Author Topic: White perch?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
White perch?
« on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:26 PM »
I'm taking some kids out for a day of fishing on lake that supposedly has a decent population of white perch.  Hopefully this is true and we can get some good action since they are supposed to be aggressive biters, but I have never targeted this species through the ice or open water. Any hints on how they behave in the winter and what they will likely hit?

bib brother

Re: White perch?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2005, 06:16 PM »
i catch them on the same jigs that i catch yellows on, and in the same spots.  small massachusetts ponds are my only ice experience with them though

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2005, 07:02 PM »
in my experience, they are a main-lake basin fish that tend to inhabit similar areas as perch, except i have found that WP will stay closer to the base of the breaks and will tend to be near any structural elements. also the biggest WP i have caught were suspended, swimming in groups of 3 to 5 fish.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2005, 08:59 PM »
White Perch are an odd fish, and seem to act like their cousins, stripers. They tend to hang out in deeper water than yellows alot of the time, and like Lance said, they hang near breaks.

Yellows taste better! :P
               Wes

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2005, 05:51 AM »
Drill alot of holes, slow your jigging down, and fish first close to the bottom, then higher.  If the water is clear and you locate a school, you should do well, up here in Maine, we've got white perch all over, and there is not all that much of a trick to catching them.   We seem to have our best luck on pink and orange colors, like I said, with a slower jigging presentation then what we use for yellows....Good luck
It's all about Karma.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.