The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rock Lake and Wheatland #1  (Read 3819 times)

Offline tomb

• IceShanty Rookie
Rock Lake and Wheatland #1
« on: Jan 06, 2007, 07:19 PM »
     I was wondering if anyone has fished Rock Lake? I have a wyoming fishing guide from 01' that says it has walleye and crappie, also says #1 has walleye. I have never been to either one, wondering if it would be worth the drive.  ???
Matt

Offline WyoZac

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rock Lake and Wheatland #1
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2007, 12:26 AM »
I'm not sure what the ice conditions are, but they do have some decent walleye. If you go to Rock Lake try fishing about 40yards straight north of the pipe that goes into the lake on the south side of the lake. Thats were Ive seen most people catch walleyes. #1 is usually good around the outlet, a little deeper water. I'll try to drive out there tomorrow and see what the ice is like.
Zac

Offline WyoZac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2007, 12:56 PM »
There is ice covering most of both lakes but there are open patches on both. Didn't see any holes anywere. Doesn't look fishable yet.  :(
Zac

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2007, 12:17 PM »
I'm not sure what the ice conditions are, but they do have some decent walleye. If you go to Rock Lake try fishing about 40yards straight north of the pipe that goes into the lake on the south side of the lake. Thats were Ive seen most people catch walleyes. #1 is usually good around the outlet, a little deeper water. I'll try to drive out there tomorrow and see what the ice is like.

wyoming g&f netted rock lake and cought a 8.8 lbs. 29" walleye this year and they put it back so their are some very big fish in thier if you can catch them. I ahve also seen people catch them off the damn on the east side of the lake.

on #1 i have had the best luck over by the dam on the east side for walleye.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2007, 12:32 PM »
Is Rock Lake and Festo Lake the same lake?

Festo Lake tiger muskie This lake was evaluated in June using electro f i s h i n g
and gillnetting by WGFD.
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Fish/Newsletters/Laramie/06LaramieAnglerNewsletter.pdf

Their not say how long or how much it weight though.

Good Ice Good Fishing

Ben
benwyo

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2007, 12:42 PM »

Festo Lake tiger muskie This lake was evaluated in June using electro f i s h i n g
and gillnetting by WGFD.
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Fish/Newsletters/Laramie/06LaramieAnglerNewsletter.pdf

Good Ice Good Fishing

Ben
benwyo

No they are not the same lake rock lake is south west of wheatland by #1 and festo is north west of wheatland. You can catch some monster tiger's of of festo my grandfather cought a 43 incher out of it a couple of years ago.

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2007, 01:39 PM »

and gillnetting by WGFD.

Good Ice Good Fishing

Ben
benwyo

you can catch perch at festo too.

Offline tomb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2007, 12:55 AM »
      Good to know. With the cold weather coming back this weekend I will be checking both lakes out, and maybe Glendo too. ;D
Matt

Offline WyoZac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:04 PM »
looked at festo today, ice looked horrible. open spots everywere and a lot of water on the ice :) The geese were loving it though.
Zac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.