Author Topic: The Sex of perch  (Read 6505 times)

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Sex of perch
« on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:39 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that a majority of the perch are females. Out of about 70 there was only 2 males. Is this normal. I fish in manitoba and have started to wonder why the males arent so active.
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The Sex of perch
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2005, 09:11 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that a majority of the perch are females. Out of about 70 there was only 2 males. Is this normal. I fish in manitoba and have started to wonder why the males arent so active.

maybe the males are at work while the females are out chasing around!  j/k  ;)  or maybe ........ well, I better stop now before I get too carried with inappropriate responses with such a loaded question.  - not really sure why it is, haven't ever really paid that much attention.
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline Jbarker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2005, 09:40 AM »
I think you find the majority females because they are the bigger ones you keep. all the 7 to 10 inchers you throw away are most likely the males. But that is just my opinion.
To Fish Or Not To Fish...What A Stupid Question!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2005, 10:55 AM »
I think you find the majority females because they are the bigger ones you keep. all the 7 to 10 inchers you throw away are most likely the males. But that is just my opinion.
Yep that's why RM the males are smaller and usually get tossed back unless they are hooked deep.

bigdave1018

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2005, 01:26 PM »
here in ny, when the males are ripe theres no problem telling the sex of the fish.when they are still green, the females butt hole opening will be puckered and will look either red,pinkish or purple. the females usually are bigger but not always. hope this helps tight lines.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2005, 03:49 PM »
That was pretty graphic big dave are you a perch hole expert. :o JK  ;) Most females are bigger than males though.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2005, 04:08 PM »
out of 11 perch from seneca lake a couple weeks ago 7 were males :P

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2005, 10:42 AM »
out of 11 perch from seneca lake a couple weeks ago 7 were males :P
Boy's night out??? ;)

Offline EscapeIsNever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:24 PM »
how else can u tell the difference of sexes?  yesterday i fished and caught a bunch of perch.  one i guessed was a female b/c i presumed it was full of eggs due to a large 'bulge' behind the stomach.  another i presumed was a male (pardon the graphic-ness) b/c when i pulled it outta the hole it 'leaked' white fluid (sperm?)....just wondering

NEF!

Brian

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2005, 10:05 PM »
thats my way, because when I fillet them the stomach is open and if ther are eggs, or milt it shows up easily. Not sure besides that

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2005, 11:20 PM »
This is a complete generality but the perch that were about 9" or greater that I filleted this year were females, and the males were smaller. I find the same thing is true with walleyes.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:34 AM »
For the most part with fish, the biggest ones are females, not always, but usually.
Ever catch an 8 pound male bass? Not likely. :)

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2005, 01:11 PM »
For the most part with fish, the biggest ones are females, not always, but usually.

Are you saying that the women are the fat hogs ???? ;D :D :D :D :D :D :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2005, 03:41 PM »
reubenpa ::) ::) :whistle: :whistle: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2005, 03:56 PM »

Are you saying that the women are the fat hogs ???? ;D :D :D :D :D :D :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
In this case, yes. ;D
Thank God we're not all like fish, that would be an odd, odd world. :P

-Wes

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:36 AM »

In this case, yes. ;D
Thank God we're not all like fish, that would be an odd, odd world. :P

-Wes

Take a walk through any Wal-Mart and tell me those people aren't like fish ( size of males vs. females )  :woot: >:D
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2005, 12:01 PM »
 :whistle: :woot: :woot: :woot: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :woot: :woot: ;D :D

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:44 PM »
 ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.