The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: St A Bay Wednesday 2/21: anyone?  (Read 15550 times)

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: St A Bay Wednesday 2/21: anyone?
« Reply #150 on: Mar 21, 2018, 02:48 PM »
A few years ago we were pulling them off by the hundreds of pounds during the last week of March into the first week of April, from Hathaway point up to near the boat launch, close to shore. Not sure if they are changing their habits, or if we put a big dent in their population those years. Would be interesting to know if whites tend to spawn on the same areas they were born, like some fish. If so, the damage that was inflected a few years ago might explain this.

Last year was like that. There was probably over 1,000 pounds sold to bayside in a 3 day span between everyone.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Mar 21, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Like I said years back, populations boomed and now theyre leveling out. It will most likely be hit or miss from this point on. No more guaranteed buckets full in March and April.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #152 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Last year was like that. There was probably over 1,000 pounds sold to bayside in a 3 day span between everyone.

That's actually pretty low numbers compared to a few years ago. Bayside told me a few years back they had estimated 20,000 pounds came through that season. Me and 4 friends caught 26 5 gallon buckets full in one day that year, which came in at close to 850 pounds. Wouldn't mind a couple more buckets this year to pull me through the season, but seems like a big ask this year.

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:09 PM »
According to a 1998 Field & Stream article, biologists estimated that ice fisherman caught 86,000 white perch the previous winter averaging 9” from the area off scotch bonnet, just north of button bay.  Nothing like that there anymore. 

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:19 PM »
I may start off at Hathaway in the morning. Feel free to say hi if you see me. Blue and grey striker suit, Ion and white rod holder on my sled.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #155 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:28 PM »
According to a 1998 Field & Stream article, biologists estimated that ice fisherman caught 86,000 white perch the previous winter averaging 9” from the area off scotch bonnet, just north of button bay.  Nothing like that there anymore.
[/quote
hardly ever safe ice in that area anymore mostly none at all . trolling that area at times cant keep the whites off the lures. not sure about the population increasing or decreasing but there are still plenty all the way down past the champlain bridge

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Mar 25, 2018, 12:07 AM »
Last spring when I was bullhead fishing in Otter Creek I was catching more whites than bullhead. Not good.

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Apr 07, 2018, 06:20 AM »
Has any1 been by st.albans? Is there enough open water for kayak or boat?

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Apr 07, 2018, 08:01 AM »
open water by black bridge. still lots of ice ...it would be limited as to where you could go. You could park at the georgia mill river access and put your kayak in near the mouth of the river. Saw a fish and game truck parked there yesterday.

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Thanks man...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.