The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Moore Reservoir walleye??  (Read 15490 times)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Moore Reservoir walleye??
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2017, 04:35 AM »
Please post pics of the "plenty of huge trout " being caught above Moore dam, I love seeing trout pics ! :)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:12 AM »
Browns and Rainbows are not native to the Ct watershed either so how is it OK to continue stocking those fish but not walleye? I believe that trout and walleye can and have coexisted. The Waterbury Rez had both big Browns, Brookies and Rainbows as well as a healthy walleye population prior to the 1986 drain down for dam repairs. Just saying.

30 years ago our fisheries were much different. There used to be a healthy population of eyes in Shelburne until the die off, and ever since then they have never been able to re-establish the population.  I don't care at all about stocked fish, I am making a point that there are already well-established populations of WILD, naturally reproducing trout. Why spend all of that time and money to stock eyes when they arent certain they will even reproduce and not impact the wild population of fish?  This is a classic case of "us anglers know better than biologists that do this fer' a livin'" The safest thing they can do for the trout population in that area is to not stock walleye, nuff' said.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:08 AM »
30 years ago our fisheries were much different. There used to be a healthy population of eyes in Shelburne until the die off, and ever since then they have never been able to re-establish the population.  I don't care at all about stocked fish, I am making a point that there are already well-established populations of WILD, naturally reproducing trout. Why spend all of that time and money to stock eyes when they arent certain they will even reproduce and not impact the wild population of fish?  This is a classic case of "us anglers know better than biologists that do this fer' a livin'" The safest thing they can do for the trout population in that area is to not stock walleye, nuff' said.

Best thing to do it get rid of the pike and bass!!

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:49 AM »
Best thing to do it get rid of the pike and bass!!

Good luck with that! They are more tenacious than a pack rabid of Honey Badgers! Maybe there's an opportunity here for a start-up that genetically engineers viruses that only work on certain species of fish... Let's start with the Asian Carp before it gets here...

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:09 AM »
Good luck with that! They are more tenacious than a pack rabid of Honey Badgers! Maybe there's an opportunity here for a start-up that genetically engineers viruses that only work on certain species of fish... Let's start with the Asian Carp before it gets here...

Convince the hipsters to want Asian carp and they'll fork out big bucks for them.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:10 AM »
Matt and weatherman ??? ::)  After three year study both Vt. and NH biologist determined that Moore Reservoir had  ideal habitat and forage for walleye.  The didn't feel that migrating walleye would adversely effect the tail race fishery.   They had to go all the way to upper Macindoes  reservoir to find some brown trout  that they felt might be naturally spawning?     Moore and Comerford have been stocked with trout for many decades.  Those trout often pass through turbines to downriver waters.   When I sponsored the tail race trout regulation I was told by the head biologist that it might be a bad move that would attract many more fishermen and reduce the average size of trout and require regular stocking to retaining fishable numbers.  I had thought about the same regulation for the Comerford tail race but he convinced me not to do it?    Now!  Because of TU concerns for possible naturally spawning trout,  Both states are thinking about discontinuing and stocking.     
I do find it interesting that you find it so easy to determine that your Moore trout were "wild fish"?   
I'm angry with those who brought Champlain pike to Moore but I feel that we are now dealing with an entirely different fishery that might require different management?
Sorry we disagree on this issue.
Dick

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Obviously there are several posters here that have NEVER fished Moore dam area  and maybe don't know where it is . ::) Talks about tribs and walleye escaping up those tribs is total nonsense. Walleyes exist in the Conn river down stream about ten miles(in the same area as your wild trout) ,they just need a helping hand over a few dams and they will be in the reservoir . I'm not advocating illegal bucket stocking but  state sponsored stocking.

I've been mostly quiet in this thread since while I know where the place is, I have never fished it, or even dipped a toe in the water there, so I have no idea whether walleye would be a good idea there or not.

