New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223499 times)

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #720 on: Mar 03, 2017, 01:24 PM »
Is there enough ice to protect the walleye preparing to spawn in the Kayaderosseras??????

Nope, I heard they were pushing for a March 1st end of the season to help alleviate the pressure but that's not the case this year...
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #721 on: Mar 03, 2017, 02:23 PM »
That's too bad. I don't think the March 1 rule is in place as of now, so the boats are probably tied to each other at the mouth of the creek...

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #722 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:44 PM »
March 1st rule is in affect next year. Not this year....so The Wolf's will still be down there until the 15th stealing multiple limits each day.

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #723 on: Mar 03, 2017, 04:18 PM »
No ice anywhere - only thing we can hope is the wind stays up so it's too rough for boats - except then we won't be able to get on the flats for gills and crappies - guess we'll have to hope ethics rule the day

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #724 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:38 PM »
It really stinks that this same thing happened several years ago and NOW next year it will be in place. The people headed there certainly don't care about our present and future resources but to increase their own personal gain. NOT SPORTSMAN in my book. I don't fish there but this thing could have ripple effects from the owners around the lake further reducing access.
      Kim ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #725 on: Mar 03, 2017, 09:02 PM »
It does suck but if it's advertised too much on the net that isn't going to reduce the pressure on those fish at all.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #726 on: Mar 04, 2017, 11:30 AM »
It does suck but if it's advertised too much on the net that isn't going to reduce the pressure on those fish at all.

^^^   What he said... I bet most people on here go there and fish the spot as well they just keep their limits.... if its open season honestly I don't have an issue with people fishing over there if they keep there limit.... the DEC officers could get a very nice meal if they wanted to  ;D

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #727 on: Mar 04, 2017, 04:01 PM »
March 1st rule is in affect next year. Not this year....so The Wolf's will still be down there until the 15th stealing multiple limits each day.

Unless DEC comes up with an emergency regulation change, which is very uncommon, you will not see a March 1 closing of walleye season as a special Saratoga County (lake) regulation until after April 1, 2019. The reason is that DEC just issued a series of regulation changes and they only do this every two years. So, it won't actually be realized until March, 2020.

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #728 on: Mar 05, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Nothing in the new proposed rules looks like its game on

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #729 on: Mar 05, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Dec should entertain the idea of a slot limit and possible 3 fish limit. then people can still enjoy casting for walleye during the prime time. I'm sure it's been a tradition to many anglers to go catch them this time of the year. I bet there are atleast a dozen guys that are bent there changing things. And the only reason it's an issue is because social media has instantly made every one a good angler, not great anglers but anyone with half a brain can search and find in great detail how to catch a specific fish, where to catch, what time to catch. All the guess work has been taken out and plastered all over the internet...this years ice season for me was the most anoyed  I've ever been. Literally watched a place go from a population of 5 guys in a day to 25 before I stopped going. Coulda been up 50 from how things were headin due to social media. Word would spread back in the day in passing but now it's viewed by half a million people in a matter of seconds if you have the followers on twitter. It's only going to get worse I feel. The amount of anglers is increasing while our lakes and rivers remain the same size.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #730 on: Mar 06, 2017, 04:26 AM »
Dec should entertain the idea of a slot limit and possible 3 fish limit. then people can still enjoy casting for walleye during the prime time. I'm sure it's been a tradition to many anglers to go catch them this time of the year. I bet there are atleast a dozen guys that are bent there changing things. And the only reason it's an issue is because social media has instantly made every one a good angler, not great anglers but anyone with half a brain can search and find in great detail how to catch a specific fish, where to catch, what time to catch. All the guess work has been taken out and plastered all over the internet...this years ice season for me was the most anoyed  I've ever been. Literally watched a place go from a population of 5 guys in a day to 25 before I stopped going. Coulda been up 50 from how things were headin due to social media. Word would spread back in the day in passing but now it's viewed by half a million people in a matter of seconds if you have the followers on twitter. It's only going to get worse I feel. The amount of anglers is increasing while our lakes and rivers remain the same size.
great post Andy,I have been crying slot limits for years for all species in all lakes.I personally look at other states and province that have slot limits and look at the fisheries there they are fantastic with lots of trophy fish to be caught along with great eating size fish......the best of both worlds

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #731 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:12 PM »

I agree with slot limits too.  Great idea and happy to oblige. I think most decent anglers do it already on their own.

As for social media and fishing...it's definitely changed things.  I made myself leave a lesser known pike spot in the Berkshires because there was 30 people on it by 7am...prior to it being mentioned on the Web several times maybe 3 or 4 groups was average...this 600 acre lake had 10-12 groups before the sun was up...

The beauty of it though is you can still go where the lemmings will not or do not go.  Mainly spots that don't have giant boat launches, gas stations near by, ect.

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #732 on: Mar 06, 2017, 11:00 PM »
5 nice eyes caught and released 4 of which were female just enjoy the bend of a open water rod.  Couple morons decided to keep females makes me sick seeing that.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #733 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:10 AM »
Water temp is still 34/35 degrees in most places and when I was out yesterday, I marked most of my fish deep. Didn't sound/see like anybody was catching much and I was out all day until 5. 4 fish on the day, 3 females & 1 male with the largest weighing in at #2.4 - all released. Only one group fishing from shore that I noticed. Unfortunately though, its going to be a long 7 days to close out the season. I have family who live over there that say the parking lot is filled with cars almost every night now :(

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #734 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:02 AM »
Will not help by putting ANY info on here....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #735 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:16 AM »
I have fished Saratoga a few times but far fromany kind of lake expert ,I guess my question is ,why the fear  most years  you'd still be on the ice hammering them whats wrong with people doing it in open water ? I would assume after such a easy winter  a lot of fish usually taken during the ice  are still swimming .....

