Author Topic: 4 x 4 atv's  (Read 13043 times)

Offline perchman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
4 x 4 atv's
« on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:40 PM »
I do not own , or have ever owned a 4x4 ATV. Would like to buy a 4 x4 to ice fish
and maybe have the power to some day plow my driveway with it. Whats your
recommendation for model and size.  Automatic would also be nice. Any help would be great
thanks in advice

surflizard

Re: 4 x 4 atv's
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Going on my 3rd year with my Polaris, it has made my life a heck of a lot easier !  :thumbsup:

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2011, 02:02 PM »
An excellent question...I am in the same position.  What would be the minimum size engine?  400CC?

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2011, 02:10 PM »
It depends on how much gear you haul out. I have a sportsman 500 and it has been the perfect all around wheeler. 4WD and chains you will be all set.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2011, 02:10 PM »
If you want to plow, i wouldn't go under 450.

There's a lot of good quads out there, I'd go for one with EFI and diff lock.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2011, 02:21 PM »
I've got a polaris 400 and have pulled 8 foot logs out of my woods with it.  I've been plowing snow with it too for the last 4 years with no problems

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2011, 02:36 PM »
I have a 400 and since it has low range it has plenty of power.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I have a 93' polaris trail blazer 4x4 350cc its lighter than a 4 stroke plows great and I haul my clam all tackle and proipane tanks and auger on it when I go fishing.  its sweet and runs great and was CHEAP!
Getem caught

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Down on the farm, we always had Polaris four-wheelers, and some that lasted quite a long time.  Unfortunately, the newer Polaris four-wheelers (these were around 2000-2005) just didn't seem to hold up as well as the older ones.  They always ran well, but the bodies on them just weren't that rugged.  We got an Arctic Cat a couple of years back, I think it is a 650 EFI, and it has 4x4 with a differential lock.  What a machine!  It runs great, starts easily even during the winter when it usually gets used for logging, and is extremely rugged (no more sticks going through the floorboards and wheel wells).  It goes anywhere, even in a decent amount of snow.  It is quite large and heavy though, so I would keep that in mind too. 
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I've got a 400 Eiger (suzuki). I put tracks on it. (replaced the wheels with Mattracks). GOES EVERYWHERE! Drags 350+ lbs. of gear in a jet sled (I sleep out several days at a time, so I need tons of crap to do so). My eiger works for me!

Offline little bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:48 PM »
There are a lot of good 4x4 out there. Most has to do with what you are going to use it for IMO i would not go smaller that a 500cc if you intend to plow with it and also how much gear you haul on the ice. I have a 2008 Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000 4x4 EFI, it runs great easy starting in the winter. 

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:27 PM »
best bang for your buck sportsman 500.  you can get a smoking deal on them brand new with the rebates from polaris.  I have a sportsman 800 touring polaris makes great machines.  If your sole purpose is for ice fishing I would really consider a snowmobile though.  Last year a atv was worthless for ice fishing with all the slush we had on oneida lake. 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2011, 09:23 PM »
I have a Polaris 550XP - I thought it was a beast with ice screws in all four tires - I added a Tatou track system late last season.  I don't think Oneida can stop it now. --  we'll see.

Offline ICE_MONKEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2011, 09:53 PM »
I'm a yamaha fan, I have a kodiak 450. It has hi and low range w/differential lock. I plow with a 60" blade. Have never had a plroblem with it. If I were to buy new I would go with the griz 550 with power steering. I don't need anymore power but wouldn't mind the griz 700, boys and there toys ;D

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What? ANOTHER wind flag? @!*/ !
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:23 AM »
It depends on how much gear you haul out. I have a sportsman 500 and it has been the perfect all around wheeler. 4WD and chains you will be all set.
Have to agree with Ranger.......that Polaris sportsman 500 of mine is simply awesome. I plow, haul my thermal clam and ramble with it. I take it to the powerlines at night to call in fox and Yotes. BUT....beware the cheaper used 4 wheelers on Craigslist or especially that Swapsheet, very few machines that dont need a small fortune invested for repairs..............

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:54 AM »
I have a2009 kawasaki prairie 360 4x4 with a differential level and high/low gearing...let me tell you this that machine will do anything allllllll the other machines previously mentioned will do and you are saving yourself 1500 bucks...I bought ITP mudlite xl tires for it and it does what you want it to do...I take it icefishing I hook up the trailer to it once I get there and load with 4 guys gear huts and all and everyone piles in the trailer and I haul their butts out there with a big smile on my face!!!!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:00 PM »
I do not own , or have ever owned a 4x4 ATV. Would like to buy a 4 x4 to ice fish
and maybe have the power to some day plow my driveway with it. Whats your
recommendation for model and size.  Automatic would also be nice. Any help would be great
thanks in advice

Just make sure what you buy has a reputable dealer or service shop nearby.  We have a couple of 450 Yamaha Kodiaks with plows for the winter and are range riders for the rest of the year.  One machine had a tie rod end replaced last year after 5 years of riding.  They had Pooplarises before,  spent more time in sick bay than working.