Randy

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Matt and weatherman ??? ::)  After three year study both Vt. and NH biologist determined that Moore Reservoir had  ideal habitat and forage for walleye.  The didn't feel that migrating walleye would adversely effect the tail race fishery.   They had to go all the way to upper Macindoes  reservoir to find some brown trout  that they felt might be naturally spawning?     Moore and Comerford have been stocked with trout for many decades.  Those trout often pass through turbines to downriver waters.   When I sponsored the tail race trout regulation I was told by the head biologist that it might be a bad move that would attract many more fishermen and reduce the average size of trout and require regular stocking to retaining fishable numbers.  I had thought about the same regulation for the Comerford tail race but he convinced me not to do it?    Now!  Because of TU concerns for possible naturally spawning trout,  Both states are thinking about discontinuing and stocking.     
I do find it interesting that you find it so easy to determine that your Moore trout were "wild fish"?   
I'm angry with those who brought Champlain pike to Moore but I feel that we are now dealing with an entirely different fishery that might require different management?
Sorry we disagree on this issue.
Dick

I have personally witnessed WILD rainbow trout spawning in that area. I have spoken with a NH bio about the same water and location, and they have confirmed there is natural reproduction of both browns and rainbows.   So, you want the states to spend an abundant amount of money to stock a fish that not only grows extremely slow, fights like a log, and is hard to hatch and raise for what exactly??  A meat fishery at the possible expense of an established population of wild trout? You do realize that you wont even see walleye over 20" for...8-10 years if I remember correctly?  All because people don't want to drive an extra diatance and put in the effort to catch walleye. Well, I've done my fair share of traveling for many species around VT and im not complaining. What's next?  A thread about stocking chinook in Champlain? 

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:38 AM »
I'm with you, Dick.  I've fished for, and caught, both walleye and naturally reproducing trout in the Connecticut River.  I think Moore Reservoir would be a fantastic place to establish a walleye fishery.   

Frankly, I think that the anti-walleye sentiment is the expression of a pervasive pro-trout snobbery.  I am sure that if fly fishing for walleye was to become a "thing", the perspective would change.  Just look at what has happened with the status of carp and pike in the fly fishing world.

We all know that naturally reproducing trout in Moore Reservoir are the progeny of stocked fish.  The same for the salmonids in Champlain. Are these fish entitled to more status as "wild" fish if they naturally reproduce?  No one reveres bass or perch (white or yellow) for their natural reproduction or elevates them on the fish hierarchy for being wild. 

For some reason, trout are different.  They're considered special and more worthy of attention and admiration.  Perhaps if A River Runs Through It had been filmed on Mille Lacs in Minnesota, things would be different.   

In any case, I personally think walleye are an interesting fish.  They can be caught with a variety of techniques but are never (for me anyway) easy to catch.  I've enjoyed trying some of the midwest techniques to catch walleye in the Connecticut River.  I also enjoy fishing for trout and salmon with a variety of techniques.  And my fly tying vise is right here at my computer desk.   

I think that Vermont has some very good trout fisheries and does an admirable job managing them, but I'd like to have more opportunity to catch some walleye.  From what I understand, Moore Reservoir could sustain a good population of them.   I say go for it.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:58 AM »
I'm with you, Dick.  I've fished for, and caught, both walleye and naturally reproducing trout in the Connecticut River.  I think Moore Reservoir would be a fantastic place to establish a walleye fishery.   

Frankly, I think that the anti-walleye sentiment is the expression of a pervasive pro-trout snobbery.  I am sure that if fly fishing for walleye was to become a "thing", the perspective would change.  Just look at what has happened with the status of carp and pike in the fly fishing world.

We all know that naturally reproducing trout in Moore Reservoir are the progeny of stocked fish.  The same for the salmonids in Champlain. Are these fish entitled to more status as "wild" fish if they naturally reproduce?  No one reveres bass or perch (white or yellow) for their natural reproduction or elevates them on the fish hierarchy for being wild. 

