Author Topic: Ice Fishing - 2 different paradigms according to my brother  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My brother remarked that there are now 2 kinds of ice fishing:
1. It is a great cover for going out and drinking with your friends. (fish traps)
2. With the right equipment, it is actually an interactive fishing video game where you get a fish when you win.(underwater camera and Livescope)

35 years ago, my brother and I suffered to ice fish at -30 without shanty or heater. He just visited me and ice fished for the first time since high school with REAL TECH. Awesome!!!

Veritas Odium Parit

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishing - 2 different paradigms according to my brother
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Yep, 20 years ago I did the same thing, no shack no electronics, stared at a bobber all day, hardly any fish.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Had the pleasure today of fishing in a spot near a guy in his 70’s who still goes about it old school for lake trout. Spudded his hole and used Mackinaw sticks to jig 140’ down. No shelter, no auger, no electronics. Was the only guy amongst us who got any bites at all.

He did ask if I had been marking any cisco as I was leaving the ice and I told him indeed I had anywhere from 60’ to 80’ down. I have a feeling he’d of found them anyway...

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Mobility was limited 30+ years ago because we used to set-up the windbreak and fish behind it.  All holes were studded and we used old paint cans as charcoal stoves.   We did catch a lot of fish if we set-up over them.  Today I just flip open and go and hole drilling is a snap.  Electronics tells me whether I stay of move.   But those were some good old days.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:02 PM »
my buds and I have so-called 'pop-ups' but rarely use them. Being outside allows us to move around---a real PITA once you set up a 'pop-up'. We have FFs but their primary purpose, apart from finding the water depth, is to keep the fisherman entertained so he doesn't get bored and go home.  We catch more fish because we hang around longer with a FF!! ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Yep, there’s the ones that treat it as a day out camping, then there’s the people that actively fish. The electronics make the active fishing part to a whole different game.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 10:41 AM »
And had to walk through 4' of snow uphill both ways back then.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:24 AM »
And had to walk through 4' of snow uphill both ways back then.

Yup had to hand spin a SPOON auger thru 30" of hard ice every time! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.