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #736 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:26 AM »
As far as fish not taken during ice season, I think I personally heard of more eyes being taken this season then any season iv been paying attention to toga. As far as why its the open water guys its because they stack up in a creek and pluck breeders out one right after another.

Offline Crappie Killr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #737 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:40 PM »
I just drove by and the parking lot, although very small, it was completely filled with walleye pirates. I know it's legal, and if someone wants to keep and eat a limit of males, I'm cool with that. But you know there are those that are going for a stringer of the biggest fish they can get and will keep all females. I fish Toga eyes a lot in the open water season and it seems the walleye fishing has improved a little over the past few years, it's still nothing like it used to be and no where close to sacandaga in numbers. These guys pulling out the female breeders are not true fisherman. Being a true fisherman isn't about how many or how big of fish you can catch, a true fisherman does what's right for sustainability of the body of water they are fishing on.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #738 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Maybee dec should make the regulations more gender specific? The walleye pirates, or wolfes you guys speak of are doing absolutely nothing wrong. It just sucks that everyone and there brother now does it. Targeting a fish during its spawn is nothing new we do it to stripers and salmon all the time.

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #739 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:18 PM »
76,609,680 walleye stocked in Saratoga Lake by DEC 2011-15. Does not look like this is a self-sustaining fishery. If it's legal, keep it!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/23233.html
https://data.ny.gov/Recreation/Fish-Stocking-Lists-Actual-Beginning-2011/e52k-ymww

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #740 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:58 PM »
I guess I'm just not getting the difference between taking pre spawn walleyes threw the eyes  compared to threw open water........ and if one only takes a legal limit ,in legal water ,using legal tactics  then whats wrong?

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #741 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:55 PM »
I agree trapper might as well close deer season during the rut. ::)
I live back in the woods you see

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #742 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:59 PM »
I guess I'm just not getting the difference between taking pre spawn walleyes threw the eyes  compared to threw open water........ and if one only takes a legal limit ,in legal water ,using legal tactics  then whats wrong?

I think the issue is that it was alleged last year (just from what i read and heard around town) is that people were taking there legal limits back to their vehicle and starting all over again.

Several people i know reported the abuse and nothing was done about it.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #743 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:10 AM »

In my eyes, there isn't any difference between somebody keeping a large female through the ice or via open water - it's just wrong. The larger the female is, the more offspring she produces. Those offspring generally have a much higher chance of survival as well as increased growth factors in the fry as oppose to smaller breeding females. Bigger fish have better genes and it's those genes we want to sustain the population.

Since the Kayaderosseras is the main spawning location for walleyes in the lake, it concentrates all the fish making those large females much easier to catch. Couple that with greedy fishermen, and you get yourself a situation where people limit out day after day with large pre spawn females.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #744 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:30 AM »
In my eyes, there isn't any difference between somebody keeping a large female through the ice or via open water - it's just wrong. The larger the female is, the more offspring she produces. Those offspring generally have a much higher chance of survival as well as increased growth factors in the fry as oppose to smaller breeding females. Bigger fish have better genes and it's those genes we want to sustain the population.

Since the Kayaderosseras is the main spawning location for walleyes in the lake, it concentrates all the fish making those large females much easier to catch. Couple that with greedy fishermen, and you get yourself a situation where people limit out day after day with large pre spawn females.

well the state biologist, the NYDEC , and  state   legislature all disagree with you . not to mention  the state  put in 8.5 million walleyes in  in a  year period I think and this is opinion , your looking for a boogy man . these  guys are simply fishing

I think the issue is that it was alleged last year (just from what i read and heard around town) is that people were taking there legal limits back to their vehicle and starting all over again.

Several people i know reported the abuse and nothing was done about it.

not saying this isn't possiable  but when ever I have  called the DEC it was a fairly quick response and  the infomation gave  including   boat numbers and  licence plate numbers  were taken  and used .....this is not to say there  isn't  poachers  that would  take over  their limit ...^5 to your friends that made the call

keep in mind  these are all opinions and  what counts  is  following the law

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #745 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:46 AM »
keep in mind  these are all opinions and  what counts  is  following the law

Well said

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #746 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:06 AM »
So ....  where do i park?  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #747 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:10 AM »
 :roflmao: next to me ;D

with 8,600,000 eyes  going in  a year I'd say the words put and take  should ring a bell

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #748 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:24 AM »
They could close it to ALL fishing as they do here...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #749 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:40 AM »
well the state biologist, the NYDEC , and  state   legislature all disagree with you . not to mention  the state  put in 8.5 million walleyes in  in a  year period I think and this is opinion , your looking for a boogy man . these  guys are simply fishing

Wouldn't the fact the state is changing the regulations to prohibit all fishing in that location from march 15 to march 1st actually mean they agree with me? I'm also not looking for a boogie man, I don't care they're fishing there. I have no issue with harvesting fish and have no issue with harvesting up to the state mandated limit. My issue is, whether legally or illegally, the harvesting of large females of any species. It's not beneficial for a species to be harvesting the largest fish in the population. It causes a gradual shift over time towards a smaller average fish, reduces the viability of spawn, and reduces the total amount of eggs. I'm a firm believe of slot limits for this exact reason. Let the big ones go so they can keep producing strong healthy offspring and keep the smaller slot fish for eating.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.