For some reason, trout are different.  They're considered special and more worthy of attention and admiration.  Perhaps if A River Runs Through It had been filmed on Mille Lacs in Minnesota, things would be different.   

In any case, I personally think walleye are an interesting fish.  They can be caught with a variety of techniques but are never (for me anyway) easy to catch.  I've enjoyed trying some of the midwest techniques to catch walleye in the Connecticut River.  I also enjoy fishing for trout and salmon with a variety of techniques.  And my fly tying vise is right here at my computer desk.   

I think that Vermont has some very good trout fisheries and does an admirable job managing them, but I'd like to have more opportunity to catch some walleye.  From what I understand, Moore Reservoir could sustain a good population of them.   I say go for it.

Still boils down to, "I don't want to drive that far to catch walleye, so the state needs to start stocking them in more places"   Walleye on flies?  I fly fish for the thrill. Nothing says thrill like fishing for something that fights like a wet rag, right?  Why dont we just cut to the chase and have the state fund a walleye farm that will hatch, raise and then fillet them on site (after they reach 20" which takes 8~ years) and sell the fillets to anglers?  Because let's be honest, they're only good for the meat. I say add a walleye tax to our license fees and get the ball rolling!  Get me some walleye meat by 2030!!!

I've said all I need to say in this thread. The decision to not stock walleye speaks for itself.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:56 AM »
 ??? ::)  OK! Matt. Can we leave at that ?   You love trout, hate walleye?   Moore Reservoir is in my back yard and not yours.  I'll be dead before any different fish populate the Conn. river reservoirs.  But I would hope for some positive input NOT Love/Hate disputes?

Dick

Offline Lazybones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Still boils down to, "I don't want to drive that far to catch walleye, so the state needs to start stocking them in more places"   Walleye on flies?  I fly fish for the thrill. Nothing says thrill like fishing for something that fights like a wet rag, right?  Why dont we just cut to the chase and have the state fund a walleye farm that will hatch, raise and then fillet them on site (after they reach 20" which takes 8~ years) and sell the fillets to anglers?  Because let's be honest, they're only good for the meat. I say add a walleye tax to our license fees and get the ball rolling!  Get me some walleye meat by 2030!!!

I've said all I need to say in this thread. The decision to not stock walleye speaks for itself.

Matt,
Everyone has their own reasons for why they fish and what they fish for. Discounting someone's opinions because they are just 'lowly meat fisherman' (as I often am myself, love those walleye fillets) only reinforces the snobbish and arrogant attitude that is a common stereotype often associated with the hardcore fly fishermen. (I know many fly fisherman that absolutely don't fit that common stereotype) It is doubly reinforced when some of the other reasons for the opposition could equally be applied to some of the species and locations that you do find acceptable.

I don't have enough knowledge or experience with this area to really have a relevant opinion. Just based on this thread I think the pro walleye contributions are making a better case than the anti walleye. for what that is worth.

I do feel comfortable taking an opinion that: 'they grow to slowly', 'they don't fight hard enough' or how far one has to or doesn't have to drive are not valid points in this debate. That does seem to be what it boils down to for you.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:00 AM »

Thanks ;D  We need more new , open minded fishermen , like you.
Dick

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:09 AM »

what a well written, sound, level-headed post.

For the life of me, I can't think of one fishery that I have personally seen effected by the introduction of walleye.

I'm not really sure how this would effect Johnny Orvis Purist at all.

Love the wet rag comment though, kind of a  funny thing to say while advocating dumb stocked trout. 

I will always be for anything that increases angling opportunities, this would certainly be one of them.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Matt,
Everyone has their own reasons for why they fish and what they fish for. Discounting someone's opinions because they are just 'lowly meat fisherman' (as I often am myself, love those walleye fillets) only reinforces the snobbish and arrogant attitude that is a common stereotype often associated with the hardcore fly fishermen. (I know many fly fisherman that absolutely don't fit that common stereotype) It is doubly reinforced when some of the other reasons for the opposition could equally be applied to some of the species and locations that you do find acceptable.

