Author Topic: Flasher vs graph  (Read 6462 times)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Flasher vs graph
« on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Does anyone make a graph unit for ice fishing? Almost everything is a flasher. so I figure there must be a problem with graphs on the ice. What's uyp with that?? Are the too expensive or what??
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
Re: Flasher vs graph
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I use an old Eagle Fish ID 2 and have no problems
It isn't fancy but it works great for me
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Lowrance x67c has graph and flasher mode. Its right up there with vex and marcum...do a little research.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Humminbird, Marcum, and Lowrance all have graph ice units available. Alot of people tend to shy away from them because they can get a little sluggish in sub zero temps. (-20 I believe) Marcums LX-7 and Showdown screens have a heating thingamajig built in though. Otherwise, if you fish in a heated shanty with any of the available graph units you shouldn't have a problem with the screens getting sluggish. Another thing is alot of the hardcore flasher people do not like the lag with the graphs and prefer the "realtime" display of the flashers. I own and use both  graph and flasher units for icefishing and haven't noticed much difference if any in how "fast" the signal is displayed. Its just a matter of what each person prefers to use.

Offline specialized

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Mushroom is right.  Its all preference.  the x-67 seems to work pretty well no matter how cold it gets.  I live in Manitoba Canada and it gets cold........

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:51 AM »
I fish with a Hummin'bird graph (560) that I use in my boat during soft water. I do have the ice transducer for ice fishing, though. It works just fine, and I really don't see any lag time difference. When it is very cold out, I do turn on the internal screen lighting (on high) to keep the screen from getting sluggish. Most graph units made for the ice have an internal screen heater to keep them warmer on very cold days. My Marcum video has a screen heater also for sub zero days.

BIGJim223

Offline Time on the Water Canada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2011, 11:14 AM »
I use an Lowrance HD5 which has both flasher and graph. I never use the flasher anymore once I got use to the side bar. I doesn't matter how cold it gets the response on almost all current flashers is immediate. When it gets to shallower water particularly where there is weeds a flasher may have a slight advantage. Graphs tend to interpret weed and debris differently in various depths. Once you get into 20+ ft. the problem seems to clear.

There is a new Lowrance Elite 4 coming out with a much brighter screen than the x67 which is being discontinued. It also comes with a GPS/Map loaded. The charts in Canada are Navionics and I believe it comes with the whole country installed. The price is about $400.00 including the ice kit which includes an ice ducer, battery and charger. It still only has a 3.5 inch screen but the brighter screen seems to make up the difference in size.
*REMOVED*

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Cant miss w/ Humminbird or Lowarance
Went w/ Bird385 last winter - GPS worked great, easy to use in flasher & graph mode on ice.
Used it this summer & worked great on jon boat. Out this past week and marked
some spots for the hardwater. Check out posts under equipment - allot of info.
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2011, 07:51 PM »
The charts in Canada are Navionics and I believe it comes with the whole country installed.

Navionics doesn't have any mapping North of 60*.  :(
The only electronic map charting that is availble up here is on CMAP cartridges.   ::)
And even then it's very limited.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2011, 07:04 AM »

When is this unit coming out?  Hopefully, before ice fishing season?  I see there is an Elite 5 Ice Machine, but at a much higher cost. I just purchased a Humminbird 345c ice, but the Elite 4 sounds like it might be a better unit.  So, they are discontinuing the x67c?

quote author=Time on the Water Canada link=topic=198939.msg1944170#msg1944170 date=1321204483]
I use an Lowrance HD5 which has both flasher and graph. I never use the flasher anymore once I got use to the side bar. I doesn't matter how cold it gets the response on almost all current flashers is immediate. When it gets to shallower water particularly where there is weeds a flasher may have a slight advantage. Graphs tend to interpret weed and debris differently in various depths. Once you get into 20+ ft. the problem seems to clear.

