Author Topic: Milwaukee mud mixer on a nils 8" auger  (Read 4436 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Milwaukee mud mixer on a nils 8" auger
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Bought a milwaukee 18v mud mixer to put on my nils 8".   Two fully charged 5amp milwaukee brand red lithium batteries.

First 10 holes were through about 5"-8" of ice, and the unit worked with no issues.

about mid day i headed over to some thicker ice, of about 12"

we set up on some perch grounds, so i drilled a few holes to hop between.

On the fourth hole, the device stopped functioning.   Upon inspection, it was quite warm, and had a faint electric smell coming from it.

I gave it a chance to cool down, switched to a new, warm battery, and the same thing happened on the next set of holes at the fourth hole.

Mud mixer is going back :-\

final thoughts: if you drill only one or two holes at a time, the handle set up is comfortable, and the unit works well and fast.

However, the standard 2803 drill is around $100 cheaper, and doesn't shut down after consecutive holes on thick ice.

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Milwaukee mud mixer on a nils 8" auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:32 AM »
I love my MM, running it with an 8" blue Mora. Have had 0 issues so far. I just let the tool do its job. Only pressure on the auger is the weight of the MM. 30 + holes in 18"+ of ice

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I'm using the same setup, bigred.  I've had zero problems with mine, except for the auger coming out of the chuck more than I'd like. 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Are you guys doing this on consecutive holes?    I drilled probably 30 holes through the thinner ice without nary an issue.   Why I don't understand is why the smaller, lighter, cheaper 2803 drill could handle the thicker ice that the heavier MM couldn't. 

I guess the KDrill guys already found this out

K-Drill Staff
    October 24, 2018   

Milwaukee Mud Mixer was tried by several members of our field test staff with similar results by all. Final Results: The heavier Milwaukee Mud Mixer did not have a high enough current load or temp setting to work with the 8 inch K-Drill and would continuously shut down after 2-3 holes. The standard 2703-20 drill far out-performed the Mud Mixer in all of our testing. Until Milwaukee makes some changes to the control circuit in the the Mud Mixer I would be certain it could be returned for a standard 2703-20 or 2803-20 hand drill.

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:08 AM »
I did 10 tip up and 3 jigging holes all in a row on 18"+ not a hiccup. It's my belief that the switch off for the mud mixers is to keep your shoulders attached to your body.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:10 AM »
I'm a hole driller, looking for fish all the time.  I will drill 10-15 consecutive holes, and then look around.  Went through 9amp batteries with my mud mixer in a day, and it's never shut down on me.  Maybe I got a good one?

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:12 AM »
There is an auger speed dial on the mixer, but I just keep mine on the fastest level. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:15 AM »
I used bigred's mud mixer yesterday.  It has a great layout.  I was going to buy one but now this...shame because the thing rips!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:11 PM »
All I can say is I've seen people that can break the end off an anvil with a rubber hammer? ::)
Everyone's mileage will vary.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:36 PM »
All I can say is I've seen people that can break the end off an anvil with a rubber hammer? ::)
Everyone's mileage will vary.

some people have called me dr destructo, so that may fit.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:48 PM »
If you can smell your motor you have just halved the useful life of the tool.  That smell is insulation being over temperatured and degrading.

If the tool is sized for the job and you are using it correctly you'll never smell insulation off-gassing.

It won't be long before you let the "magic smoke" out and then you'll have an expensive door stop...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:37 PM »
There is an auger speed dial on the mixer, but I just keep mine on the fastest level.

My unfamiliarity with the auger speed dial may lead you down the incorrect path, my apologies if this is the case, but I've been instructed to keep drill settings at the lowest speed for the most available torque.  This may be why yours is cutting out on you.  May be worth trying on the lowest speed setting before rendering the tool useless. 

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:37 PM »
My unfamiliarity with the auger speed dial may lead you down the incorrect path, my apologies if this is the case, but I've been instructed to keep drill settings at the lowest speed for the most available torque.  This may be why yours is cutting out on you.  May be worth trying on the lowest speed setting before rendering the tool useless.
The confusion may be because "most" cordless drills require that the "speed selector/gear selector" be in the lowest speed setting.
The mud mixer doesn't have a speed selector/gear selector" as such (not high or low speed).
The max speed of the mud mixer is 550 RPM which is in the ball park of what most augers are recommend to operate at.
That being said as they say in the movies "full speed ahead captain", at least with the MudMixer.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:40 PM »
The confusion may be because "most" cordless drills require that the "speed selector/gear selector" be in the lowest speed setting.
The mud mixer doesn't have a speed selector/gear selector" as such (not high or low speed).
The max speed of the mud mixer is 550 RPM which is in the ball park of what most augers are recommend to operate at.
That being said as they say in the movies "full speed ahead captain", at least with the MudMixer.

Yup.  Max speed and let the auger do the work.  Don’t try to push the auger down.  I actually lift on my auger a bit and it has never shut the MM down.  Thing cuts ice like a raped ape. 

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Well, my mud mixer has a speed control on it.  I must have a "good one".

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:14 PM »

A hand auger..... Yeah if you snort a bunch of coke before drilling holes, that's turning it a full rotation 9 times in one second. I'd venture to guess most hand augers (what most people use on drills) are recommended to operate at 60-120 rpm. Most gas augers turn at 200rpm range, not saying the bits wont work fine at 1000rpm, just pointing that out.

Rare footage of the soon to be released 2021 Milwaukee Fuel Ice Auger
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.