The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Big slammer perch are Back at lake bomoseen  (Read 13727 times)

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The Big slammer perch are Back at lake bomoseen
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:14 PM »
booner can you move your foot i want to drill a hole  ;D                            andrew

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:30 AM »
so who is fishing Sunday on Bomo with me ???  ;D
In a boat...?  ;)

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:22 PM »
the ice is fine fished there today, an ice cube 7 miles long wont melt overnite

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #63 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:45 PM »
the ice is fine fished there today, an ice cube 7 miles long wont melt overnite
That's true (so far, I've fished every weekend this year)... but the warm weather & rain does make the edges, old holes, & thin spots more noticeable  ::)

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:56 PM »
capt. joe with 2,500 vews there might be alot more than you want .

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #65 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:04 PM »
perchslayer .. so is that bad thing.. that i have gotten so many views ?? Why do they limit the Views on here? So what does that mean? help me out.. i dint realize that this topic would be so popular.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Quackslapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Hey there... I'm new to this place so I figured I should take a second to say hi before I ask for info... I was introduced to ice fishing about the time I was old enough to walk on the ice with my father... I fished off and on all my life (I'm 38)... And I live in Proctor... So there is the quick story... I'm sure there is a more appropriate place for introductions so if that is the case my apologies...

I'm wondering what the current ice thickness is in front of cedar mountain and by the green dump... I was hearing rumours that Lake Hortonia lost a couple inches of ice around the time the shanty went through... I had heard that there was about 4 inches solid at the green dump a week ago but i was wondering what it was like over there now... I'm going fishing somewhere tomorrow just not sure where...

I've been over to Burr Pond a couple times... I was over there on Saturday and all I can say is be careful... Beside the enlargement of holes over there someone must have had a bait box they moved... About 10 inches of ice everywhere I went but last weeks rain opened the hole I'm talking about to a 3x5 ft thin spot that had a 1/4 skim on it... Add a dusting of snow and no real cold and you may find yourself in the middle of a Polar Bear Club audition... Not good...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #67 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:34 PM »
perchslayer .. so is that bad thing.. that i have gotten so many views ?? Why do they limit the Views on here? So what does that mean? help me out.. i dint realize that this topic would be so popular.
'
i think what he's getting at is that a number of lakes have suffered from being "blown up" on ice shanty, especially small ones, and that at 2700 views, you are probably reaching more of an audience than you expected. Having joined in December, you haven't realized the negative consequences that sometimes happen from publicizing a certain bite.

One must applaud you though, you are certainly making sure that people have productive options....Speaking  of which, what happened to the perch that they weren't in such numbers in previous years?

Offline vtfisher49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:03 PM »
what happened to the perch,  bigredonice,  is this guy capt joe moved here a couple two or three years ago....before he moved here we were all content to privately caught fine dinners of yellow bellies and not spread it over the worldwide web.....and the nuggies stuff came via ice men tv show....and its to bad this spot will prob get burnt....the weekday crew is already seeing small sized average....

Offline Fowlhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:31 PM »
I have seen this same thing happen on smaller ponds up north. It can happen here but it can happen just as easily by word of mouth. The problem comes when the guys who fish for money find out about a place with big perch and leave with a limit of two a day it will not take long before the fishing suffers. I think if you have a good little spot you best keep your mouth shut because before long you will have a lot of company and no fish. 

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:32 PM »
vtfisher49.. i have lived and fished here in the rutland county area all my life so i know these lake very well. if you also read in earlier post on here. i snorkel and scuba dive bomoseen and Champlain when ever i can . so i know there is a very healthy perch population in lake Bomoseen . So if i can help few local fisherman find and catch better fish , then so be it , as you can tell i am not a greedy person and i like to share. thanks
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:48 PM »
vtfisher49.. i have lived and fished here in the rutland county area all my life so i know these lake very well. if you also read in earlier post on here. i snorkel and scuba dive bomoseen and Champlain when ever i can . so i know there is a very healthy perch population in lake Bomoseen . So if i can help few local fisherman find and catch better fish , then so be it , as you can tell i am not a greedy person and i like to share. thanks
But again, Capt. Joe, you have missed the point that people all through this thread have been trying to convey to you. You keep saying, if you can help a few local fishermen......which is all well and good if you're yakin' at the bait shop or the barber shop, but this is the World Wide Web!! Thus, 2700 HITS!!! The "local" fishermen aren't the majority of those hits.  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline vtfisher49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:02 PM »
 ;)exactly fishnmachine....that point area is a landmine of holes already