I don't have enough knowledge or experience with this area to really have a relevant opinion. Just based on this thread I think the pro walleye contributions are making a better case than the anti walleye. for what that is worth.

I do feel comfortable taking an opinion that 'they grow to slowly', 'they don't fight hard enough' or how far one has to or doesn't have to drive as being valid points in this debate. That does seem to be what it boils down to for you.

Its not an opinion that walleye fight like wet rags, its a statement. I have never hooked into a walleye that had much fight, and I would like to think I have caught many of the larger fish VT has to offer. Comparitively, they are lazy fish. I cant think of any fish in Champlain that, at 28-30" offers less of a fight than a walleye.

As for the progeny of stocked fish, that can be said about pretty much every single wild trout fishery in the Northeast - besides an actual native brook trout. The populations that are naturally reproducing successfully are the ones that are more rare. I dont know the numbers of fish stocked in that specific area, but I have been told supplemental stocking of trout do little to the wild trout populations. Dog River for example. Browns are stocked in the Winooski but have access to the lower part of the Dog river, but the biomass in the Dog during electro surveys showed all wild fish.

As for the dumb stocked trout comment, I have caught 15" pellet head rainbows that fought harder than 24" eyes. Plus, never once have I advocated trout stocking.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2017, 02:55 PM »
 ???  Matt?  I thought you posted that you had stated your case??    I will try not to tell you what is best for your Champlain Valley fishery and I hope you will not try to tell me what I think is best for my Conn.  River  management.   I have 40 years of fishing experience here.   I love trout and I love walleye but I'm afraid I have little tolerance for people who who want to mandate my fish wishes, from 2 hours away??
Dick

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Matt -- although the walleye may not be considered the number one best fighting game fish, it is considered one of the best eating freshwater game fish in North America and an extremely important game fish economically for many regions of the country -- it is actually on the menu in some of most well respected restaurants in the Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc...)!!  Walleye is the official state fish for Minnesota (South Dakota also) and is the most sought after fish in the state (twice as much as an other species...) -- by the way, Minnesota's DNR stocks over a 1,000 of its lakes annually with walleye and has a very successful walleye stocking program (over 3.0mm fish are harvested by fisherman annually)...!!  Some schools actually close for the day, for the walleye opener in Minnesota ('Land of 10,000 Lakes')...!  So, anyway, I'd go easy on berating the walleye as some lowly game fish...!!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2017, 04:19 PM »
 ;D  Thanks Hess!   But you are teaching to a class of two who have already set minds.!!    I just got an Email from biologist that confirmed that Matt is correct in saying that walleye are slower growing than trout.   Rainbow trout grow at a rate of .34 inches per month.  Brown trout grow at a rate of .24 inches per month.  Walleye grow at a rate of .22 inches per month.   The Conn. River has a slot limit that would pretty much put all of them at a similar size before they could be eaten?    I do enjoy a good meal of walleye?
Dick

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:16 PM »
I'll agree that walleyes often don't fight very hard, but in fairness I've at times had them fight as hard as any laker or pike around and even had them break 12 Lb line. On the other hand, I've never seen a recently stocked trout do more than wiggle on the hook- sure, once they've been out in the world and eating real food and working for a living, but the put and take ones are only slightly more interesting than buying them at the seafood counter at the store.

Randy

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Matt -- although the walleye may not be considered the number one best fighting game fish, it is considered one of the best eating freshwater game fish in North America and an extremely important game fish economically for many regions of the country -- it is actually on the menu in some of most well respected restaurants in the Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc...)!!  Walleye is the official state fish for Minnesota (South Dakota also) and is the most sought after fish in the state (twice as much as an other species...) -- by the way, Minnesota's DNR stocks over a 1,000 of its lakes annually with walleye and has a very successful walleye stocking program (over 3.0mm fish are harvested by fisherman annually)...!!  Some schools actually close for the day, for the walleye opener in Minnesota ('Land of 10,000 Lakes')...!  So, anyway, I'd go easy on berating the walleye as some lowly game fish...!!

