Author Topic: New to NH  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Devin Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
New to NH
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Hello everyone this is my first year ice fishing in NH and I'm not real familiar with the area. I currently live in Dover and could use recommendations on good lakes to try an fish and launch points. A little back ground about myself, I grew up fishing on the Great Lakes for norther pike and walleye. I've been in the Navy for the last & years and haven't had a chance to ice fish and I'm look forward to getting back into the sport. Thanks for the help.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New to NH
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:41 PM »
wecome , sorry im not from there, im sure someone will chime in.
good luck !  ;)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Welcome to the 603!
And thank you for your service....
You can find tons of info on the NH Fish and Game site like maps, launches, species, etc.
Also using the search option on this site will give you all kinds of info.
Steering you towards places all depends on what you're targeting?
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Guppyseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Bellamy is a good spot just to get out mostly bass and crappie . Off rt9 there is access or I tend to go on the backside newts road . I generally go up to winnie worth the drive on the weekends I started targeting white perch and I havent found any locally and just seems to be more action up north.There is also a pond off rt108 in Dover never fished it but I'm told they do good there also, they do stock but I think it's mostly bass . Ayers lake in barrington  another bass lake local but get there early not allot of parking 

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:45 AM »
Also get your hands on one of these...where I don’t know..sometimes they have them at Walmart but you might find one online

when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Devin,   No walleye or pike close to Dover.  Winnipesaukee is only 45 minutes away and in the long run might provide you with some great fishing once you find your way around.   I grew up in Dover and loved to ice fish the Bellamy for crappie and blue gill.   
Let us know what you have for gear and what fish you might like to target and I bet you will get lots of good advice.   My dad was a Chief Warrant out of Portsmouth.  He hated ice fishing so I had to learn alone!  Its a long winter if you don't ski or ice fish?
Dick

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Welcome to NH.  Thank you for your service Devin. USN HM2 here. This is a good year to get back into ice fishing.  Lots of great info on this site. Fair amount if people are from your neck of the woods. Read up on previous posts and definitely check out the NH bathymetry map page. Lots of good info there including all the bait dealers. Good bunch of guys here. Enjoy your time out there. Good luck
Salmonemia

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Welcome, and thank you for your service.

Covered bridge sports/Dover marine is a local shop with some good info, and a decent selection of freshwater equipment. One of the guys who works in the fishing department will definitely provide some great intel on local spots.

If your into trout, and warm water species besides pike & walleye winni is a Great Lake. It’s huge but it offers a ton of variety.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. Plenty of places where you are at depends on what you want to target.

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Hey Devin. Willand Pond is just off 108 in Dover and just past Covered Bridge Sports that someone else mentioned. Also Barbadoes Pond is off Route 9 just South of the Bellamy Reservoir. Never fished either but I know they get stocked.

Merrymeeting is about 30 minutes Northwest of you off Route 11 & likely your closest lake for Lake Trout. They so exist but I've never pulled one  through the ice here. Parking at the launch right across from the fish hatchery fills up quickly though on weekends so if you don't know anyone who lives on the lake parking can be an issue.

Check out the NH fish & game site for some good bathymetric maps that show species & public access for water bodies.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Welcome Devin. Lots of places to fish around "Dovah".

I'd stay off Barbadoes Pond though, for ice fishing.

:nono: :callcops: :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.