The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New "Lake That Shall Not Be Named" info!  (Read 2270 times)

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, and than fish some more!
New "Lake That Shall Not Be Named" info!
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I made a video a week ago about a certain lake and a bunch of you opened my eyes to the term "hotspotting" and the damaging effects it can have. 

After all of the spirited discourse I was a little worried about what the people count would be on the ice this last Saturday (as my fellow weekend warriors would be headed out ice fishing to the location).

Crazy enough, a nice gentlemen by the name of Zach (on one of the montana ice fishing facebook groups) said he was there Saturday and said their was an INSANE 2 other people there fishing.  Can you believe it?!
1 week after uploading, my video actually decreased the amount of people that visited the location.  I don't know whether I should be insulted or amazed.  Either way, I thought it was pretty funny and wanted to share.

Tight lines and safe ice!

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New "Lake That Shall Not Be Named" info!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:24 PM »
How do you know the video itself directly influenced the lack of people?

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Lots of different variables could influence that specific situation

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:58 PM »
of course nobody was there.  You caught all the trout last time.  Nobody is dumb enough to waste their time fishing in a bathtub with no fish.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:46 PM »
of course nobody was there.  You caught all the trout last time.  Nobody is dumb enough to waste their time fishing in a bathtub with no fish.
I released half of em though so people could go back for the only small ones in the lake! ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:54 PM »

I came here to say that.  ;D
wish you many hook-ups

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:23 AM »
i am giving you the benefit of the doubt.. i would think you are a loyal friend and caring sibling etc....but your videos are so infantile from a skilled level of fishing...and sorry..so sorry to say this...but it comes off as really douchay since we all know you have no ice fishing skills or experience...get some experience on the ice...and then post some videos...what you are posting now is horse shat....not trying to be a d....just not vibin with this posting everything mentality that you have

This is only my 3rd year ice fishing and I am definitely inexperienced and a novice at it.  This actually makes it more fun for me because I love improving and getting better at something I am not good at. 

The videos aren't to brag about what an expert fisherman I am (I am very aware I am NOT) nor are the videos meant to display the biggest and best catches on the ice.  They are meant to be an entertaining recap of a fishing adventure that I had.  Of course the hope is that others can enjoy the adventure whether they are into fishing or not.  I probably end up enjoying them more than anyone because it is a video diary/recap of a fun day I had fishing and I love looking back at the different trips I have made. 
I look forward to one day sharing the videos with my children (and eventually grandchildren) and getting them excited about fishing and showing them you can have a fun day fishing even if you only catch a small Pike. 

You don't need to be the gatekeeper on what qualifies as video worthy, because at the end of the day we are all just enjoying our hobby and sharing with others, whether its a picture of your first pike or a video.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2019, 02:00 AM »
good post gened….but ya gotta follow the whole story....all your words are accurate...but there are more lyrics to the songs and stories....

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2019, 02:15 AM »
btw...you will never see any videos from me....old school says no no.....but that's me...grab a history book and learn a lesson....

Offline PablitoPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Old school Montana ice fisherman meet millennial hipster Californian  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Old school Montana ice fisherman meet millennial hipster Californian  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yikes, I am not from California, definitely don't want to be associated with that lot. 

Also I was unaware hipsters were into hunting and fishing, hmm, that doesn't seem right.

As far as millennial, you got me there! haha

Offline PablitoPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline PablitoPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Oh you're from Hillsboro, OR aka Portland...much better :roflmao:

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Oh you're from Hillsboro, OR aka Portland...much better :roflmao:
I grew up in western Oregon yes, but have lived here in Montana here for over 4 years.  My wife and I own a home here on our small 5 acres and are planning on staying here for life.  We love everything about Montana and consider it our home. We have family, friends, and a church here and plan on never leaving.   

I am not one of those liberal hipsters from Portland, OR (yuck) and actually disagreed with pretty much everything politically and ethically that Portland stands for. 

Offline Bullride21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Well thanks for you useless info.  I will be sure to check your next post.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Well thanks for you useless info.  I will be sure to check your next post.

(Please mods/admins, I am being civil and respectful here just trying to explain the stupid drama, not trying to stir it up, please don't close this post)

As a thought exercise, try to see it from my perspective.  I posted videos on this forum every week for 2 other ice fishing seasons and never even got one angry comment.  Then I made a video sharing my best ice fishing trip I had with an emotion fueled title and grabbing imagery. The extremely vocal minority proceeded to tear me a new one and claimed I ruined fishing at the spot in the video.  They went on to allude that I am evil incarnate for not agreeing with them on that "fact".  Then I hear an update that exactly a week later the amount of people fishing there is almost the same and that traffic to the area has only increased a little bit during the week. 

In conclusion, the vocal opposition blew it WAY out of proportion.  I had numerous private messages from people on my side encouraging me with nice messages.  It seemed they didn't want to post in the main thread since the people in there were out for blood on this apparently controversial issue.  I even made a poll about my videos and only 3 (out of the 20 something that participated before the thread was removed) said they didn't want me making videos and wanted me to leave.  Most people were nice about it and didn't mind me making videos and posting them here.

I feel I have been genuine in my thoughts and arguments on the matter and had been met with mostly happenstance and emotion fueled rage comments.

With that being said, to try and not stir up additional drama or controversy, this will be the last thing I say on this specific matter, as I am sure the dead horse has had enough beatings.

Tight lines and safe ice!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:02 PM »
It's OK BoomerFTW.  Just make your video's and keep posting cause they are pretty good but need Black Sabbath music.  Just be courteous of others when filming, you know, don't voyeur on others.  I for one, have a face for radio.  It don't matter if you name the place.  One man alone is not gonna burn a lake up.  If the Shanty crowd don't want to watch them, it's OK.  None of us are here for a popularity contest, or I would win, right... ????

I am like those opposition in the sense that I think I am the only one that fishes my places.  In reality, someone has been there before me and will be there 30 years after me.

When you find hot spots tho, PM me the GPS coordinates before posting the vid.  I wana beat the crowd. ;D
These guys bash everyone and we all have our turn.  Kinda gives the feel like real family that way. :thumbsup:
wish you many hook-ups

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Just be thankful it not NY. We got so many ice fishermen that I swear they put trackers on each others cars to find their secret fishing spots.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Please PM me the brand and model number of the trackers......for a friend and his research of course.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:39 AM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty Boomer,the land of priks with nothing better to do than trash talk anyone that isnt identical to themselves.Keep the vids coming,most entertaining thing on the forum this year.
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.