The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Moore Reservoir walleye??  (Read 15487 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Moore Reservoir walleye??
« on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:03 PM »
 ::) ::) :tipup: I was sad to find out that Vt. biologist didn't want  walleye stocked in  12 mile long Moore Reservoir and lower Comerford Reservoir :'(     I'm still trying to contact Vt. fishermen who would like to increase the fishery to also include pike and walleye as well as
trout?  It can be done and could compete with even Canadian fisheries??
Any body interested?
Dick

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Moore Reservoir walleye??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:15 PM »
::) ::) :tipup: I was sad to find out that Vt. biologist didn't want  walleye stocked in  12 mile long Moore Reservoir and lower Comerford Reservoir :'(     I'm still trying to contact Vt. fishermen who would like to increase the fishery to also include pike and walleye as well as
trout?  It can be done and could compete with even Canadian fisheries??
Any body interested?
Dick

Aren't there already pike and trout in there?

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Trout... if there is pike I doubt the trout will do well..

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:22 PM »
 ???  Once pike became the big predator it has become a warm water fishery with a few large trout in the deeper channel and upper fast water.
Yellow perch forage seems to be unlimited?   Still seems like a potential for a Canadian/like mixed fishery?
Some one has to make this an issue with your Vt. F&W??  You  own half of Moore and Comerford Reservoir??
Dick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:49 PM »

Unless he lied about his location, there are pike there.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Moore dam used to  be full of large trout but the pike have decimated the trout fishery. Walleye would be a great addition but trying to get  a Vt. biologist to change his/her mind is  near imposssible. Look at the temporary rules for Seymour/Little Averill that have been in effect for a dozen + years. Look at the bait rules , the spike horn rules and the CWD rules  etc.  ::)

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:07 PM »
There was a post all about this very topic in relation to Moore on here last year I believe. Personally, I am a proponent of not introducing new fish into waterways where they haven't been historically. Seen too many trout ponds and rivers destroyed by pike and bass.

Offline Jrmcd282

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:23 PM »
There was zero trout caught at this summer's Derby from what I was told.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:25 PM »
There was a post all about this very topic in relation to Moore on here last year I believe. Personally, I am a proponent of not introducing new fish into waterways where they haven't been historically. Seen too many trout ponds and rivers destroyed by pike and bass.

The pike and bass are already in the waters , the trout population has already tanked . This is why walleye  would be a nice addition to what is now a warm water fishery.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:44 PM »
The pike and bass are already in the waters , the trout population has already tanked . This is why walleye  would be a nice addition to what is now a warm water fishery.

Yeah, I think we oughta just let it be. Shouldn't keep dumping new species into new waters because they can spread. I don't see the fact that the trout population has tanked as being a good rationale here.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Yeah, I think we oughta just let it be. Shouldn't keep dumping new species into new waters because they can spread. I don't see the fact that the trout population has tanked as being a good rationale here.

I love trout and am a member of TU. But in this case the fishery is already tanked like already stated, so might as well intrudce a well loved fish. Also seeing there is walleye in the lower river I don't think they are gonna spread much....

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:05 PM »
I love trout and am a member of TU. But in this case the fishery is already tanked like already stated, so might as well intrudce a well loved fish. Also seeing there is walleye in the lower river I don't think they are gonna spread much....

Well, by "lower river" do you mean below the moore dam? Cause that's obviously impassible to fish moving upstream. If you throw them in Moore, they can get up any tribs below the next dam up, and get into any other lake or pond that may be thus far unspoiled. You're also more apt to get someone without enough sense to not pluck a few from moore and throw them into Maidstone or some of the other trout lakes and pond nearby. Slippery slope. We should stop treating every waterbody as our own personal fish-tank. Every tom dick and harry with a hankering for pike or bass in his local pond is how we got to where we are today. This mentality will eventually bring Asian Carp this way, and that will be a sad day indeed. This is part of the reason why you have to drive to far northern NH or Maine for a crack at a wild brookie over 18" long, without it being some corn-fed brooder with beat up fins and a dull look in its eyes.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Well, by "lower river" do you mean below the moore dam? Cause that's obviously impassible to fish moving upstream. If you throw them in Moore, they can get up any tribs below the next dam up, and get into any other lake or pond that may be thus far unspoiled. You're also more apt to get someone without enough sense to not pluck a few from moore and throw them into Maidstone or some of the other trout lakes and pond nearby. Slippery slope. We should stop treating every waterbody as our own personal fish-tank. Every tom dick and harry with a hankering for pike or bass in his local pond is how we got to where we are today. This mentality will eventually bring Asian Carp this way, and that will be a sad day indeed. This is part of the reason why you have to drive to far northern NH or Maine for a crack at a wild brookie over 18" long, without it being some corn-fed brooder with beat up fins and a dull look in its eyes.

