The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Be Careful This Weekend  (Read 1760 times)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Be Careful This Weekend
« on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:43 AM »
I was curious what the warm weather and rain had done to my local earlier ice spots.  What I found last night was not promising.  Pond I checked had anywhere from 10-12 inches of ice, 50/50 black and snow ice, prior to the warm weather.  Last night I had to wade through 10 feet of water to then get up onto 1-1.5 inches of ice.  It did firm up the further I ventured out but I didn't like what I found and wasn't going out past about 20 feet.  Hopefully the next few days firm things up but I'm guessing a lot of places are going to be tough to get on unless you feel like planking in January.  ???
westernmas on the finder

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Be Careful This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:04 AM »
Yes be safe guys, those warm days destroyed the ice for sure. I am taking a weekend off, going to hit it hard next week with an all nighter!!!This weekend will consist of sorting gear and tightening up tip ups and re lining jig sticks. :tipup:
Drill um and fill um........

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:09 AM »
Agreed. The current ice situation is worse than your typical early ice/thin ice. We're dealing with weak spots and holes and big changes in thickness. The forecast is promising so to anybody thats trying to be abundantly safe just skip this weekend and enjoy the next. That being said there is "safe" ice in the state so if you really need your fix drive north and bring your spud bar but I wouldn't bother personally.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:14 AM »
For what its worth the most danger you'll face statistically is driving to your "spot".  I can appreciate anyones suggestion to be cautious but with spud bar in hand, and some logic everyone will be fine.

Pat we should come up with a solid game plan for Sat, setup and wait for the storm to roll in!

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Agreed. The current ice situation is worse than your typical early ice/thin ice. We're dealing with weak spots and holes and big changes in thickness. The forecast is promising so to anybody thats trying to be abundantly safe just skip this weekend and enjoy the next. That being said there is "safe" ice in the state so if you really need your fix drive north and bring your spud bar but I wouldn't bother personally.

X2.....not a good time to "tempt fate".

Next week's cold should work its magic. :tipup:

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2020, 12:07 PM »
I got 7in waiting for me within 30min of Worcester. not the best fishing but its ice none the less

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Agreed. I went by a lake today and it was wide open. It looked safe last week (I didn't check).
The cold tonight and tomorrow won't do a whole lot.

Another thing to be aware of is the number of reckless folks wanting to tell you how safe it is. Don't take internet experts' word for it. It's your life. Even if you don't care, even if you got nobody that needs you back home, the first responders have more important things to do besides haul your lifeless carcasses out because you couldn't skip one weekend of fishing.  ::)

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:59 PM »
good advice

also drive north - better ice up north

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:32 PM »
I got 7in waiting for me within 30min of Worcester. not the best fishing but its ice none the less

Tomorrow will be a good day on the ice!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:35 PM »
think I'm going to do some open water cape trout fishing Saturday. ice fishing is getting a little stale. might be fly fishing in the snow

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2020, 05:15 PM »
think I'm going to do some open water cape trout fishing Saturday. ice fishing is getting a little stale. might be fly fishing in the snow

Fly fishing in the snow is good!

Offline W8t B8t

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:05 AM »
I live in hubbardston
I don’t fish comet
But some of the ponds
Around still have decent ice
But it’s not to safe to many holes and one part of a pond looks good the other half not so good
I’m taking a week off
Don’t feel like swimming in January

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:40 PM »
Fly fishing in the snow is good!
too icy to do any fly fishing. did manage a 20in brown on bait

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.