The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Epic Lake Champlain Pike Weekend  (Read 8808 times)

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Epic Lake Champlain Pike Weekend
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2015, 02:44 PM »
That spot has been busy all winter, the bites been tough all winter with conditions and all. Access has been iffy and the snow drifts were terrible in some spots. Lots of stuck trucks... The stars and planets aligned this weekend, warm weather, lots of ice, perfect spot meant for a dream fishing day. The spot is no secret at all, everyone around sees those campers and they know where they are...

Those campers have been stripped of all un necessary stuff to save weight. If the conditions are right it can be hauled on the ice with an atv

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Nice work!  I'll never forget my epic Champlain pike day: March 30, 2008 on Macomb Bay. At least 50 pike and I think my face still hurts from the sunburn.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2015, 03:14 PM »
Awesome day, congrats and enjoy dem eats!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2015, 04:05 PM »
nice harvest. enjoy your many meals.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Congrats on a great catch.  You guys have some real slab fillets there.  I was up there with a friend on Friday.  We fished from daybreak till about 2 p.m.  and iced over 20 pike.  The biggest was only a bit over 5 lbs. though.  It was my 1st time there and quite the experience as there was a constant parade of trucks and ATVs headed out there for at least a solid hour after we got set up.  It was hard to get back to the launch without going through the  1000+ tip ups on the ice. 

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Nice work!  I'll never forget my epic Champlain pike day: March 30, 2008 on Macomb Bay. At least 50 pike and I think my face still hurts from the sunburn.
My epic day on Champlain for pike was about 10 days earlier than yours and we iced about 30 and released another 20 or so. No sun on my day, just brutally windy. We sent someone on a food trip and he came back about 3 hours later with about 25 dollar menu burgers...he drank the beer money.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:29 PM »
My epic day on Champlain for pike was about 10 days earlier than yours and we iced about 30 and released another 20 or so. No sun on my day, just brutally windy. We sent someone on a food trip and he came back about 3 hours later with about 25 dollar menu burgers...he drank the beer money.
Oops, forgot to say it was on Lapans Bay.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Nice catch, I keep most of what I get on the ice and it either goes on our table or to some elderly people that are very appreciative (whether I've cleaned the fish or not!). Nothing wrong with keeping what you catch.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:25 PM »
That was a good pike day. I love that bay. Congrats on a great day
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:36 PM »
i used to pike fish but bait got expensive so i stopped chasin gators ill still go if i take somebody who wants to for em and is willing to buy bait otherwise i stick to panfish
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:41 PM »
What a day for you guys! I have had some action packed days of pike fishing through the ice, but  I've never caught that many fish! Must've been fun.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:51 PM »
4 guys 15 tips a person lol 60 tip ups wow i can only imagine the island derby no wonder its called lake of a 1000 tip ups
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:43 PM »
icefiend your posts could not be considered any more than pollution to a thread as they already are. Please keep your negative comments to yourself because they are doing no good. This thread was to spread my joy of a dream fishing outing, why are you on a fishing forum if your going to bash fellow fisherman... Are we not a family...

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Agreed. Don't let him take any of your thunder away. He either is anti fisherman, or is a pike fisherman that hasn't had a day half as good as yours. Either he way I would accredit his negativity to complete jealousy.

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Fish and game do their best to regulate fish stock in lake champlain. When you are handed a BOOK on rules and regulations it is because there has been relentless research done to provide as accurate information as possible to preserve fish stock. I mean Bernie is out on the water every single day checking catches... Some laws don't make sense and they are trying their best to adjust accordingly. Today our keep is 5 perhaps tomorrow it will be 10... maybe 2... but for now research has proven exceptionally healthy stock  populations when it comes to pike so as far as i am concerned follow the rules and regs and your are doing no harm...

You can shoot fish with a shotgun but don't get caught using a lead split shot... Pollution is fish populations worst enemy. much like humans....

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:55 PM »
I don't think there's a shortage of pike in lake Champlain... I agree that regulations are put into place for a reason. And as long as you follow these regulations then your good. He's just jealous.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 15, 2015, 10:27 PM »
Awsome day for sure! I'm glad a bunch of guys put big pike Back in the lake. Gives me the opportunity to catch and keep them. ;D
Not many know how or care to learn how to debone them. Best eating fish IMO. The bigger the fish the bigger the fillets. You followed the rules bud, like many others have said. The guys that get upset about it have probably only ever caught two pike.  For some odd reason folks think fishing is a sport created for catching and releasing. When infact fishing was and in some cases is a way of survival. I used to get harped on about the amount of fish I stick in my freezer. Most seasons 100- 150 lbs of all types of fillets. With that added to the few deer I only need to buy chicken and pork at the supermarket if I choose too. I love the idea of providing for my wife and kids this way. As I'm sure you do or will too. Keep up the good work!!!

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2015, 12:45 AM »
I don't think there's a shortage of pike in lake Champlain... I agree that regulations are put into place for a reason. And as long as you follow these regulations then your good. He's just jealous.
Agree X2 ignore the naysayer! Had the same kind of day on Thursday and Friday the pike bite is on! We were set up just east of you guys on Friday when you rolled in. Congratulations!

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 16, 2015, 06:24 AM »
Looks like you had a great day!
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 16, 2015, 06:42 AM »
now that is an AMAZING pike day... now i could say something about the fish you kept but in all honesty is would be out of jealousy of you catching all those nice pike hahaha great job i am envious but very happy for you.
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 16, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Well done!

Just ignore the haters .... next thing someone will get software on their PC that measures the fish and call you out for keeping shorts or something stupid like that.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:00 AM »
Congrats on a huge haul.  What did your biggest pike weigh?  That thing is HUGE!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 16, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I gotta say im jealous!  Awesome fish!

Offline johnrielly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:11 AM »
what was the biggest?

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 16, 2015, 10:38 AM »
biggest was 14 pounds 38 inches if i remember correctly

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:20 AM »
Catch 'em and eat 'em!
That's an impressive catch.  A lot of food, right there!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #56 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:20 AM »
PIKE! Its whats for dinner!  ;D

Epic catch indeed, congrats. Lots of good eats right there  :tipup:

Offline johnrielly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:28 AM »
congrats.. I wouldnt mind catching those.. Im too cheap to fork out the bait $ though.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Mar 16, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Holy crap man! Nice job! Be careful you don't give yourself mercury poisoning there!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Mar 16, 2015, 01:27 PM »
congrats.. I wouldnt mind catching those.. Im too cheap to fork out the bait $ though.

Aren't the XL like $2 or $3 a piece?????  Depending on how many of you there are and how many baits were used, you're looking at a very expensive outting, haha.  Guess it's why I don't fish for them much.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.