The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trout through the ice  (Read 1687 times)

Offline yakfishbill

• IceShanty Rookie
Trout through the ice
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:17 PM »
Got on some good rainbows last year. What depth do you guys usually find trout through the ice around PA?

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trout through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:18 PM »
my best trout hole this year has been putting a shiner 3 ft under the ice in 8 foot of water. marilla is pretty clear so the trout usually don't have a problem finding it.
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:15 PM »
In my experience trout are everywhere and anywhere.  On the same day and same spot I've caught them from just under the ice to right on the bottom.  Generally though i fish close to the bottom for trout.  Trout are cold water fish and very active during the winter, keep moving until you find them.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:33 PM »
I don't target Trout specifically but the one lake I fish I usually get a token Rainbow or two each trip out.  All of the ones I've caught were caught from the middle of the water column to just below the ice.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:41 PM »
One lake I fish is notorious for suspended trout.  Now whenever I fish it I put almost everything 8-9'  down in 20-25'. the fish cruise a lot but when they come through the action is fast and furious but usually for a brief period.

Offline Iceslick621

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Have caught them at mostly 5-10 ft in the places I've fish, but try different layers in the water column and see where they are at that day

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:31 PM »
I've cought trout out of upper woods ,Duck Harbor,and Harveys,all depts,top to bottom.on all baits....bows,Brooks and Browns.Ive iced some beautiful browns out of Long Pond also.Ive gotten some Decent browns out of PROMPTON years ago.Tipups and jigging at all lakes.Tobbyhanna gives up a lot of put and take brookies.if your after big trout.Harveys,and Duck Harbor are great lake.and never,ever leave out the pack.I like Northland Forage minnows in rainbow tipped with a waxworm or small golden grub....Tip ups with med livebait.i set tip ups from bottom of lake to just a foot under ice.i target Duck Harbor and Long Pont just 15' off the shore with the first tipup and work out to deeper water.my biggest trout threw the ice came from a few yards off shore.early morning seems to produce best for me.
GOOD LUCK.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:40 PM »
Most trout I catch thru the ice are usually caught in the upper 1/2 of water column.

Offline honesdaletom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:33 AM »
there was 5 inches of ice on long pond yesterday. kept a few nice perch and bluegills.

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:24 AM »
there was 5 inches of ice on long pond yesterday. kept a few nice perch and bluegills.
Thxs for report, I'm going to Upper Woods first and if bad ice there I'll hit Long Pond. FT :tipup:

Offline project_rb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2019, 12:05 PM »
I am going to check the ice out on locust lake today. It had an inch or two a month ago when they stocked with brookies but the rain and warm weather probably ruined that. I just added a bunch of ice fishing gear and want to get out and try them but this winter is not cooperating.

To add to this post, this is only my second season ice fishing but the trout I have caught have been up in about 5 to 10 ft but I was only fishing in 12-15 ft. I usually fish the streams and rivers for them all winter long. They love the cold and come barreling out of nowhere.

I was also curious if you were talking about the long pond by the racetrack. That's the one I know and fairly close for me. I have hunted there years ago but thought it was more of a swamp then anything with fish. A lot of the posts here talk about water 2 or more hours away from me. I would be up for it if i knew the ice was fishable.

Offline AHopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2019, 12:11 PM »
I normally fish for trout in 5-10 ft of water and I normally catch them a few inches off the bottom.
Adam Hopper

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:14 PM »
I've caught trout as shallow as literally 2ft of water watching brook trout zip back and fourth chasing the jig to 25ft on the bottom and our in 60+ft of water suspended 30ft down. fresh stocked trout it's tough to beat 5-10ft over weeds or along the weed edges in the boat launch cove that they are stocked. lakes known to hold trout year round I would work the deeper basins from top to bottom. set tip ups at multiple depths, work the bottom jigging and every few mins jig your way up to the top as well as anytime you mark suspended fish on the flasher or graph

Offline Tfleishauer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:12 PM »
Ive done well on hunters lake just under the ice in 4 feet of water on brook trout years ago

Offline daveped

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:05 AM »
We have always had good results fishing a foot or two near the bottom for everything, trout included. Although it does seem like they hang out higher up the water column in fast flow areas where the stream dumps into the lake.

Offline michael reilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:31 PM »
usaully i catch them cruising around up off bottom dont target them much but when do im only a bit bellow ice or if in deeper water like 20 to 25 feet im usaully about 9 or 10 feet down there there they will find you they like the cold water more active

Offline jigtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Keep moving until you find them. Rarely on bottom and they cruise a lot also

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.