Pretty sure you missed Matt's point about people mostly wanting them there to eat? That they are a good eating fish was never in question, and not central to his argument.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:14 PM »
What's next?  A thread about stocking chinook in Champlain?

We stocked those all around Vermont in the '30's....didn't take....neither did the swordfish.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:15 AM »
So I guess the discussion was 100% in favor of stocking walleyes in Moore!  ;D

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:52 AM »
We stocked those all around Vermont in the '30's....didn't take....neither did the swordfish.

Wish the sawfish had caught on, personally- I always thought they were cool. They should try them in more ponds.

Randy

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:59 AM »
So I guess the discussion was 100% in favor of stocking walleyes in Moore!  ;D

;D  Well you and I are 100% in favor.
Dick

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:35 AM »
I don't really eat fish, and I fish constantly and I love walleye fishing for the challenge, as well as most other fish.  Last year I got a 8.5lb walleye and was very happy :-). Some do swim right in, others fight like crazy. Don't base an argument on they are only interest to people who are eating them. This lake had walleye before. and still makes me laugh that you think browns and rainbows aren't competing with your native brookies. You'd have less competition if you stopped stocking browns and rainbows and stocked walleye in stead.......if your really concerned about the native populations.....Since the walleye did well before why not allow them back in. To be honest having walleye extends hours I can fish as I can day and night fish, which to me is a great way of extending my time it took to put all those holes in the lake in the first place..........;-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Count me in as well...!!

Offline Lazybones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Its not an opinion that walleye fight like wet rags, its a statement. I have never hooked into a walleye that had much fight, and I would like to think I have caught many of the larger fish VT has to offer. Comparitively, they are lazy fish. I cant think of any fish in Champlain that, at 28-30" offers less of a fight than a walleye.

As for the progeny of stocked fish, that can be said about pretty much every single wild trout fishery in the Northeast - besides an actual native brook trout. The populations that are naturally reproducing successfully are the ones that are more rare. I dont know the numbers of fish stocked in that specific area, but I have been told supplemental stocking of trout do little to the wild trout populations. Dog River for example. Browns are stocked in the Winooski but have access to the lower part of the Dog river, but the biomass in the Dog during electro surveys showed all wild fish.

As for the dumb stocked trout comment, I have caught 15" pellet head rainbows that fought harder than 24" eyes. Plus, never once have I advocated trout stocking.

I think you missed the point. I agree that walleyes are not a hard fighting fish compared to some. The point is, that is a completely irrelevant factor in determining whether to introduce them or not.  It comes across as arrogant and selfish to suggest they shouldn't be stocked just because they don't fight hard enough for you. Or grow to slowly for you. Or because people target them to eat.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2017, 11:49 AM »
I'm there with you guys too! Never been much of a trout guy, I do enjoy fishing for lakers ( and avoid anyplace that is put and take unless I have my 2 year old) but generally spend my winters chasing toothy critters and summers on the salt when I can. I think walleye would be a great addition to moore, there are TONS of places to fish for trout. I've always thought (most of the reason I fish warm water and some lake trout) it's much more fun to chase something that isn't put in 2-3 times a year for catching. Walleye yes would obviously have to be stocked but would be prolific once established.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2017, 12:13 PM »
Matt,

I do feel comfortable taking an opinion that: 'they grow to slowly', 'they don't fight hard enough' or how far one has to or doesn't have to drive are not valid points in this debate. That does seem to be what it boils down to for you.

Incredibly well written and impossible to argue any points otherwise.  Someone's rhetoric needs some rethinking after getting leveled by one of the clearest posts I think I've read here.

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #59 on: Feb 03, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Lol. When is this thread going to the Grumpy Old Men Shanty page??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.