The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Missouri River Crazy?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline GFPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
Missouri River Crazy?
« on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:53 PM »
It’s been <20 in the day and <-5 in the night for weeks. I know there’s walleye in the river right in Great Falls. How stupid is it to walk out on some river ice?  I’d prefer not to die, but dying to get some ice fishing in and all the lakes are snowed in.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Missouri River Crazy?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:18 PM »
With a heavy dose of common sense and serious extra precaution you'd probably be alright.  I've icefished the Yellowstone river.  First I was with a good partner, wore a rockclimbing harness and rope with my buddy belaying me while securely anchored from shore, then tested the ice with a heavy spud bar with each step between holes.  Ice was a consistent 8-10  inches in the small areas we tried.  But you certainly can't be too careful.  Stakes are high for sure.  We didn't mark anything where there was current.  But caught a few cats in a slackwater back channel.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:24 PM »
I wouldn't advise it. I've had the same thought many a time, but knowing the speed of the current, even at it's slow point at Broadwater Bay, I wouldn't touch it. I'm assuming that's where you were looking? Even with ice picks or floats, I'd say too risky. If you know of a backwater channel somewhere with limited to no current (like a bay that touches the river and only flows in the spring at highwater), that'd be doable.
If you need to get out somewhere near town, head to Wadsworth or Pelican Point. Be careful at Wadsworth on the north side of the lake, I was walking around out there today, and it looks like some gas pockets popped through, the ice was all slushy and sketchy on top. If you're willing to drive, you could brave the wind and head to Frances, or hope the wind isn't blowing at Holter.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:52 PM »
Spud bar.... every single step.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:13 PM »
I've done it on the Marias on good winters plenty of times but the Mo is a different animal.  I think you got some good advise ahead of me. Back waters, spud bar and I personally like the sounds of Wadsworth best. 

Offline GFPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:36 PM »
Thanks for the healthy dose of reality. Also my pregnant wife freaked when I mentioned it to her. Lol. I just keep thinking that pissing off the country club by setting tip ups off their golf course would be fun.
Headed to Tiber tomorrow to probably get turned away by snow drifts. I’ll let you all know what the roads look like.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2018, 12:19 AM »
Good luck pikeman

Offline RigginJap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Did you make it to Tiber?

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:58 PM »
 I'm not saying if it's good or bad to go out there on the river but we have someone that isn't real sound out there running all over the place on the ice.
http://www.krtv.com/story/37643880/man-on-the-ice-speaks-to-gffr-leaves-central-avenue-bridge-location

Ken......

Offline RigginJap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:04 PM »
Ken, thanks for posting that. Haven't seen the news today. Wonder if I could get him to bring his shovel over here on the north side of town.
Fred

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Seems like if the GFFD is going to suit up and watch you in case you fall in, the mouth of the Sun river would be a good spot to stack up some walleyes.  :)
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:33 AM »
If you are on the ice on a moving section of river and the ice breaks, even a tight belay rope may not keep the current from sweeping you under the ice.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Theres been a guy standing out there for three days ask him how the ice is
Dont ask

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:18 AM »
ice fishing rivers is just plain foolish!
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.