The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Etiquette?  (Read 9882 times)

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Fishing Etiquette?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 27, 2012, 02:58 AM »
It was friendlier back then when the younger people had more respect for every one.

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:17 AM »
It was friendlier back then when the younger people had more respect for every one.
:woot: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

No doubt, the younger generations are different in alot of ways. I blame their parents. But it could be "societies fault", for taking away the parents belts and the right to use them?  ;)

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:26 AM »
But guys who catch fish are on fish and CATCHING fish, and could care less if someone struggling moves in on them! We are going to limit out, go home and fillet, lurk a little, then change species and lakes and go back out catching again!  ;) But tommorrow comes and "the spot' from yesterday is barricaded off by the guy struggling....because he got there first, and it's HIS SPOT NOW.... ::) no problem...I can catch fish in his old area anyway...or not, then I'm off to a different spot, different lake, different species..different crowd!    ;D That crowd has a guy like the last crowd also.... ::)  My spot, My fish.You are crowding me....blah blah blah.... ;D

Some people are just this way?  @)

When/if they bother me...I just leave..AND GO FISHING!  ;D

If it's that easy to get you to leave.....I want to know what color jacket you wear.  I'll be the guy that fishes your hole and watches you walk away silently.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:58 AM »
If it's that easy to get you to leave.....I want to know what color jacket you wear.  I'll be the guy that fishes your hole and watches you walk away silently.
Black arctic armour... ;D

"When/if you bother me"

It will take more than you yelling at me , or complaining, or acting a fool, to get me to leave because I'm "bothered" by your actions!   ;) Jumping in my old holes doesn't bother me either...when I stand up from one, I'm usually done with it for the day anyway!  @) If you are  quietly tolerant of me jigging through "YOUR AREA" ::)...you might notice I'm in and out, catch my fish or not, and off somewhere else in short time, leaving behind nothing but tracks and a bunch of holes for you to use without drilling! If you are really friendly, and just say "hello, how are they biting"..you might gain a bunch of info..ice conditions and biting action on places all over the state, end up with a phone # and a great new fishing friend?  :-\ Or if you are insistent on just being a loud mouth jerk about me being on a public lake doing my own thing..I might just humor myself about making sure I follow you around..just so YOU ARE BOTHERED about my presence!  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #64 on: Feb 27, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Champlain is def. big enough to give people plenty of room, say 50 yds or so, even on it's smaller bays.  I try to not set up on people and respect their space.  Not everyone goes fishing for the company.  I have a people job where I have to be on, and enjoy the solitude.  A greeting and a "hey, mind if I set up nearby?" goes a long way.  When people ask me, I say "It's a public lake, but I like solitude" and it gets the message across.  Fishing a hole you didn't drill makes you a straight up arsehole, unless it's like, 2 days old, noone's around and you spud it open.

Same goes for streams, If I can see someone, I'm crowding them.  Leapfrogging up or downstream is acceptable. 
Big rivers, 50-100 yds.
Boats: 100 yards.   
This is how my grandfather and father taught me.  Maybe part of the problem is noone ever taught these crowders.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:39 AM »
Champlain is def. big enough to give people plenty of room, say 50 yds or so, even on it's smaller bays.  I try to not set up on people and respect their space.  Not everyone goes fishing for the company.  I have a people job where I have to be on, and enjoy the solitude.  A greeting and a "hey, mind if I set up nearby?" goes a long way.  When people ask me, I say "It's a public lake, but I like solitude" and it gets the message across.  Fishing a hole you didn't drill makes you a straight up arsehole, unless it's like, 2 days old, noone's around and you spud it open.

Same goes for streams, If I can see someone, I'm crowding them.  Leapfrogging up or downstream is acceptable. 
Big rivers, 50-100 yds.
This is how my grandfather and father taught me.  Maybe part of the problem is noone ever taught these crowders.
:thumbsup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #66 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:39 AM »
Here is a picture of 30 groups of strangers, over 60 people, all fishing the same 150 yard stretch...WITH THE ONLY PROBLEM OUT THERE IS ONE GUY WHO THINKS THIS IS HIS SECRET SPOT...... :P :P :P Are you this guy?  :P :P :P

(Image removed from quote.)

that looks like one of my lake , and there are lots of guys that fish there that have to move in cause the are followers and never will be leaders , we have small cities form on this lake but the guys that put there time in don't need to fish like that , even when i stop to talk to someone i park my sled at least a 100' away and walk over but that is just me

