The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Caspian  (Read 17112 times)

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Caspian
« Reply #60 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Nice on the 20"er!!  I only managed one 16" jigging this morning.  Plenty on the vex chasing but wouldn't bite damnit.  Plenty of ice left.  Were you over by the sunken islands south of Burlington Point?  And where is this confounded brewery??

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:40 PM »
Got on the ice at the public access close to Wiley's store, off to the left, were you the guy on foot or on the snowmobile?

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:45 PM »
congrats on the 1st laker! many more to come!

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Mar 10, 2017, 02:05 PM »
That's great you iced a laker.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Mar 10, 2017, 03:03 PM »
I was on foot on north side of Birch.  Talked to the guy on the sled for a bit, he said the guy over at the sunken islands had only marked one fish by 9:00 or so.

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 10, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Yeah our most of our action was early. After about 10:00 we didn't get a dang thing, but the beer at the brewery was good!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #66 on: Mar 10, 2017, 03:51 PM »
Cool.
Nothing better than a couple glasses of warm flat stinky beers after a good day on the ice.
That's a great place to catch your first laker.
Good job.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Mar 10, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Man tips with uncle Rob? Youtube?
I was just kidding, hence the smiley. Definitely other beer worthy of buying and drinking.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #68 on: Mar 10, 2017, 05:37 PM »
Nice on the 20"er!!  I only managed one 16" jigging this morning.  Plenty on the vex chasing but wouldn't bite damnit.  Plenty of ice left.  Were you over by the sunken islands south of Burlington Point?  And where is this confounded brewery??

How far are you making them chase before they turn away? 

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Mar 11, 2017, 05:19 AM »
I think the 'unavailability' is definitely a part of it. But now, the market is so oversaturated with microbreweries, some on par with The Alchemist and HF, that it doesn't really matter anymore. When I started college in 2004, Long Trail and Magic Hat were considered microbreweries. Now they look like massive conglomerates. I'm pretty sick of seeing 80% of the 'nicer' beers in stores and restaurants being IPAs. I do like them, but I like lots of other beers as well. I'd like to see some more variation in what people make rather than stuffing in as many hops as they can. The Alchemist used to have an excellent selection at the brewpub in Waterbury, but now they brew 4 IPAs. It would be great to see some of their older beers make a comeback (Donovan's Red specifically..). /endrant
X 2 on the  Donovan's Red (was my go to beer at the brew pub) as well as some of their Wheat beers.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 11, 2017, 05:47 AM »
They would chase half way up the water column where I would stop the tube and jig.  They'd watch it for a few seconds then back to the bottom.  Frustrating!  On other days I've had them hammer it going up but not yesterday.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Mar 11, 2017, 08:46 AM »
They would chase half way up the water column where I would stop the tube and jig.  They'd watch it for a few seconds then back to the bottom.  Frustrating!  On other days I've had them hammer it going up but not yesterday.

Try not stopping.  I've literally had them slam baits 1' from the hole.  On multiple lakes.  The other thing is if they slow down on the chase up drop past and see if they chase down.  If they do I usually pound bottom and they pick it up.  Now if you switch the tube for a jig with plastic with a paddle tail you may see more hits on the chase.  Good luck!  (Im chasing them in NY tomorrow, I was going to come up to Caspian but closer water is still good)

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:42 AM »
10-4, thanks for the info and good luck to you as well!

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Mar 11, 2017, 05:59 PM »

Lately a lot of the lakers at Caspian have been doing this. I think they are on to the typical presentations since the season is coming to a close. Try a smaller presentation. I have had them hit small bug-looking makiplastics on small tungsten jig heads there recently.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Mar 11, 2017, 06:02 PM »
And as for the whole microbrew hysteria, sure, Vermont has some of the best beers in the world, but I am getting tired of seeing them on tap at my favorite restaurants for like 6 bucks and up a pint! You can't get a decent pour for under 3 bucks at most spots. Beer-flation I call it. Been on an anti-microbrew kick lately. Genessee baby! $8.50 for a 12 pack!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Mar 11, 2017, 06:22 PM »
near me. fiddlehead ipa $8 growlers on mondays. restaurant near here has 1/2 price on all drafts 2x week so switchbacks are $2. bobcat cafe brewery pints are underpriced at $4.50!!! cheapest beer I can drink anymore is heineken. Ive only had the Hill beer a couple times at restaurants never visited the brewery, but I can say their porter is the best porter I have ever had by far.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Mar 11, 2017, 06:27 PM »
And as for the whole microbrew hysteria, sure, Vermont has some of the best beers in the world, but I am getting tired of seeing them on tap at my favorite restaurants for like 6 bucks and up a pint! You can't get a decent pour for under 3 bucks at most spots. Beer-flation I call it. Been on an anti-microbrew kick lately. Genessee baby! $8.50 for a 12 pack!

