Author Topic: plugs  (Read 2899 times)

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
plugs
« on: Dec 20, 2008, 03:44 PM »
how many miles can you sled guys get on your plugs?? mine keeep going on me 2nd time in 120 miles..

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: plugs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Sounds like you may have something more then a brokenline...... Oil injected or do you mix? Is the plug folwing? More info I may be of some help.

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:33 PM »
it is injected and they are a nice brown color i cant figure it out ???

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:44 PM »
A little more background if you would. Have you checked the spark? pull the plug, put the wire on it and ground. Turn her over. Do you have spark? What color is it? Be careful when doing this it can and will knock you on your butt if you do it with a bare hand.

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:49 PM »
i think it is and electrical problem because the engine quits wehn i have teh hand warmers on high, lights on high and when i hit the brake light the engine quits let off the brake it is fine or if i shut the warmers off its fine.. so i dont know..

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:59 PM »
I'm thinking coil. Check your spark. If its a yellowish color I'd go with a coil. Turning on accessories takes power away from the coil. If the coil is weak the engine will die.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:04 PM »
yea thats what i was thinking. i had the motor out this fall to replace a bushing on tie rods... its a 98 arcticcat jag

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Put a coil in her and let me know. You should notice a difference in power to.... Is she a little dogish at high R's?

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:14 PM »
i cant really tell... it can make it round 60... i cant really tell the difference..

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Try the coil. Take it with you they may have the equipment to check it. You sure don't want it breaking down on you when you're out there.

Let me know how you make out.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:30 PM »
ill check it out sometime this week and let ya know. yea it would suck to get it stuck in a big ol drift...

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:12 AM »
Sounds to me like your electrical system is simply overloaded. I had an old '91 Mach 1 that had no battery (not equipped with electric start) and when i had a heated visor plugged in, high beams on, hot grips and thumb warmer on, when i hit the brake, my headlight went out. With no battery in the sled, there's no reserve power for that quick demand when the brake light is on. The only way to fix this (as long as your stator is putting out full power) is to turn off some accesories, unless you can find a high-output stator for your sled. My old sled used to eat plugs, if i didn't have 6 spares in my pocket, i wouldn't make it home from an evening ride. Check the spark plug gap before you put them in, almost all NGK plugs were gapped too wide, tightening the gap to the small side of the manufacturers tolerance (0.018" in my case) really helped me. Last thing, if you happen to be running the standard NGK B9ES or BR9ES plug, try the BR9EYA, its the same plug, but with a small groove cut in the electrode that really helps preventing fouling. They're less than $1 more per plug usually, and in my case it tripled the mileage i got from each plug. Hope this helps.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.