Author Topic: Vexilar Fishphone  (Read 10839 times)

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
Vexilar Fishphone
« on: Jul 30, 2013, 03:09 PM »
What do you guys think?   For the price I don't think you can beat it.  Match it up with my iPad and I have a large screen light camera at a good price!!!

I think this is the future for manufactures. 

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Vexilar-FishPhone-Camera-System?source=googleps&gclid=COnsxbyB2LgCFchDMgodXTEA1w

They also have the Sonarphone, if they could make this into more of a flasher they may have something for icefishing.

http://vexilar.com/products/index.php?prodNum=SP300

I would bet Marcum will be coming up with something similar.

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar Fishphone
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2013, 04:05 PM »
I just wish they had an ice version.  I'd be all over that thing

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2013, 05:40 PM »

hello are you guys going to bite today ,[no] thanks for the tip  ;)

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2013, 07:32 PM »
I like it. I have a question though. Since you don't need cel coverage does the phone have to be activated?
GO PACK GO

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2013, 07:46 PM »

hello are you guys going to bite today ,[no] thanks for the tip  ;)

:roflmao:
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2013, 10:15 PM »
It's a wireless transducer that you download a app to your phone so you could cast it out a fish with or with out a boat .i don't no why you couldn't use it for icefishing . Looks neat but I'm going to use my new vexilar FLX 28 this year  ;D ;) ;) ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Sounds like alot of smart phones  will be going swimming! ::)
Fish on!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2013, 11:11 AM »
The phone does not even have to be close to the hole, it all works via wireless.   You do not need to have the phone activated on a cell plan.  You would need to download the app from iTunes or the apps store for your type of phone.

It is designed for icefishing or open water and will come with a pack that holds the battery and cable for the camera.  The camera's video is sent to your phone or tablet via wifi signals. 

http://vexilar.com/products/index.php?prodCat=marine&prodSubCat=fishphone

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Thanks guys. Sounds pretty cool
GO PACK GO

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Can you get this yet? Cant seem to find a release date.

Offline ND222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Sounds like alot of smart phones  will be going swimming! ::)
My thoughts exactly :unsure:

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Well I couldn't find anyone to go fishing with me today, so i took a ride over to St Paul myself.

Vexilar had a unit set up there, but it wasn't connected to a display.  I asked if it was a working unit and he said yes it was, however his phone was IOS and it was only working on Android currently.  So I asked if could DL the app from the Play Store and try it.  Unfortunately the app wasn't available yet but he offered to email it to me. So we did that.

Keep in mind that what I'm about to say was based upon that emailed app and it might not be the final working version. I'm not sure.

I was able to connect to the camera with my phone very easily and without issue (just like connecting to a hotspot) and got a nice clear picture.  However there WAS INDEED a small amount of lag.  Nowhere near anything like a couple of seconds though, more like a couple of milliseconds.  But it was enough to notice.  I would compare it to webcam on your laptop....just slightly behind.  Will it make a difference when fishing?  Who knows.

The next thing I tried was taking a still shot and capturing a short segment of video.  Its pretty easy as there is a camera/camcorder button.  I did that and I noticed right away that there is no feedback to when the video starts/stops/saves. You just tap the button and hope you hit it I guess. 

The next thing I tried was walking a distance away to see how stable it was.  I got about 20ft away and the feed froze and got very choppy.  Not sure what caused that, but it happened each time I got about 20ft away.

When I got home I wanted to try and mess with the still shot and video I captured.  I opened the APP, but it won't let you go any further unless you connect to a camera (I noticed a library button on the video feed and wanted to try that).  I couldn't go any further, but at that point I also couldn't back out either. Neither the back button on the software nor the back button on my phone worked. I had to hit the Home button and do a force close.

So instead I went into my Files folder and found a FishPhone folder with 4 items (1 picture and 3 videos). Unfortunately I cannot get the videos to play on my phone or my PC.  I was however able to get the picture.  I'm not impressed at all by the resolution of the picture, hopefully the video will be better.

Personally, I think the version of the App I was provided needs some work, but when it was up and working, the image was clear and it worked pretty darn good. And it was impressive to see the feed on my phone and be able to control the LED.  The slight amount of lag could possibly be an issue when used for fishing though and I would suggest trying it out with your phone/tablet on a demo before pulling the trigger.

Again, this is just from what I seen of the demo unit and the demo App.  For all I know the final version could be different.

Here is the image I captured. 

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:53 PM »
They state on their website it isnt ice compatible, it looks more like a towable bobber to me, the transducer that is. Not sure about that fishphone version, that looks like it might cut it.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:00 PM »
There are 2 products and you guys are confusing them

Vexilar Sonarphone which is a transducer that sends a signal to your phone

Vexilar FishPhone which sends an underwater camera image to your phone.

2 separate products

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:22 PM »
They also have this SonarPhone which would probably make a lot better use for ice fishing that the one that is suppose to be stuck to a flat object from the first post.

http://vexilar.com/info/sonarphone-mobile-depth-sounder-app/

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2014, 11:34 AM »
It's a wireless transducer that you download a app to your phone so you could cast it out a fish with or with out a boat .i don't no why you couldn't use it for icefishing . Looks neat but I'm going to use my new vexilar FLX 28 this year  ;D ;) ;) ;D

I think because the transducer floats The ice hole would interfere with the return of the sonar. Jmho.

Offline HatedByMany

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You ain't livin' if you ain't fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:58 PM »
I think because the transducer floats The ice hole would interfere with the return of the sonar. Jmho.
They now sell a sonar phone with a t-box just like the fish phone. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to rig it to something that can be put down a hole and used that way.
When you see me holding a rod and singing off key, You bet your ass I'm fishing and as happy as can be.

Offline Funker530

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2017, 12:37 PM »
For anyone who has a windows phone, or any other device (including windows tablets or laptops) I figured out a way to use the Vexilar Fishphone without the official iOS or Android app. This is also helpful for iOS or Android users currently using the Fishphone who want to be able to tweak their image settings on the live stream to optimize brightness, contrast, and colour.
The only app you'll need is VLC which works on all devices old and new.

1. Install VLC Media Player
2. Connect to your Fishphone wi-fi
3. Open VLC
4. Open the media menu
5. "Open Network Stream"
6. Type rtsp://192.168.11.123:554/1/mjpeg

The live feed will now display and you have full control over the image options, which the official app doesn't offer.
The only problem is that you can't control the LED lights with this method...yet.

I haven't found instructions for this anywhere else online, and hope this helps some of you! This also makes the Fishphone a viable option for windows only users if they don't care about the LED lights.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I've been using one for last 3 seasons handy easy to use.
Tend to use it more in the summer off the boat for scouting.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.