I agree with you 100%! I am also so discusstided with this state as every pond now has bass, pike, or pickerel in them. I feel the state does nothing to fix, stop, or prevent this. Now, with that said I know for a fact walleye are not like these species in the sence that they can repurduce about anywhere. Stocking walleye is very difficult, therefore I highly highly highly doubt they would spread. Walleye are not like bass or pike where once you stock a few you have thousands.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2017, 08:31 AM »
 ;D Madfly?    Great to hear from a TU member with commons sense ;D   I love to fish for trout but I find walleye my second favorite.   Moore Reservoir could have provided a Quebec like warm water fishery.  Your Vt. biologist took three years to finally find a few spawning rainbow and brown trout below Comerford Dam.   To protect these "natural" trout" (living in an almost inaccessible  area)  he convinced NH biologists to stop the walleye project :'(    Remember that both Moore and Comerford   are shared by both Vt. and NH and walleye are the chosen State of Vt warm water fish.  Walleye are a NATIVE Vt. fish while brown trout and rainbow trout are introduced>
Being able to share the walleye cost would have been a super investment for both states.   Instead, tens of thousands of walleye have been stocked in Island Pond, which will never be a self sustaining population.  Walleye in the Conn. River have always been self sustaining!
Dick

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:02 AM »

Unless he lied about his location, there are pike there.

??? Moore was fishing Moore Reservoir and even offers guide service for pike.
Dick

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:08 AM »
;D Madfly?    Great to hear from a TU member with commons sense ;D   I love to fish for trout but I find walleye my second favorite.   Moore Reservoir could have provided a Quebec like warm water fishery.  Your Vt. biologist took three years to finally find a few spawning rainbow and brown trout below Comerford Dam.   To protect these "natural" trout" (living in an almost inaccessible  area)  he convinced NH biologists to stop the walleye project :'(    Remember that both Moore and Comerford   are shared by both Vt. and NH and walleye are the chosen State of Vt warm water fish.  Walleye are a NATIVE Vt. fish while brown trout and rainbow trout are introduced>
Being able to share the walleye cost would have been a super investment for both states.   Instead, tens of thousands of walleye have been stocked in Island Pond, which will never be a self sustaining population.  Walleye in the Conn. River have always been self sustaining!
Dick

There has already been debate about putting walleye in. Both VT and NH came to the conclusion that introducing walleye into waters that have wild trout was NOT a good idea.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:28 AM »
 ;D  Matt,  Seems that you are a serious trout and salmon fisherman?    It would seem that you might have some sympathy for fishermen who would also like to catch  Vt. native warm water fish rather than introduced  rainbow and brown trout?     I will always have my doubt about Vt. and NH biologists decision made because a few large brown trout were electrofished 8 miles below Moore Dam.    There are small tributaries at the same location that are full of self sustaining brook trout,  But they are gobbled up by the Rainbow and Brown trout as they enter the main river??   This is all abutted by land that I managed for 20 years, so I have first hand experience?
Dick

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:41 AM »
;D  Matt,  Seems that you are a serious trout and salmon fisherman?    It would seem that you might have some sympathy for fishermen who would also like to catch  Vt. native warm water fish rather than introduced  rainbow and brown trout?     I will always have my doubt about Vt. and NH biologists decision made because a few large brown trout were electrofished 8 miles below Moore Dam.    There are small tributaries at the same location that are full of self sustaining brook trout,  But they are gobbled up by the Rainbow and Brown trout as they enter the main river??   This is all abutted by land that I managed for 20 years, so I have first hand experience?
Dick

Native or not, they would do more harm than good. Brook trout being eaten by larger trout is nothing new, thats the cycle of life.  Walleye are predators just 3 days after hatching, making them difficult to raise. Theyre also slow growers and fight like logs. 

