Author Topic: polaris or yamaha  (Read 8682 times)

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: polaris or yamaha
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Yamaha! I have an '07 Grizzly 700. I have a 1/4 mile drive way and push snow with a 60" angle plow. I use it in 4 wheel drive with the diff lock off. Steers like it is in 2 wheel drive. I also till up 3 acres of food plot with it every year has plenty of power for the chores, goes through a ton of snow with the ITP Mud Lite XTR's. With the EFI it starts right up on the cold days, and if you do get it stuck, it's not un -manageble to push around like the much heavier Polaris. I don't believe the added weight is for traction. My buddy has an 800 Sportsman, he likes the power, and it came with hand/thumb warmers which are handy. He is looking a a Grizzly for his next ride. The engine braking is great on the Yamaha for going down hill or towing heavy loads. You do not want to have to rely solely on your brakes for down hill riding or towing. Look at the braking systems of semi's and diesel pickups, they use engine braking. When going down a steep hill on a snowmobile you need to keep on the throttle to keep the clutches engaged to stay in control of the machine. The Yamaha does this for you. 

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:10 AM »

You decide...this thing seems to get me (and a buddy) from A to B with no probs....
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline muduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2008, 05:28 AM »
On a side note. I would highly recomend against buying a machine that was udsed only for icefishing unless you know the previous owner and know they let it warm up before each use. I cant believe how many guys will hop on and go without letting it warm up.Riding with the choke on is even worse. You can expect to be replacing cams if they did that.
   Thats why u buy an efi

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:34 AM »
I kind of assumed that goes with saying...I know there are people that yell about their carbed models always starting and such...that's awesome.  I just think the EFI rocks...18 below yesterday am...kicked off first key turn.  Yeah...let them warm up...and NEVER operate them at low speeds in High gear.  Those were the 2 biggies I've been told consistenetly.  I ALWAYS kick it over at least 2 minutes before I'm going to operate it and I go real easy on it until the primary gets warmed up a bit.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:30 PM »
   Thats why u buy an efi

EFI machines still need to warm up or your killing your engine.

Offline buffettphan606

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:35 PM »
KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:42 PM »
KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That wasn't in the topic heading  ;D

Offline hunterhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2008, 06:33 AM »
 I just bought a 660 griz and I loooovvvveeee it.  My last atv was a 250 bear tracker by yamaha and I road that thing into the ground it only had 2wd but went everywhere I needed to go with no problems....  When I went to look at new atvs I didn't ask salesmen what is the best I asked the men in the back who repair them and they hands down said yamaha griz if you want a atv for working and playing but hands down it will pull haul climb bettwer than the others and they don't see them as much for repair.  Freind has a polaris 500 and has alot of trubble with suspention bushings I not sure if its because he rides all the time (he is in a club) and puts tons of miles on it?  My griz gets worked hard hauling firewood plowing snow and I use it as a tracktor in my large garden and deer food plots has more than enough power to pull a drag... But only you can make the choice, I guess it depends on how you use it ;D ;D :thumbsup:

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Last year I bought a new 2007 Grizzly 450 auto in camo with a 3000lb Superwinch and a 60 inch Cycle Country blade..........live in snow country and have made 6 ft snowpiles along the driveway...........

Got it decked out with the Cabelas back rack drop basket that holds my three ice fishing buckets and on the front rack I have a pair of Kolpin ratchet gun grips that easily holds my auger and then bringing up the rear I'm towing my Frabill Trekker II shanty................ .have rig will travel for fish....lol.

I'm sure there are places where more power might come in handy but I"ll be darned if I've found it yet..........true differential lock with true engine breaking......priceles s.....

Been driving Yamaha since 1970 and don't plan on switching anytime soon...........just my 02..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.