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:09 PM »
i was joking with capt. joe .  there i no way you could hurt the population of perch with a rod and reel or on tipups . every one who buys a liscence can catch 50 a day if they are luckey it rerely hapens there . cant everyone just have fun catching fish and sharing info on catching fish   :) 

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:35 PM »
fowlhook this is a free country people can catch fish eat or sell if they want and actualy i fish there alot and there has been les fishermen out there than the past couple years and the fish are running small because they are males

Offline Quackslapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:38 PM »
But again, Capt. Joe, you have missed the point that people all through this thread have been trying to convey to you. You keep saying, if you can help a few local fishermen......which is all well and good if you're yakin' at the bait shop or the barber shop, but this is the World Wide Web!! Thus, 2700 HITS!!! The "local" fishermen aren't the majority of those hits.  :tipup:

And how do you know that? There are over 70 replies on here. Every time someone checks back on a post to the subject it's another hit. I look at it a couple times a day just to keep up to date on what the lake is doing... Get a couple people doing that everyday and it adds up quickly. Plus isn't this site about helping other fishermen?

Offline Fowlhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:53 PM »
fowlhook this is a free country people can catch fish eat or sell if they want and actualy i fish there alot and there has been les fishermen out there than the past couple years and the fish are running small because they are males

perchslayer i'm not talking about Bomo. I have never fished it my life and since it is the largest lake in Vermont I don't think that fishermen with a rod and reel can do that much damage. However I have seen in smaller lakes and pond witha population of good perch the word gets out and before you know it the commercial fishermen arer out in force and it doesn't take long before the good perch are gone. I do agree that we live in a free contry but just because something is legal doesn't make it right.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Everyone is going to have their own therios and beliefs. So lets stop all this fighting and lets go FISHING!!

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:53 PM »
I've read this post a at least a half dozen times just for pure entertainment.  Yet this is my first post.  Well, that's a good 7 views or so right there.  I have been there twice in a boat but have no desire to drive there to ice fish.   

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:15 AM »
vtfisher49..i snorkel and scuba dive bomoseen and Champlain when ever i can . so i know there is a very healthy perch population in lake Bomoseen .

I'm sorry captain Joe, I really like the information you gave out don't get me wrong! But, by saying you know there is a healthy population of perch in bomo because you've snorkled or scuba dived there is asinine. You can't see all the fish in the lake or make a reasonable estimation just by looking in the water. I like the information but I hope the "mob" doesn't over fish the area!

Offline BillJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:49 AM »
50 perch limit times 2700.... ::) ::) ::) ::)

there are no 'secret' spots and all water gets hit by someone, but causing a mob to hit one waterbody is pure foolishness. Big Red On Ice is known far and wide for catching jumbo perch yet he has never , to my reading on the archives, ever started a mob pouring onto one water body to pound it to death.

"captain" Joe I assume you are a licensed Master Mariner? or are you calling yourself Captain as many of these skippers of private boats call themselves without actually being licensed Master Mariners?

I ask because in all my many years of experience I have found outside of bar rooms the most attention seeking braggarts are always those who  tag themselves as "captains" and "outfitters", and their advice and helpfulness has never been found by myself to stem from any real desire to be helpful but more to draw attention to themselves. Bar rooms, gun shops and any political office seems to attract these types.

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Sounds like some people are just upset that they cant seem to catch them even though they were told exactly where to go and what to use. I grew up in Maine where we threw the perch up in the road to listen to the cars and trucks run them over. Since moving to Vermont I've found they are good eating fish and dont throw them in the road anymore. Perch grow fast and they will never clean the lake out.... STOP YOUR WHINNING!!! ::)

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:15 PM »
50 perch limit times 2700.... ::) ::) ::) ::)

there are no 'secret' spots and all water gets hit by someone, but causing a mob to hit one waterbody is pure foolishness. Big Red On Ice is known far and wide for catching jumbo perch yet he has never , to my reading on the archives, ever started a mob pouring onto one water body to pound it to death.