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:46 AM »
 ???  Matt?  Living in Swanton I would think that you would be a member of the Champlain walleye assoc.?
Dick

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Pike and bass have been the dominant predator fish in Moore for quite some time...!  I was very disappointed when the walleye introduction proposal was shot down -- with the Conn River feeding Moore and the type of bottom and structure throughout, I think it would make a great walleye habitat, and they would be much more compatible with the well-established bass and pike populations than the trout would be...!!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2017, 01:35 PM »
???  Matt?  Living in Swanton I would think that you would be a member of the Champlain walleye assoc.?
Dick

I have no reason to join that - I'm not a big walleye fishermen. I sometimes fish them in the Spring and rarely in the Lake, but if I never caught a walleye again, I wouldn't be phased much.  Cool fish, but not a better target species than most of the other fish in Champlain IMO.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2017, 01:56 PM »
 ???  OK!  I see an obvious bias!   You live near a super walleye are but don't like them??   But it would seem only fair that you don't argue that other fishermen would love to have them??
Dick

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2017, 02:27 PM »
???  OK!  I see an obvious bias!   You live near a super walleye are but don't like them??   But it would seem only fair that you don't argue that other fishermen would love to have them??
Dick

I have spent my fair share of time in the Spring on a boat and on shore targeting eyes in the Winooski and Lamoille. Have also fished the Salmon Hole opener at midnight countless times. The only thing I care for is the meat. Im not saying people shouldn't want walleye - but they would clearly do more harm than good in these circumstances. 

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2017, 03:46 PM »
 ???  Matt ?   you get to choose trout or walleye at your door.  But understand how others want more walleye fisheries.  I'm also biased  with a hope that the Conn. River reservoirs might produce  a walleye fishery as good as your Champlain Valley river have in the past?
Dick

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Obviously there are several posters here that have NEVER fished Moore dam area  and maybe don't know where it is . ::) Talks about tribs and walleye escaping up those tribs is total nonsense. Walleyes exist in the Conn river down stream about ten miles(in the same area as your wild trout) ,they just need a helping hand over a few dams and they will be in the reservoir . I'm not advocating illegal bucket stocking but  state sponsored stocking.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Obviously there are several posters here that have NEVER fished Moore dam area  and maybe don't know where it is . ::) Talks about tribs and walleye escaping up those tribs is total nonsense. Walleyes exist in the Conn river down stream about ten miles(in the same area as your wild trout) ,they just need a helping hand over a few dams and they will be in the reservoir . I'm not advocating illegal bucket stocking but  state sponsored stocking.

Thanks Again ;D  Maybe progress in the future management?
Dick

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:35 PM »

Eyes are not native to that part of CT. And yes I have fished in the area of Moore and have heard of plenty of huge trout coming out of there. The last thing that place needs are walleye eating wild trout (which I have also caught in that area) especially below Moore. I dont know specifics but I do know eyes are much harder to raise than trout or salmon. As someone previously said, after just a few days of hatching theyll actually start eating eachother.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Walleye might be native to VERMONT but they are not native to the upper CT River watershed, as far as I know. So let's not not use political lines to decide where to stock fish... In the past, when we put up dams all over the CT, and sea run Atlantic Salmon stopped showing up, people said, "'tis a shame, but we like to catch fish, so let's put rainbows and browns in there!". Then the trout fishing was good, right? Fast forward to today, when ostensibly later introduced bass and pike have "destroyed" the trout population (which, I don't buy - plenty of huge trout getting caught there, by these hands even), the argument here is, well, it's too hard to catch these big trout, so let's put in walleye? Is it just me, or are we just trying to solve one problem by potentially introducing another with this approach? You want Walleye? More power to you! But go to where they are native, like Champlain, or somewhere in the Midwest. They don't belong in the upper CT River watershed. To a hammer, every problem looks like a nail... To a walleye fisherman, every puddle seems to need some walleye.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Browns and Rainbows are not native to the Ct watershed either so how is it OK to continue stocking those fish but not walleye? I believe that trout and walleye can and have coexisted. The Waterbury Rez had both big Browns, Brookies and Rainbows as well as a healthy walleye population prior to the 1986 drain down for dam repairs. Just saying.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Browns and Rainbows are not native to the Ct watershed either so how is it OK to continue stocking those fish but not walleye? I believe that trout and walleye can and have coexisted. The Waterbury Rez had both big Browns, Brookies and Rainbows as well as a healthy walleye population prior to the 1986 drain down for dam repairs. Just saying.

I am not advocating stocking browns and rainbows there. I like to catch them, but would prefer native species wherever I fish. You can of course argue you'll never get rid of pike, bass, and in some case, rainbows and browns, but my point was more about not stocking any additional species that don't belong there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.