Love that cream ale

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:59 PM »

X2  I draw the line at $12 + six packs.

I'm going to to try and hit up Caspian one last time on Monday. Im going to throw everything I got at 'em.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip weatherman, guess I'll have to try some of Greensboro's microbrew although Switchback is about how the farthest I'll venture from my BL's.  DJ, we're headed to Caspian today through weds, unless weds is a blizzard.  We'll be there tomorrow somewhere around Birch Point.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Mar 12, 2017, 08:01 AM »
They still make six packs?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Mar 12, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I tend to stick to Labatts, PBR's, and every week I get a local beer. Variety is the spice of life guys. Oh yeah- I might head up to Caspian Tuesday...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Brutal out there today.  2 guys I was fishing with got 3 between them jigging and I got a big ol skunk.  0 flags which I really don't understand.  Tench, we'll be on Caspian at daylight somewhere near Birch Point M-T and W depending on storm.  Stop by.

Offline Maxxis31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:49 PM »
well i finally fished Caspian yesterday March 11th 2017, a trip i surely will not forget, my buddy and i have had this planned for a couple months now and of course we knew the weather was going to be as cold as predicted, we set up on the northwest side over by a green camp, thinking we were out far enough for 50 to 60 feet of water we set up our shanty in the 25 to 30 mph winds felt like, LOL, we got schooled real quick once we drilled holes to jig, i dropped my jig to bottom and was greatly disappointed we were in 10 ft of water, as miserable as the weather was we decided at this point we were just going try for perch, i had one fish on and lost him, we will get redemption next season hopefully,  we are die hard ice guys and don't get discouraged easily, we know the potential for these waters, anyways my first outing will not be forgotten , good luck to those fishing today, tight lines to all.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Mar 12, 2017, 04:51 PM »
well i finally fished Caspian yesterday March 11th 2017, a trip i surely will not forget, my buddy and i have had this planned for a couple months now and of course we knew the weather was going to be as cold as predicted, we set up on the northwest side over by a green camp, thinking we were out far enough for 50 to 60 feet of water we set up our shanty in the 25 to 30 mph winds felt like, LOL, we got schooled real quick once we drilled holes to jig, i dropped my jig to bottom and was greatly disappointed we were in 10 ft of water, as miserable as the weather was we decided at this point we were just going try for perch, i had one fish on and lost him, we will get redemption next season hopefully,  we are die hard ice guys and don't get discouraged easily, we know the potential for these waters, anyways my first outing will not be forgotten , good luck to those fishing today, tight lines to all.

Caspian lake is on navionics
Great app check it out.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Maxxis31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Mar 12, 2017, 05:30 PM »
thanks for the info Light liner, will check it out.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Mar 12, 2017, 06:52 PM »
My plans for a Caspian trip tomorrow are not looking good. :'( I spent today on Lake Fairlee hunkered down in my flipover, trying not to get blown off the lake, but got a decent Brown for my efforts. With this storm coming and the season coming to a close it looks like it will be a looooooong summer of dreaming about those red lines on my Vexilar. Jigging for lakers has become a mild obsession and I cant wait to get back at it next year. Good luck up there this week fellas!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Mar 12, 2017, 11:48 PM »
Brutal out there today.  2 guys I was fishing with got 3 between them jigging and I got a big ol skunk.  0 flags which I really don't understand.  Tench, we'll be on Caspian at daylight somewhere near Birch Point M-T and W depending on storm.  Stop by.

Thanks for the invite. All depends on how much snow is coming down and the most recent forecast as to if I'll make the drive or not.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Mar 13, 2017, 07:47 AM »

I was over on the south side of Burlington Point yesterday (sunday). You were the only other guys I saw out on the ice. The wind and fishing were both terrible. I got hammered by a nice laker within the first 15 min which got my hopes up, only to see basically nothing the rest of the day. Fished 20-30 fow, 60 fow, and the big drop by the islands. That was my first time on Caspian. Looking forward to fishing it again when mother nature isn't so cranky.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Now I'm thirsty, and I really want to catch a laker.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Mar 13, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Been on Caspian from 6 until 2:30, very thirsty!  Got 2 jigging 16" and 19", ZERO flags.  Going back one more time tomorrow am and the fat lady will be singing the blues for trout season for me.  Cheers everyone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.