The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Please be safe out there - 2 bodies recovered from Luzerne County lake  (Read 1229 times)

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sad story out of northeastern PA this week. Police pulled the bodies of two brothers (67 and 58) from a lake in Luzerne County on Wednesday. Based on other reports I heard, they may have fallen through a week (or more) before they were reported missing. Their bodies were probably in the lake for over a week as well. No official word yet on the cause of death, but since the report indicates the authorities found fishing rods near their bodies, I suspect they may have ventured onto the ice, fell through and drowned.

Horribly tragic.

The ice is NOT GOOD this year in PA. PLEASE BE EXTRA CAUTIOUS. If you are concerned the ice may be too thin, STAY OFF OF IT. Nobody's life is worth risking over a fish.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/two-brothers-found-dead-after-search-in-luzerne-county/ar-AA16ha88?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=b3939141fe47439885b5bded5522e5bb

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
It's a pity. These guys were the authors of their own demise. Forgetting that the ice is sketchy and the temps when they went out were close to 50-60 degrees. They were trespassing and fishing illegally on a reservoir, no "ice fishing permitted". They paid a very high price for their disregard of rules, regulations and common sense. I have sympathy for their families and friends. I've been expecting to hear this story play out here any day and there it is. Ultimately, they asked for it and it came down on them hard.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
It's a pity. These guys were the authors of their own demise. Forgetting that the ice is sketchy and the temps when they went out were close to 50-60 degrees. They were trespassing and fishing illegally on a reservoir, no "ice fishing permitted". They paid a very high price for their disregard of rules, regulations and common sense. I have sympathy for their families and friends. I've been expecting to hear this story play out here any day and there it is. Ultimately, they asked for it and it came down on them hard.

It's  a great idea to wear ice picks when on thin ice.

And let a friend know about your poaching plans. In case you fall in or need bail money.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
IceWiz, it's against my nature to make these statements, but that was pathetic.  Good to know you always make the right decisions based on the halo over your head.  Enough said.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My momma always told me if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all................... ...’nuff said! 🤨
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
IceWiz, it's against my nature to make these statements, but that was pathetic.  Good to know you always make the right decisions based on the halo over your head.  Enough said.

The men were trespassing and are serial poachers.  I hope the water company fines them for trespassing.   These guys are an embarrassment  to ice fishing imo.

I do feel bad for their families. They are the ones grieving over their lost loved ones.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
An embarrassment to the ice-fishing community?  You have got to be kidding me.  You're the same guy that wants people to send you money for lake reports, aren't you?   You sound like someone else I knew from a previous site.  I take it you knew these poor fellows personally.  Anything they did for their fellow man and the community is irrelevant because they snuck onto a pond to do some fishing and that justifies losing their lives in your book of revelation. 
I am asking the moderators to delete this string as it is disrespectful to these brothers and their families.   I wish ScrantonJoe and IceWiz nothing but the best.
End of story.

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
So scranton joe........does the water co. Come to their funeral and fine the grieving family members?

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looks like this topic is getting pretty heated. Not what I intended with the post.

My intention was to remind people to be extra cautious this year because of the poor conditions.

Regardless of whether or not these two men were trespassing or whether they were using reasonable judgement on the ice doesn’t change the tragic outcome.

Two men died. They were brothers and they probably spent the last few moments of their lives in terror as they were trying to save the other.

No matter how their decisions contributed to the outcome, I have genuine sympathy for them.

I’m sure they have family, friends and loved ones who are grieving their deaths. I’d hate for those people to be further harmed by this discussion.

Not sure if I can delete the thread entirely but I’ll try to lock it so it doesn’t create any more controversy.

Moderator(s): you can delete if you deem appropriate.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.