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:31 AM »
that looks like one of my lake , and there are lots of guys that fish there that have to move in cause the are followers and never will be leaders , we have small cities form on this lake but the guys that put there time in don't need to fish like that , even when i stop to talk to someone i park my sled at least a 100' away and walk over but that is just me
100 feet away is inside the 50 yard "zone" of private water these guys want to reserve! But I do the same thing when on my sled. It's polite.  ;) ;D Actually, on Big Bay where that picture was taken..if you set up in one hole and sit there all day..you won't do as well as the guys who hop around.  ;) But the guys who fish it everyday drill all their own holes;) Some guys will drill them in a SMALL area they are working..(like maybe 60 feet diameter?) Others, like me, will drill one hole, fish it, stand up , move, drill another, and never stop! Stick and move, run and gun ! If I see a guy doing well 100 yards away, and I'm not getting my fish..I will move towards him..but I will NEVER move into his small area of holes I can see he is working!  ;) But the fishermen out there don't try to reserve 300' diameter circles either!  :o :wacko: :wacko: The only problem I have seen is people coming out there without augers..and dumping into holes another guy has drilled..That is just rude. And we will let those people know it! Other than that, it's really quiet , everybody is there just to fish..you can sit in that crowd all week and be surprised how much solitude you get in a crowd..How little talking is going on..but on the weekends a different crowd shows up.  ;)  They can't catch fish...they are there to party and be loud...they bring their kids and dogs and tip-ups...they are loud. But even these guys don't start yelling at others for someone fishing "in their area"..or think they own a piece of public lake for while they are there?  ;D
Respect goes both ways!  ;) Some people just want to believe respect means "stay away ".   Others just want to be respected, be left alone to do their own thing without being harassed by loud mouths thinking they own the lake, or the spot... There's alot of "mind your own business" missing nowadays. What ever happened to "Don't speak, without being spoken to?" Personally I believe it's rude to go up to a shanty and talk to the guy sheltered up inside. But if that guy looks out his window, sees me fishing through the area, AND WANTS TO TALK TO ME..he will come out and do so? Otherwise he has his privacy inside that shanty.
Everybody needs personal space. If I close my eyes, hold my fishing rod out, spin around and NOT HIT ANYBODY..... I have enough of it!  ;D

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:34 AM »
100 feet away is inside the 50 yard "zone" of private water these guys want to reserve! But I do the same thing when on my sled. It's polite.  ;) ;D Actually, on Big Bay where that picture was taken..if you set up in one hole and sit there all day..you won't do as well as the guys who hop around.  ;) But the guys who fish it everyday drill all their own holes;) Some guys will drill them in a SMALL area they are working..(like maybe 60 feet diameter?) Others, like me, will drill one hole, fish it, stand up , move, drill another, and never stop! Stick and move, run and gun ! If I see a guy doing well 100 yards away, and I'm not getting my fish..I will move towards him..but I will NEVER move into his small area of holes I can see he is working!  ;) But the fishermen out there don't try to reserve 300' diameter circles either!  :o :wacko: :wacko: The only problem I have seen is people coming out there without augers..and dumping into holes another guy has drilled..That is just rude. And we will let those people know it! Other than that, it's really quiet , everybody is there just to fish..you can sit in that crowd all week and be surprised how much solitude you get in a crowd..How little talking is going on..but on the weekends a different crowd shows up.  ;)  They can't catch fish...they are there to party and be loud...they bring their kids and dogs and tip-ups...they are loud. But even these guys don't start yelling at others for someone fishing "in their area"..or think they own a piece of public lake for while they are there?  ;D
Respect goes both ways!  ;) Some people just want to believe respect means "stay away ".   Others just want to be respected, be left alone to do their own thing without being harassed by loud mouths thinking they own the lake, or the spot... There's alot of "mind your own business" missing nowadays. What ever happened to "Don't speak, without being spoken to?" Personally I believe it's rude to go up to a shanty and talk to the guy sheltered up inside. But if that guy looks out his window, sees me fishing through the area, AND WANTS TO TALK TO ME..he will come out and do so? Otherwise he has his privacy inside that shanty.
Everybody needs personal space. If I close my eyes, hold my fishing rod out, spin around and NOT HIT ANYBODY..... I have enough of it!  ;D
I envy you Your tolerance Raate. Unless I am actually fishing with a partner - I - like Vermonner - need my solitude. I worked in a job for over 30 yrs. where I had to be available for a 12 hour shift and for 12 of those 30 yrs. I worked 7 days a week 12. hrs a day. I always try to get as far from the crowd as possible, even though it costs me some fish at times. I will never crowd another person and am never rude unless someone is rude to me first. If someone moves close enough to irritate me with their antics - I just quietly pack up and move. My first time on the ice this year -  I set up too close to a public access I guess, and not long after I started fishing, they came out with a wheeler with a blade on it and cleared the snow off a long strip and started running drags with snow machines with great big - loud -  smelly engines literally right next to me. I just packed up and left - immediately.
  But, to be able to fish peacefully in the space you describe - you are truly amazing!!! 
Warren

