The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Picking nightcrawlers?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline RiverFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wisconsin Chapter
Picking nightcrawlers?
« on: Oct 07, 2008, 04:04 PM »
I am wondering if anyone is willing to give up some public areas where one can pick nightcrawlers in Central WI, more specifically the Stevens Point area.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline slegar

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Picking nightcrawlers?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2008, 08:03 AM »
dont know specifics,, but cemetaries are usually a good spot :o. grass is usually kept very short.
And school yards are also pretty good.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2008, 08:46 AM »
golf courses are good, just wait until the ground gets a little dew. I use an old playschool flashlight that has a lens that can turn green or red. the other feature I like is that it will turn off automatically if you don't push any buttons. It doesn't shut right off it slowly fades. You could even buy some crawlers and put them in your own yard. take care of the area and the crawlers will stay. Then wet the area down with a hose before dark, give it some time and you can easily get a couple of dozen. Do it right and you will have a never ending supply of crawlers.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2008, 08:56 AM »
If You have a hospital courthouse etc. with a lawn cruise by in the daytime or close to quitting time and see where they are watering and then hit those places well after dark. There used to be a chemical that You could mix with a 55 gallon barrel of water that when poured out onto the known crawler habitat would bring them boiling out of the ground.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Big Smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing like a Crappie Ice Hole!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2008, 09:02 AM »
1st time player, First time winner!!!!
I love this site!
OK, I grew-up in Indiana and my dad was a coach, after a rain the crawlers would be all over the track and walkway by the football fields.
I'd check there. I think there is a track/feild on the west side of Plover by HH, but I'm not sure if you can get in.
When we wouled pick'em out on the  farm, we'd always use a red lense. You could rig a flashlight with some of that red plastic wrap.
Just my $.02
Stay on top!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Try digging a hole deeper than a 5 gallon bucket. Fill it with leaves and soak the hell out of it. After a day or two, flip the leaves and pull out the crawlers. Works for me. Hope it helps.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:11 PM »
   Public parks, playgrounds, practice putting greens, you want to pick where there is no use of chemical fertilizers or weed killers. Right after a heavy rain tennis courts are great spots, the worms are very easy as they are already completely out of the ground and crawling on pavement. I don't know if you can still access it but In Fisherman magazine ran a great article many many years ago on collecting and keeping crawlers.
Worth a shot at finding out. Way back in the age of Dinosaurs and I was single and in an apartment I use to keep several gross of crawlers in 2 modified Styrofoam coolers with peatmoss bedding damp newspaper on top and a few large Blue Ice packs that I'd rotate from the freezer. Always had great bait and saved a butt load of money.
    P.S.  Thinking back that article may have been in "Fishing Facts" magazine, best on the topic I've ever seen.
                                                                                                  Tight lines
                                                                                                         Spin

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:19 PM »
do you use night crawlers in the winter
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2009, 01:00 PM »
      While living in Illinois i fished for Channel cats thru the ice and crawlers were a top bait.

Spin

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:34 AM »
I did catch a large bluegill with a whole crawler through the ice. But not much else.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Your yard with a sprinkler would probably be a safe bet.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline wheelsonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:40 PM »
Start a chainsaw and sit it on the ground and wait the vibration will draw them up.  :unsure:
Wheelsonice

Offline Kurt Kodl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2009, 10:40 AM »
I've had the best luck in gravel parking lots next to grassy areas.  Last year I picked up over 200 in 15 mins .  Just walk along were the grass and gravel meet, and they are easy to grab crawling on the gravel. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.