There is a new Lowrance Elite 4 coming out with a much brighter screen than the x67 which is being discontinued. It also comes with a GPS/Map loaded. The charts in Canada are Navionics and I believe it comes with the whole country installed. The price is about $400.00 including the ice kit which includes an ice ducer, battery and charger. It still only has a 3.5 inch screen but the brighter screen seems to make up the difference in size.
[/quote]

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Humminbird, Marcum, and Lowrance all have graph ice units available. Alot of people tend to shy away from them because they can get a little sluggish in sub zero temps. (-20 I believe) Marcums LX-7 and Showdown screens have a heating thingamajig built in though. Otherwise, if you fish in a heated shanty with any of the available graph units you shouldn't have a problem with the screens getting sluggish. Another thing is alot of the hardcore flasher people do not like the lag with the graphs and prefer the "realtime" display of the flashers. I own and use both  graph and flasher units for icefishing and haven't noticed much difference if any in how "fast" the signal is displayed. Its just a matter of what each person prefers to use.
that isn't true they are at real time ,just as fast as the spinning wheels ,which i,have an fl 18 ,67c and an hd 5 , and my 113c and 28c on my boat are all in real time absolutely no lag

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:46 AM »
all newer graphs (made in the last 10 or so years) will be real time.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2011, 02:07 PM »
I use the Humminbird 323 which does have real time and flasher view (same unit I use on the boat). I set it up in a portable base like the Pirahnamax. I switch back and forth between graph view and the flasher view. Just got done setting up the same ice fishing rig with a new 325 model for my wife. She is excited to try it out!
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline ddubs3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2011, 04:52 PM »
I use the graph on my Lowrance x67c and love it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:50 PM »
do the rest of you think the graph , think the memory is any help

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:31 PM »
 I started the year last year with a Humminbird 345C. It was easy to read and really liked it untill I fished with my buddy who had a FL18 Vex. The target separation is where there is a big difference graph and flasher. The bird was 2.5" and my new FL22HD is 1/4".IMO this is a big deal when the fish are being picky. I always said I wouldn't buy a flasher. I thought they were to hard to read. But know with the different colors you can read it at a glance. I think it personal preference. Go to a sporting goods store that has flashers and graphs on display and talk to someone there thats knows the units and weigh the pros and cons on what is important to you. I also talked to Mike in the fishing dept. at Reeds before I bought my FL 22HD. He is a good source of info as he has ice fished with alot of these units.
 Matt   

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Get an X67C and use it in graph mode, you'll wonder what all the hype about flashers is all about.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:25 PM »

I started with a cheapo eagle graph i rigged for the hardwater before i got my bird.  Right away i really missed the memory just because you could see the bottom change to know a fish was on the bottom because you could compare it to the "older" side.  You can still see it on the bird just hard to notice those small changes.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:58 AM »
If you get used to using a graph with the RTS (real time sonar) bar on the right I think you get the best of both worlds. I have both an FL-18UP and a HB787c set up for ice fishing. The vexilar works great for what we use it for (lakers, walleyes and some perch) but the girlfriend decided she liked it two years ago. So I got the ice pack and xducer for the HB787, it's nice to have your maps and sonar in one unit too. I can walk with just a bucket and auger and have everything I need  ;).

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:48 AM »

It can be yeah. For instance if you look away from your unit for a little bit while doing something, it can still tell you that there was a fish down there in the area.

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Try using a HDS 5 on the ice , I have one and a FL 22 and the HDS works great, real time , lots of power to see it all , split screens , GPS to mark the location , record data , and if you have the adaptors you can have the weather and listen to xm radio,,,, try that with a flasher.. I like mine and if you have one on the boat , get her rigged for the ice and have some fun and set it up on manual..... and I almost forgot   the lake maps with structure to locate fish......

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:36 PM »
I started with an Eagle 128 portable graph unit and it worked fine, it took some adjusting to see my lure sometimes but not a bad starter unit for the price. I swiched to a Vex fl8 when the wife got it for me for Xmas and the Eagle sat around 'till I finally sold it. I have been considering a Lowrance unit with gps and graph options. I would say it's a personal preferance thing, both formats work it's just a matter of what you like. I never had any lag with the graph either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.