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:56 AM »
     From an  Old Musket to all young guns. All's  us old timers are asking for is a little respect .And in most cases I think you will find you will get back a life time of knowledge and tricks of the trade. I'd say that's a pretty fair trade.Remember young and old our kids and grandkid's are watching.PS I was brought up to turn the other cheek but now when disrespected the only cheek I turn is the one when I pass gas. :icefish: 

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:57 AM »

Big rivers, 50-100 yds.

Exactly my feelings.  I work in a office dealing with people all week.  When I go out on the ice....I'm not going there to socialize.  I go to catch fish, reflect, think, and enjoy the outdoors.
The "hole poachers" weren't coming in on us to socialize.  They were coming in purely because they saw us catching fish.  That's pretty low in by book.

Watch the seagulls when they are eating a fish that was left on the ice.  Even they know how to wait their turn.  One gull will peck away at a fish, while the others lay in wait for that bird to finish.  Then when the first bird is finished and leaves...the others move in. 

Birds can figure it out.....but apparently some people can't.    :icefish:
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #71 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:24 AM »
They were coming in purely because they saw us catching fish.  That's pretty low in by book.
Hunker over bucket, take fish off hook in bucket very subtly, never yell 'fish on' and rebait and redrop smoothly.  Never advertise.  I find if I turn my back to the crowd, put my fish bucket in front and bat bucket between my feet, kind of all in a line that I can block the view of with my back and set and reel calmly, they just don't really see it.  Overhead hooksets and dancing around the hole (I'm not saying you're doing this) is a sure-fire fool magnet.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:03 AM »
Hunker over bucket, take fish off hook in bucket very subtly, never yell 'fish on' and rebait and redrop smoothly.  Never advertise.  I find if I turn my back to the crowd, put my fish bucket in front and bat bucket between my feet, kind of all in a line that I can block the view of with my back and set and reel calmly, they just don't really see it.  Overhead hooksets and dancing around the hole (I'm not saying you're doing this) is a sure-fire fool magnet.

My buddy was doing a great job of hiding his white perch massacre by reeling them up calmly immediately putting the fish against his leg facing away from everyone and then dropping it straight in the bucket.  Worked great but after 50 fish it looked like he had peed his pants and he reeked of fish slime!

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 28, 2012, 02:38 PM »

It's hard to hide when you're slaying fish....one right after another.  I always try to position my sled, bucket, flasher, and myself strategically to hide the fish.....especially if I catch a crappie.  Something about those crappie makes people go crazy.  I have a lid on my bucket which has tipped people off to my success when I have to keep taking the lid off to drop a fish......

This past weekend I got wise and brought a second bucket with no lid.  I put my fish directly into the open bucket, whilst sitting on my "real" bucket with the lid.  When I had about a dozen fish in the "decoy" bucket, I would discreetly dump them into the "real" bucket. 

At around ten on Sunday, my "real" bucket was almost full, and safely covered.  Two guys came over to investigate and asked how they were biting.  "Not too good", I said whilst sitting calmly on the "real" bucket.  "I've been here all day and have only managed about a dozen fish."  They glanced over at my "decoy" bucket and shook their heads.  They were gone 20 minutes later, and I was LOVING IT!  Peace and quiet and lot's of fish!   :icefish:
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:38 PM »
sounds kinda greedy to lie tho...i dont like being crowded either but also like to help people out

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #75 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:55 PM »
:woot: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

No doubt, the younger generations are different in alot of ways. I blame their parents. But it could be "societies fault", for taking away the parents belts and the right to use them?  ;)
I agree parents are afraid to punish their kids for fear that a teacher or someone else finds out they would turn them in for child abuse, therefore the kids get away w/everything, thus no discipline, no respect for others. I got the belt when needed & I gave my kids the belt when needed & they turned out to be good fishermen & respectfull of everyone out on the ice.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:58 PM »
sounds kinda greedy to lie tho...i dont like being crowded either but also like to help people out

I disagree.  Maybe it's my conservative values at work, but I like to think I worked for my fish.  When I see or hear people that have done real well, I DON'T ask them where they caught their fish.  I DON'T ask for 2 reasons....1) I think it's rude and lazy and 2) the answer (if they do answer) will probably not be the truth....so why bother? 

