Author Topic: Snowmobile question - Probably a dumb one  (Read 4715 times)

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
Snowmobile question - Probably a dumb one
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:05 PM »
I recently picked up a 1997 Polaris Indy 500 to round our my ice fishing bag of tricks. Yeah, no more slush days with the wheeler.  ;D ;D ;D Anyway the sled goes good. The question I have is when riding home yesterday it was getting a little darker and I noticed a green light on the left which I think is coolant? Anyway it was lit green. is that normal. The other light is a red brake light that comes on when I hit the brakes.

Is this normal for a Polaris? brakes work fine and it didn't seem like it was overheating. Coolant level was normal and the fluid was a nice prestone color.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowmobile question - Probably a dumb one
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:09 PM »
may be  your high beam 

Offline Icebound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I think the green means go............ ;D

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:24 PM »
high beams, or handwarmer/thumbwarmer? usually if a liquid cooled sled is overheating, it bogs out and acts stupid
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I think the green means go..

I was hoping green meant good to go... First time I hit the gas hard it kinda startled me. I didn't expect a 500 to take off like that.  :o

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:30 PM »
I recently picked up a 1997 Polaris Indy 500 to round our my ice fishing bag of tricks. Yeah, no more slush days with the wheeler.  ;D ;D ;D Anyway the sled goes good. The question I have is when riding home yesterday it was getting a little darker and I noticed a green light on the left which I think is coolant? Anyway it was lit green. is that normal. The other light is a red brake light that comes on when I hit the brakes.

Is this normal for a Polaris? brakes work fine and it didn't seem like it was overheating. Coolant level was normal and the fluid was a nice prestone color.

Send ALASKANSS a PM, he's the sled & wheeler man...........

My Honda wheeler low oil light comes on when the oil is up and it turned out to be a temperamental sensor.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:03 PM »
I have 200o Indy XC 500 and that is the high beam on mine.

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:13 PM »
nice  i   have  a  indy  500    1986    sweet   ice  fishin  sled   starts  right  up

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:06 PM »
I owned a 96 XCR and if the light came on it meant to add coolant. Check the tank under the cowling. The tank should have level lines on the side.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:16 AM »
Piece of duct tape will cover that light!  :whistle:  :laugh: :roflmao:
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:08 AM »
The green light I believe is the ready light, when you turn the key to start position it means you can now start it. Not sure if its supposed to stay on. The brakes are either low on fluid or have air in them. My polaris did that til I put new brake pads on and topped off the brake fluid res. :tipup:

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Thanks. I did some reading last nite. I actually found a pdf of the maintenance manual. It said there are lites for oil/brake, temp and hi beam. The brake lite only comes on when I hit the brakes. The fluid is full and the brakes work with not squealing noises coming from them. Funny thing about the maint manual is it doesn't say when the lites are supposed to come on. ???

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:58 AM »
jim word to the wise   check the oil in your chain case    i picked up a used sled last year and blew the chain and gears along with the shaft and other parts if you can find the parts after market its close too 2 grand to fix luckly i found a sled for parts this fall havent had time to put the sled back togather yet found out this was a big problum with this make sled
in god we trust

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Thanks, I did check all the fluids. They all looked good. Sled has 3400 miles. I want to hit it with a grease gun and some good grease. Was hoping someone here had a polaris indy and could tell me the normal state of the lights on the dash. Gotta go and get some more oil, I can ask at the dealer.

Offline hoghunta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:56 AM »
I have a 98 xc 600 and the green light is the acc. light. Which on mine is the handwarmers! Good Luck.

huntin the next hog!

Offline taz-montana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Thanks. I did some reading last nite. I actually found a pdf of the maintenance manual. It said there are lites for oil/brake, temp and hi beam. The brake lite only comes on when I hit the brakes. The fluid is full and the brakes work with not squealing noises coming from them. Funny thing about the maint manual is it doesn't say when the lites are supposed to come on. ???
the reason that the red light comes on when you squeeze the brakes is that when you put on the parking brake the red light reminds you that the brake is set

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:29 AM »
so that is normal?

Offline taz-montana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:31 PM »
so that is normal?
yes... we ran polaris's for years 87-98

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:32 PM »
The red light that comes on when the brakes are on is normal, like Taz said, so you don't drive off with the brake on. I used the dash light so I could tell when my brake light was lit. Often I would flash my taillights in the dark while trail riding, so I could warn others behind me of something, without slamming on the brakes. The green light is most likely a high-beam indicator, check the pod on your left hand grip and find your headlight switch, see if changing the position gets rid of the light. All the temp lights I've seen on sleds are red and have a thermometer or the letters TEMP on it. Good Luck!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Thanks gang. I talked with the local dealer when I was picking up some oil and they said it was the hi-beams...

Hopefully I will get a lot of use icefishing with this polaris. So far it has been fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.