Author Topic: How to set up my new tip ups  (Read 633 times)

Offline adam2369

• Team IceShanty Regular
How to set up my new tip ups
« on: Dec 18, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Well now that I own my first set of tip ups, can anyone tell me the best way to set them up for Walleye, perch, and bass. I have seen hooks on the bottom, sinkers on the bottom, snelled hooks, treble hooks, more than one hook. I am sure all of these methods serve a purpose, but which is more relaible. Thank you.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
Re: How to set up my new tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:00 PM »
For those species I'd go with 6-8lb flouro leader 3-5' long, swivel to backing. #10 treble with a small split shot a foot over.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:04 PM »
It really depends on the body of water your fishing. Some lakes perch and bass will hit a minnow on a single hook, using steel leaders. Other lakes, you would need a length of leader(your choice of materials) and small trebles. Nice thing with tip ups is being able to set multiple line at different depths.
When you find the fish move the other baits to where that one was.
Hope this helps a little.

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Adam,
First of all congrats on the tip ups.  I strictly fish perch and walleye and I rig mine up with normal white ice fishing line and then a two foot leader.  I usually use 40lbs spiderwire (not really wire, its like a green material that moves freely) for the leader and often throw some light green spinners above the swivel that attaches the line and leader.  I will add a couple small sinkers above the swivel to kep the bait down.  I use a single hook (I have tried trembles but don't seem to get the same action with them) usually blood red and size 4 or 6 but usually 6.  Not saying that my set up is the best out there but it works pretty well for me.  Congrats again and I am sure you will be hooked after the first flag  :tipup:
J3W

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Well now that I own my first set of tip ups, can anyone tell me the best way to set them up for Walleye, perch, and bass. I have seen hooks on the bottom, sinkers on the bottom, snelled hooks, treble hooks, more than one hook. I am sure all of these methods serve a purpose, but which is more relaible. Thank you.

X2

I also slid a button on the backing to mark depth and tied a snap swivel befor leader. This way I can switch to pike leaders easly.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:45 PM »
FLOROCARBON,FLOROCARBON,FLOROCARBON. use a FLOROCARBON leader off regular tip up line. smallest hook you think you can get away with(less damage to the minnow). tie up extra leaders if one get bit up by a toothy critter. perch use 4# leader. walleye 6-8# pike20-30# leader material. :tipup:

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:43 AM »
FLOROCARBON,FLOROCARBON,FLOROCARBON. use a FLOROCARBON leader off regular tip up line. smallest hook you think you can get away with(less damage to the minnow). tie up extra leaders if one get bit up by a toothy critter. perch use 4# leader. walleye 6-8# pike20-30# leader material. :tipup:

X2

Adjust the length of your leader depending on the water Clarity.   Very clear water, and spooky fish = longer Florocarbon leader.

Tight lines and stay on top.

Wiener

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:12 AM »
i put hook that has its own leader about a #2 with a sinker 12" below it. and adjust the size minnow for the fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.