I feel zero obligation to help people catch fish.  I'm NOT a guide.  I don't make a living putting people on fish.  I work hard all week and like to enjoy a little success on the weekends....wether it's on the ice or in the woods.  One thing I learned is that if you have a great spot to hunt deer or a real good place to fish.....keep it in your close circle of friends........friends that also find success and share it with you.  But for pete's sake don't start running it to the general public! 

I don't want to sound arrogant but there are a lot of guys out there that struggle.....and they usually have a bunch of friends that struggle.  If I give up my spot to one struggling guy......even if I swear him to secrecy......I guarantee he won't be able to control himself and he'll start bragging to all his struggling buddies.  That's how "go to" spots become  crowded spots to avoid.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:03 PM »
You can tell the real vermonters on this post, they go to the lake for peace and quiet and to catch a few fish. They and their family and friends have been fishing for a long time, gaining knowlege and learning the lake. They're willing to be sociable and help someone in need of help, but don't suffer fools well. They don't go ice fishing, fishing or hunting to be in a crowd and have a party. The rest of you aren't going to change us with your bs that the lake is not private property. Have some respect and don't crowd us! If we wanted to be in a crowd we'd move to N.Y., Ma., or P.Q.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:44 PM »
You can tell the real vermonters on this post, they go to the lake for peace and quiet and to catch a few fish. They and their family and friends have been fishing for a long time, gaining knowlege and learning the lake. They're willing to be sociable and help someone in need of help, but don't suffer fools well. They don't go ice fishing, fishing or hunting to be in a crowd and have a party. The rest of you aren't going to change us with your bs that the lake is not private property. Have some respect and don't crowd us! If we wanted to be in a crowd we'd move to N.Y., Ma., or P.Q.

:clap:
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:56 AM »
Trout how can one day in this post you say that you don't mind sharing a hot spot then the next day post how you lied to a couple guys who were decent and polite to you?  Seems that you are a greedy person who wants to be the one bragging about all the fish you catch to your friends.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:39 AM »
Trout how can one day in this post you say that you don't mind sharing a hot spot then the next day post how you lied to a couple guys who were decent and polite to you?  Seems that you are a greedy person who wants to be the one bragging about all the fish you catch to your friends.

When did I say I don't mind sharing a hot spot?  These 2 fellas dragged their sled right up to me.  I just wasn't in the mood for company on Sunday.  I was fishing alone and preferred it to stay that way.  Besides, they were smoking cigs, and I can't stand the smell of cigarettes when I'm trying to enjoy the outdoors.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:00 AM »
I really don't think there is any today.I punch 20 holes or more to start with and hole hop.Many slow days I'll leave the good fish Gills and crappies at the productive holes and return to get another good fish or two out of them after a rest. People just love to fish my holes,I'll tell them there my holes and to please get your lazy a-- and cut your own.Some guys get it but there always one guy that will tell you that you don't own the holes or the lake. The best was a few years back 3 polish guys surrounded me and stick there 5 rods a piece in every hole I was getting fish out of.After they use up all my hot holes I packed it up and moved a 100 yards or so and cut 2 holes in a area the I pounded them a few days earlier. Well the fish gods where smiling,I just spanked a quick 30 giant bulls in the 9 inch range and mixed in 6 nice slabs,I had my back to them and they didn't see a thing,after picking( a tough day) and putting up with that crap for 4 hours I wished I would have moved a long time ago.

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:44 AM »
     From an  Old Musket to all young guns. All's  us old timers are asking for is a little respect .And in most cases I think you will find you will get back a life time of knowledge and tricks of the trade. I'd say that's a pretty fair trade.Remember young and old our kids and grandkid's are watching.PS I was brought up to turn the other cheek but now when disrespected the only cheek I turn is the one when I pass gas. :icefish:
:clap:

Offline ice dog Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:06 AM »
If Trout were greedy, he'd be the one swarming in on you when your catching them!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.