would cost online. For the effort it's saving me cutting holes it's the best "ice" investment I've made.

What about those tipups that you finally strated using, to upgrade from perch to lakers and pike?
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:53 PM »
lol. They were the same old tipup's. I just actually USED them instead of just going out and jigging.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2009, 03:03 AM »
My auger is a 4.5" Fin Bor with a Nils head.....how bout that combination?

It happens that Nils heads fit perfectly on Fin Bor augers. The Fin Bor folds smaller and is lighter than the Nils....the Nils head outlasts and out cuts the Fin Bor head.

I just can't leave anything alone :-\ Gotta find a way to improve it.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Joe.Pikulski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 1lb 7oz 11in 1/1/09
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2009, 07:11 AM »
Thanks for that input, I will give that combo a try.
Capt. Joe

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Wow!!! I want to thank all of you guys for all of your replies!!! I am gonna try and see if I can find some way to see either of these augers before I buy one. Thanks again everyone. F-N-F

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2009, 09:37 AM »
I thought I heard that Lazer blades will fit on a normark?  Or was that something else?

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Got a post back from dkfry on the equipment/auger board and he said the lazer blades will fit the normark auger.

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2009, 12:37 PM »
So does this mean that I could buy a nils head and put it on a lazer?

Something is not right here.  I am guessing not,  noone has said anything about doing that.

Hey fnf  Another from wisconsin!!

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 30, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I vote for the Nils. I bought the 4.5" and it crazy fast. I can drill 15 holes back to back through 2 feet of ice without getting tired. Obviously not the size you want for walleye and pike but it's perfect for perch. Crappies can be a squeeze though.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Oct 30, 2009, 05:49 PM »
"So does this mean that I could buy a nils head and put it on a lazer?"

I don't know, but if it would, you wouldn't get the same results. No inline handle auger will out drill an offset handle auger. Regardless of make.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:46 PM »
My auger is a 4.5" Fin Bor with a Nils head.....how bout that combination?

It happens that Nils heads fit perfectly on Fin Bor augers. The Fin Bor folds smaller and is lighter than the Nils....the Nils head outlasts and out cuts the Fin Bor head.

I just can't leave anything alone :-\ Gotta find a way to improve it.

RG

You must have a fairly old Finbore.(Finbore II I believe) The Finbore III is basiaclly a SM lazer from below the handle with a collar removed to accept the folding handles.

As I said down in the ice auger section I had a Nils but prefer my Finbore and am getting a 4.5" finbore this season. Fish307 sells the Finbore and I think the 6" is like $85 or so. I managed to get mine off ebay brand new for around $60 with shipping because a guy was liquidating his inventory.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Yeah it's got some years on it. I think it is a II.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.