Author Topic: how big ?  (Read 7216 times)

lip ripper

how big ?
« on: Jan 11, 2004, 11:18 PM »
how big do perch have to be before you keep them. me my self a limit of 8 inchers is a good meal of fryed perch for the family and people always say they are to small. dont get me wrong we catch lot up here 11 to17 inches but they just dont taste as good as the smaller ones
good luck LIP RIPPER

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
Re:how big ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 12:04 AM »
Lip ripper where in alberta can you find 13+"ers? please help? Come on just share little would ya!!! LOL!! How far north does a guy have to travel?
Any help would be appreciated.........

Tight lines!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:16 AM »
i have persoanlly kept em at 7 inches just as tasty or more so then the jumbo's and to be honest i get the same amount of meat as i do from a 9 inch so...ANyhow thats just me..Plus its nice to leave the big females to overpopulate the lakes anyhow! TIght lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

lip ripper

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:24 AM »
hey nuke you dont have to go to far it just to find them where you are fishin icaught my limit of 12 and13 inchers 9 times at lac ste anne last year i dont always catch them thow devils lake if you wont a wallhanger is a good bet caught 1  this year out there 14 inches. the i found in both of them lakes is keep movin if you arnt catching any. so just keep lookin you will get some
LIP RIPPER

acsacmboy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:52 PM »
i keep them at 9

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:10 PM »
There's plenty of 11" and 12"ers around but I want a monster!!! Here'e to hoping!!
Tight lines!

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:25 PM »
I keep 9"er's.  They are nice every once and a while I will keep a few under that.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:58 AM »
I also find them to be sweet at 9 and not so sweet when they hit like 12-14? Anyone else have that?
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline nehusker13

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2004, 10:00 AM »
there's a lot of nice ones in SD. Reetz Lake near Waubay is a trophy lake. but there are a lot of lakes and sloughs in eastern SD that have large perch. we usually go around the brookings area.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2004, 10:39 PM »
ussually 9 and up  but when i fish Lake Champlain then i keep them 7 and up
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Cha-Chi

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2004, 06:00 PM »
This goes with perch and all fish for that matter. I keep fish at their average size (about 8 inches for perch) or smaller. If you keep the really big ones, like the 12, 13 or 14 inchers, that tells the generel poplulation that it is bad to grow big and that leaves you with a stunted population. I've seen it with white and yellow perch around here in PA (lake ontelaunee). People would take the large fish home (8-10 inchers) and now you catch most fish 4-7 inches on avereage. This is what I have heard from sources on TV and on the internet, and it seems to hold true with my local lake(s). Plus the big females are very important to the system, and the late winter is almost spawn time for them, so if you keep the smaller males, your really helping.

just my thought on it

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2004, 09:59 PM »
9" to 10" are good!! :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: how big ?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Funny that is what most the females think also.....I guess size does matter ...LOL

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:07 PM »
personally, i wouldn't keep anything under 20". its just a GERM thing so to speak. pictures first, and filets second, then its off in the mail to GERM for a feed. ;D ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2004, 05:59 PM »
 Yes Grumpymoe I do believe you are correct .
    20 iches should be the standard slot size to keep . LOL . Anything under should be properly filleted and shrink wrapped and sent to you and I for study . We will come back with unbiased opinions and let all iceshanty.com know if they are fit to eat . LOL . Germs taste buds are fried so this study can't be left up to him . LOL.
   Walleye fillets  will be considered for study too. Just send .LOL ;D ;D ;D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2004, 10:36 PM »
LOL GRumpy nice one...Chalks one on the wall for Grumpy and well..how fitting for you Trapper to use words like Fried...lol...AS far as the 20 inch Yes   i Don't believe we will hear more from the young lad saying he has caught severel in the 18 inch mark now will we? Nice to have fish stories but lets keep em for the kids who don't know any better, It would be lime me telling trapper dirk That a case of beer is only 10 bucks to buy...He for sure knows it doesnt..LOl tight lines!

lip ripper

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:35 AM »
hey you guys trying to smear my image as a perch fisherman by calling me a lyer i will agree i have not caught alot of monsters like a18 inch perch i have caught1 18 incher and 4or5 between 16and 18 im not saying every perch i catch is huge i have just been lucky .so lay off guys .just cause you didnt catch it dosent mean it wasnt caught.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2004, 10:30 AM »
Think they're just kidding lip ;D.  If you caught an 18 inch perch you're doing well.  An 18 perch will weight about 2 lbs 15 oz, which coincidentally stands as our Alberta record. 

I can understand you being so defensive as you're used to the habital character bashing that occurs on the Fish Alberta Message Board.  Anglers here treat each other respectfully(most of the time), so don't take it to heart if you find guys having a little fun....

Also, if you did catch a fish that large, then who cares if people believe you or not , so long as you know...

