The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bait Shops in Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area?  (Read 7189 times)

Offline mike1971

• IceShanty Rookie
Bait Shops in Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area?
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:01 AM »
I'm looking for bait shops in the EC/Chippewa Falls area that open early (i.e., 6 AM). Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline stinkynathan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bait Shops in Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:26 AM »
Good luck.

The only ones I know of are the hardware store in CF, Mouldy's in Hallie, that taxidermy place on Birch in EC, Gander Mt., and Scheel's. As far as I know none of them are open that early, except possibly some on the weekend. The taxidermy/bait shop isn't even open for the posted hours some times.

You might be able to score some waxies or spikes from a gas station though. I know the gas station on North Crossing and Truax has them and I bet the gas station on CRX near Little Wissota would have some, but that's about all I can think of.

Offline slowkota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Biggest jumbo yellabellies
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Good luck.

The only ones I know of are the hardware store in CF, Mouldy's in Hallie, that taxidermy place on Birch in EC, Gander Mt., and Scheel's. As far as I know none of them are open that early, except possibly some on the weekend. The taxidermy/bait shop isn't even open for the posted hours some times.

You might be able to score some waxies or spikes from a gas station though. I know the gas station on North Crossing and Truax has them and I bet the gas station on CRX near Little Wissota would have some, but that's about all I can think of.

I've found that Kwik Trips carry the best waxies! As far as minnows and shiners go... nathan mentioned all of the places that I know of, and none of them open early!

You have to get them the night before, if you're going out early! Thats just what we gotta do I guess!

Offline mike1971

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:28 PM »
Thanks for the help.

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:25 PM »
Express Mart On cty X east of Lake Wissota was minnows & bugs. They, I think are open at 5:00 am.
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:07 AM »
Haven't been ther in a few years, but doesn't Gordy's IGA in Chippewa and Lake Wissota sell bait?
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline stinkynathan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Haven't been ther in a few years, but doesn't Gordy's IGA in Chippewa and Lake Wissota sell bait?

If you're talking the hardware store in the same lot as the grocery store, then yes they still do. They have a pretty good selection too.

Just got minnows and a few shiners from the gas station east of Wissota on CRX. Good size on all of them. No crappie minnows if that's your thing.

Also, I got a few sticklebacks from Mouldies in Hallie on my last scoop of crappie minnows.

Offline mike1971

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have another question. Where do people get their hand auger blades sharpened in the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area?

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Mike, Gordy's True Value out by Wissota sharpend blades or you can exchange for resharped blades.
Where do you live at?
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline mike1971

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:44 AM »
Thanks to all that have helped. I was able to get over to the Lake Wissota Gordy's. They're open at 7am and had live bait, decent selection of tackle, and good selection of hardware. By brother-in-law needed a fishing license and was able to get one there as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.