Author Topic: hut question  (Read 1077 times)

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
hut question
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:47 AM »
So im building a second hut (Found one on the lake left it sit for a couple months and it was still folded up and sitting there, ended up being my friends and he said i could have it so theres one hut) and going off the design of the first one im making one of those tarp sided folding ones, and this one is semi permanent, and my dad has been helping me design the floor but the floor will already be pretty heavy so i am going to trailer it to move it instead of throwing it in a pickup.

So the Floor is already going to be two sheets of 1/2 in. plywood sandwiching a frame made of 2x4's which will be layed so the wide side is down, and there will be 2x4's surrounding every hole and then in every empty space in there we are putting in 2 in. foam insulation (That new style fancy stuff that comes in those big purple sheets)

We will be keeping a folding front and back design because i do not have a crazy amount of extra space in my shop over the summer, between mowers tools vehicles and random stuff, and since they will be the same dimensions almost i will just be stacking them on top of one another but my main question was since this is going to be more permanent is there any insulated tarp or a kind of canvas (Like the military used for tents maybe?) that i can pick up to use for this, and again weight is not a problem its just storage so thats why its going to be a flip down.

TL:DR

What is a cheap insulated tarp or canvas that i can pick up in a big sheet? (Like 20x20 or something like that) (Doesnt matter the weight)
what could i use on my floor
And also what would you do to modify this mainly for comfort/place to put or hang rods and gear while fishing

~Good Luck~

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hut question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Go to a farm and fleet store and look at the heavy tarps

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Go to a farm and fleet store and look at the heavy tarps

ok
~Good Luck~

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:08 AM »
I built one when I first started out.  The best advice I can give anyone thinking about doing it is take the money you're going to spend on this and buy a hub.   

If you're committed to the idea the first tip I would give you is to revise your floor plan.  The insulation sandwich is going to be overkill, expensive, and heavy.  Plus I'd worry about moisture getting in there and rotting the whole works from the inside out.  I'm assuming you're going to have it up on runners so you can slide it around and keep it from freezing in.  If so you're going to have a cushion of air plus a sheet of plywood between your feet and the ice which is plenty sufficient.  If need be you can always bank it in too.  Heat rises, so it's completely pointless to have a heavy duty insulated floor with fabric walls.

For the canvas finding anything thick or insulated in one big piece is probably going to be very tough or very expensive.  You could use canvas drop cloths or try checking at local fabric stores but you will need to sew pieces together.  You might find something that would work well at the type of places that make custom boat/car covers and awnings but be prepared $$$$.

There isn't really a whole lot you can do to trick out the inside of them since there's virtually no space when it's folded.  You could probably put a small rod rack on the side opposite the door and fold that side first.  You can hang your jackets or whatever off the spreader bars if need be.  If you want a cleaner looking setup you can buy catch covers for the holes, but you need an electric auger or you're gonna smoke the place out and spend all day smelling exhaust.

I'm not sure what you mean by "semi-permanent" but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving one of these out on the ice unattended, especially if you end up sticking a bunch of cash in nice canvas and stuff.  First the elements will be tough, and it only takes about 60 seconds for two guys to fold one of these up and sling it into a truck bed. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 02:17 PM »
I built one when I first started out.  The best advice I can give anyone thinking about doing it is take the money you're going to spend on this and buy a hub.   

If you're committed to the idea the first tip I would give you is to revise your floor plan.  The insulation sandwich is going to be overkill, expensive, and heavy.  Plus I'd worry about moisture getting in there and rotting the whole works from the inside out.  I'm assuming you're going to have it up on runners so you can slide it around and keep it from freezing in.  If so you're going to have a cushion of air plus a sheet of plywood between your feet and the ice which is plenty sufficient.  If need be you can always bank it in too.  Heat rises, so it's completely pointless to have a heavy duty insulated floor with fabric walls.

For the canvas finding anything thick or insulated in one big piece is probably going to be very tough or very expensive.  You could use canvas drop cloths or try checking at local fabric stores but you will need to sew pieces together.  You might find something that would work well at the type of places that make custom boat/car covers and awnings but be prepared $$$$.

There isn't really a whole lot you can do to trick out the inside of them since there's virtually no space when it's folded.  You could probably put a small rod rack on the side opposite the door and fold that side first.  You can hang your jackets or whatever off the spreader bars if need be.  If you want a cleaner looking setup you can buy catch covers for the holes, but you need an electric auger or you're gonna smoke the place out and spend all day smelling exhaust.

I'm not sure what you mean by "semi-permanent" but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving one of these out on the ice unattended, especially if you end up sticking a bunch of cash in nice canvas and stuff.  First the elements will be tough, and it only takes about 60 seconds for two guys to fold one of these up and sling it into a truck bed.
[/quote

only using the insulation sandwich because i have that stuff laying around, the wood is all treated and will be doing a coating on the outside and using a couple old tubes of silicon around the outside to seal it better,

and im honestly not worried about anybody stealing it because when i do leave it out for weeks at a time it would be on my uncles private lake and i literally almsot constantly have people who ask to use my hub style when i leave it up and that lasted my family about 10 years until it essentially blew apart this year, so im not scared of people stealing it
~Good Luck~

Offline Sppedxcv9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 02:23 AM »
If you have good information like this, share it. Do not forget to call me. I like this story very much.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.