Author Topic: Green Turtle Pond access  (Read 1262 times)

Offline briansnat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Green Turtle Pond access
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:50 PM »
I know the access road to Green Turtle Pond is in lousy shape any time of the year, but do they keep it open in the winter? If it is kept open do you  think something like a Subaru Forester can make it after the sort of snowfall we just had, or is it serious, off road capable 4WD only?
"Most men fish all their lives without realizing it's not the fish they are after" - Henry Thoreau

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Green Turtle Pond access
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 02:04 PM »
i wouldnt use anything but a 4 x 4 the forester is all wheel not 4 x 4

Offline c morbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I drove that access rd in November on a dry day with a Chrysler Van front wheel drive big mistake could not go faster than 3 to 5 mph weaving big holes.
You may have a little more ground clearance with a Subaru but with snow you will get stuck. Isn't all wheel drive the same as 4x4.

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:31 PM »
I drove that access rd in November on a dry day with a Chrysler Van front wheel drive big mistake could not go faster than 3 to 5 mph weaving big holes.
You may have a little more ground clearance with a Subaru but with snow you will get stuck. Isn't all wheel drive the same as 4x4.
no all wheel is not the same as 4 x4 big difference

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:02 PM »
You'll be fine going down hard parts going up you should be fine though the snows all packed down

Offline c morbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Tom, when I saw your name it reminded me of Evil Knievil, I wondered what he would do to get up that road( if alive) half motorcycle half snowmobile machine with ice fishing sled in tow.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:22 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow anyone else going? And no I'm not bringing my bike cmore.

Offline c morbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Okay, Give us an update tomorrow as to road and ice fishing conditions. Good Luck.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:21 PM »
The road is packed down snow.Made in in and out without 4wd.Fishing terrible 1 9" perch one flag up run drop in deep water.Nothing jigging.Probably 15 to 20 people only saw guys catching dink perch and Sunnys.Out there from 6:30 till 2. Waiting for the other green lake to lock up more.

Offline hunt1940

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:55 PM »
i always bring a set of tire chains just in case..i cant figure out that place...i know not every trout was caught plus winter stocking..in the spring you can slam crappie. but during ice i cant catch a cold.

Offline briansnat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:15 PM »
I was at GTP today. Had a few flags but only caught  1 fish, a fat 18 inch Rainbow. Saw someone else bag a trout about the same size, and a few people I spoke with landed a perch or two. Fishing was pretty slow for everyone it seemed.
"Most men fish all their lives without realizing it's not the fish they are after" - Henry Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.