Trevor

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:18 PM »
Ya i mean whos cares if we know your a liar err i mean think lol...Hey man all we are saying is show us some pictures even of the lil dinks your cathing in bewtween the 16 and 18 id settle for them...you dont even have to bring in a 20 inch just show me a couple over 17   ;D Im not going to be holding my breath for those pictures though as they are like bigfoot arn't they? Just so you know the Ontario record Perch which is 2.4 pounds only is 14 and a half inches long..Not saying you didn't catch these lot over the 17 im just saying..have you been to the eye doctor latley? Or just not taking your medication? ROFL "Show me the Money" a picture will solves this for ya:> ;D Tight lines! And yes we are very light at heart on  these forums...So don't have a heart attack while reading these as were all just having fun.....at your exspense lol tight lines!

grumpymoe

« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:28 AM »
GERM you're priceless  ;D ;D for someone who does alot of perch fishing, i can't believe you haven't caught on yet. if you want big fish, you have to think big. next time out, take that gaff, (if you have one) and using it as a hook, bait with a nice 1' sucker and start jigging. sooner or later, you'll catch a jumbo and have exclusive bragging rights for yellow perch..lol  ;D ;D grumpymoe

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:57 AM »
LOL at the gaff...Now i didn't think i would've to go there but i will. Ok first off (grumpy this is not ment to you as Out of respect i know you would kick my arse at fishing anyday) Germ NEVER use's a GAFF. I catch fish or i don't...Anyone who i fish would voutch for me . Last year my friend FRANK,,who in the last  3 years i fish with excusivly  for PERH GAFFED a pike on my line.  I was going to let him go...he keeps pike....over 4 pounds under 9....fine but it was my fish...point is ...my fish my call ...I on a personal note don't keep pike ( i live on simcoe im sick of em) When i brought him up he was already targeted dead becasue he GAFFED him...I was shocked..but what do i say as HIm being or should i say never in my site have caught anything other then a perch, fisherman targethed him as dead... Hard call anyhow i kept the fish i ate him that nite and the next (he is a side dish)   but wont go thru it again..I mean i thought him and i were on the same page but becasue of my experiences of Pike and him not knowng there were some ill differences! I don't care much for PIKE fishing in the winter compared to spring summer and fall...they (to my belief) come up like logs~! Anyhow This is just my experience and others may have better and im glad for it, Tight lines and happy replies!

grumpymoe

« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:05 AM »
GERM.  enough joking from me. i personally would not use, or ever use a gaff for any fish. the only place it has a useful purpose and i have posted this in past, is for the commercial fishery and nowhere else. i suppose if i was on saltwater, i would have a different opinion when i comes to large fish, but a true sportsman would not use one. grumpymoe

trapperdirk

« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2004, 11:17 PM »
OH you grumpy ol Buzzard Grumpymoe . I myself are not a big promoter of a gaff but I will use one . I also carry a glove but if I have every intention of killing I do and will use a gaff.
    I am a true sporstsmen and practice catch and release .
     And besides it was a joke . Your like me,,,,,not happy if were not out there  .
   Heres my treble hooked gaff . LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:07 AM »
Now i know why Trapper would use a gaff cause its hard to reel in a fish all the way when you have to take time out to Drink the beer in the middle of catching the fish..LOl so he has a beer in one hand and a Gaff in the other...a spotlot down the hole also wasnt that your trick trapper? ROFL tight lines!

trapperdirk

« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2004, 03:23 AM »
 Now Germ you know you have to first hook a fish of gaffable size to even consider using one . LOL . Even in your case I wouldn't even consider using one on a 4 inch perch . LOL
   Oh the purists .LOL . Are ya sure you even use hooks .? LOL .

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2004, 07:32 AM »
I told ya before i sing to them and they just jump out of the water...Just call me the pied piper of Fishing.

trapperdirk

« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2004, 08:32 AM »
 Please don't sing here Germ . I like to see wildlife not scare it away .
   Geesh the thought of you singing after hearing your voice would want us  all to give up icefishing . LOL
   We have noise bylaws here . LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2004, 11:08 AM »
LOl just goes to show ya how great a fisherman i AM my voice so horrible and i still get the fisshies!ROFL tight lines trapper and go get me some ling or at least set up for my ling anyhow..LING LING LING that is all that should be on your mind....(uses the jedi mind trick on Trapper)

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 18, 2004, 10:40 PM »
there's a lot of nice ones in SD. Reetz Lake near Waubay is a trophy lake. but there are a lot of lakes and sloughs in eastern SD that have large perch. we usually go around the brookings area.
i am from sd and the perch here are great but they arent biting as well this year as last year . i think 8'' perch are great for eating as long as u have a bunch of them

Offline perchfisher89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2005, 06:15 PM »
Lip Ripper,

I saw that you catch lots of perch at lac st. anne. Where do you go on st. anne man? I have been there so many times and have never found a perch there. Thanks a lot for your help!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.