Offline natep24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:35 PM »
I have a 1996 Polaris Xplorer 400 liquid cooled. i have a 50" plow and rear tire chains. i do not have a problem plowing. I also tow my 8x10 shanty out with it and i have no problems.
Nate P
Firefighter/EMT

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Honda all day long. They last forever and retain there value. My 02' Foreman 450 has 5100 miles and working on getting tracks for her now! Just make sure if you buy used, really look the bike over. Good luck and post pics of what you get.

Offline laWy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 AM »
I would also suggest something with a pull start back up. I have an 08 arctic cat 500. It has been a great machine.
I hope that after I die my wife doesn't sell my toys for the same price I told her I bought them for

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:39 PM »
If you can stick with Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda thats your best bet. I have been around ATV's most of my life, rode most of them, beat most of them and by far the best i have been on is yamaha, honda and suzuki.

i currently own a new 550EFI Grizzly that is my ice fishing ATV, plows my driveways, and used alot for trail riding 3 seasons of the year. So far, it's been fantastic. Just bought a Suzuki kindquad for my wife (price was too good) and its proven to be fantastic as well after 1000 miles so far. Personally i run from polaris and AC. Just never had much good to say. Been on them many times, The new Polaris ATV's have plastic racks, they are heavy as a truck, and get poor mileage. they are comfy but thats where it ends.

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2012, 04:27 PM »
I avoid any machine that uses a belt! Gets wet, slips, pucks wear out, list goes on. Its hard to top a honda. Look at their cases and engines after 20 years and still grey. My last machine was a Polaris RZR and after a few times in the snow the belt slipped and everything was rusty. The new 420 Rancher is a nice machine with auto tranny and even power steering. Much less than a large cc machine and will do most anything needed.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:37 PM »
I'm quite happy with my outlander 650. It's big and heavy, but I like it.

-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:40 PM »
I have a 2010 Polaris 550XP efi - it's an awesome machine.  The belt does not get wet and slip.  I have nearly 2000 miles on this machine and it has been the most reliable wheeler of the three I've owned - Yamaha, Honda and Susuki.  My biggest concern was no pull start.  Has not been an issue - I carry a small battery pack with me and it serves multiple purposes.  Extra batter for my shelter lights, flasher, etc.
Get an efi machine, for sure.  They like cold weather way better than any carb model.

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I'm quite happy with my outlander 650. It's big and heavy, but I like it.
(Image removed from quote.)

Is that a homemade bed extender you got there or did you pick that up somewhere? Looks pretty slick.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:31 PM »
It's home grown.  ;D

Here's another angle.

-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:24 AM »
I have a 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 that I bought used 10 or more years ago, still running strong, same tires, never been in the shop cept for the little choke lever that came off.
It's seen mountain roads, woodedtrails, farm lands, been buried in mud and had it out on the pond.  Never has left me walking.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:34 AM »
I have an 05 Arctic Cat. Never had a problem starting and has never been in the shop except for an oil change. It has a wet clutch and  is belt driven. Never a wet belt of any belt slippage at all. Kinda heavy and doesn't ride like a Cadillac, but I don't expect an ATV to be like sitting on a marshmallow. If I buy another it will be an AC also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:38 PM »
i think they are all great machines. mines a polaris 500x2 with dump, its a little low for deep snow but has never stopped me with chains. older machines with rear axles i would stay away from, 500 or bigger with tracks is the perfect setup.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:07 PM »
My first 4x4 ATV was a Yamaha 350 Wolverine. I eventually replaced it with a 2001 Sportsman 500. The suspension was a lot softer but to be honest I enjoyed the Wolverine more and felt it was a much better all around ATV. It was much lighter, narrower in the leg area and more responsive with the 5 speed trans. I plowed snow with it with no chains and drive it in the snow and on lakes with no chains and it was a great quad. It's Achilles was it always got water in the rear differential whenever I got it in the water.

Now i have a RZR and really enjoy it. I have put nearly 2000 miles on it with no trips to the dealer for anything. The only thing I changed was to install an aftermarket intake to get it out of the rear wheel well and out of the dust.I will never own anything but a SXS again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.