"captain" Joe I assume you are a licensed Master Mariner? or are you calling yourself Captain as many of these skippers of private boats call themselves without actually being licensed Master Mariners?

I ask because in all my many years of experience I have found outside of bar rooms the most attention seeking braggarts are always those who  tag themselves as "captains" and "outfitters", and their advice and helpfulness has never been found by myself to stem from any real desire to be helpful but more to draw attention to themselves. Bar rooms, gun shops and any political office seems to attract these types.

So what if he isnt a Master Mariner? If it bothers you that bad dont read the post.

Offline Formula1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:44 AM »
Hopefully the money fisherman don't clean the perch up like they did in other local lakes

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #84 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Well now, this topic as been real interesting...  :whistle:

So I was wondering, can anyone tell me what the heck the number of topic views has to do with anything??  Its not like that's the number of people that have read it... {And over the last 10 years Bomoseen has gone from a full lake of people every day, to a 95% empty lake every day}  Anyways, I know I've read/checked this topic everyday (sometimes twice a day) since it started on Jan 23rd... So I've checked it 13 times (or more); and its been an amusing read at times  ;D  Anyways, easy math would indicate 3,200/13 = 246 people at most  :-\ (and I'll bet even that's a stretch)... So why don't we go back to the good old sharing of fish stories, good times, knowledge, helpful tips, and general camaraderie...

Peace Out  ;D

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:59 PM »
To start, I want to say I don't fish Bomo so this post isn't sour grapes. That being said I salt water fish alot and read as many forums about cape cod fishing as i can. They are all very helpful with great people on them that want to help you catch more fish. However, if anyone ever posted about a specific spot like the bomo post you'd be thrown of the forum. They call it spot burning.  You can send a shout out for a pm with help wanted for spot locations and you'll usually get replies if they think you are a serious ethical fisherman.
When I was a teenager I fished Shelburn pond...no more...when my kids were little I fished colchester pond...no more....will bomo be next?
Captain I admire your intent! I love to see a fisherman help out some one on the ice, especially a rookie! That's just a smart way to keep our sport going, but broadcasting a specific spot to over 3200 people is a quick way to kill a lake. That's just my humble opinion. Thanks for listening.

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:21 PM »
To start, I want to say I don't fish Bomo so this post isn't sour grapes. That being said I salt water fish alot and read as many forums about cape cod fishing as i can. They are all very helpful with great people on them that want to help you catch more fish. However, if anyone ever posted about a specific spot like the bomo post you'd be thrown of the forum. They call it spot burning.  You can send a shout out for a pm with help wanted for spot locations and you'll usually get replies if they think you are a serious ethical fisherman.
When I was a teenager I fished Shelburn pond...no more...when my kids were little I fished colchester pond...no more....will bomo be next?
Captain I admire your intent! I love to see a fisherman help out some one on the ice, especially a rookie! That's just a smart way to keep our sport going, but broadcasting a specific spot to over 3200 people is a quick way to kill a lake. That's just my humble opinion. Thanks for listening.

I'd be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 people who fish that spot and dont catch slabbers wont go back. Just because someone tells you where to fish doesnt mean the fish are going to jump out of the hole for you. Do you really think that every view to this post is someone from VT? Do you think that all 3200 people are within fishing distance? 

Shelburne pond and colchester pond are no comparison in size and  no comparison in the numbers of fish.

Up to 3307 now dammit theres another 5350 huge perch gone ::)

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Shelburn and Colchester used to have the densest population of pike in Vt. And, perhaps the notheast, they drew fishermen from N.Y, Ma., Ct.,R.I and N.H. (I saw the license plates)when the word got out. And then the pike were gone. You're next reply will be slabber perch aren't as rare as pike. Right now you're right but we're heading in that direction.

Offline fishysmell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Shelburn and Colchester used to have the densest population of pike in Vt. And, perhaps the notheast, they drew fishermen from N.Y, Ma., Ct.,R.I and N.H. (I saw the license plates)when the word got out. And then the pike were gone. You're next reply will be slabber perch aren't as rare as pike. Right now you're right but we're heading in that direction.

Maybe there should be a law stating you can only keep 5 perch over 12 inches out of a 50 fish limit on these all vermont lakes.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:54 PM »
That may be a good idea fishysmell and I'd like to see a one pike per day limit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.