Author Topic: line  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
line
« on: Nov 28, 2005, 07:58 PM »
What is the best line to use to catch perch? What pound test?

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: line
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:30 PM »
I would say any where from 2 to 4lb test line is the way to go, and i use Cold Weather Trilene on all of my poles.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:31 PM »
I spool my lines with 6# mono then tie on about a 3 foot leader of 4# Fluoro.  This way once the leader gets short from re-ties and such I just snip it off and tie on a new piece.  works great for all panfish, you could go down to a 2# leader but if you anticipate the occasional bass or pickeral i would stick with 4#.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:12 AM »
I prefer 2 lb. line for perch. Since perch, even jumbo's, aren't the best fighting fish, I like to have as light as line as I can. Some people go down as low as 1 pound, but use a good reel with a good drag system.
Ken                                          

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:35 AM »
For sensitivity, I'm using Stren Superbraid. You can feel a minnow being inhaled by a perch, the chewing that goes on and the tip of your pole doesn't even move though. It's unbelievable the feel you get.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:08 AM »
I use 4lb ice fishing line. Seems to work fine for me. I think the jig/bait is more important than the line. Unless you are using like 50lb braided line or something.

bigdave1018

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:47 AM »
i use 4# test mr crappie line from bps and tie a 4 # leader off it if the perch get line shy. the price is right and the line is gold and you can see everything thats going on with this line. tight lines big man from another bigman lol. big dave out.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:16 PM »
I prefer using two pound original stren for most shallow to mid depth perch. Four pound stren is better for bigger lures in deeper water, and if your using jigging rapalas, even the smallest ones, six pound stren is best.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:14 PM »
i havent found perch to be very picky or spook by the line being there. i think it matters more as to whats tied on the end of the line. but definately line made for cold weather, it just handles better and lower pound test tends to handle better as well in the cold.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2005, 04:00 PM »
i havent found perch to be very picky or spook by the line being there. i think it matters more as to whats tied on the end of the line. but definately line made for cold weather, it just handles better and lower pound test tends to handle better as well in the cold.

I concur.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.