The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Meeboerites! Enlighten the Ignorant....  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Wyo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
Meeboerites! Enlighten the Ignorant....
« on: Jan 02, 2007, 08:21 PM »
 ???  Spent five hours at Meeboer today; no fish seen.  I've given Meeboer a shot at least once a winter for the past several hard water seasons, and am always skunked.  I've had good luck at most other Plains Lakes, but this one has always confounded me.  Would someone with some Meeboer experience help me out?  Are their any deep spots or other interesting features?  ....Any advice way-appreciated.  Thanks.
ICE IS NICE...

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
Re: Meeboerites! Enlighten the Ignorant....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 09:18 AM »
never ice-fished it while i lived there, but there used to be a thriving population of 18-20 inch 'bows that would tear a new chenobyl ant on the fly rod into shreds...  maybe there was a winterkill since.  i do know that some woman caught some huge rainbow (10-20 ibs???) on powerbait doe from a boat.  anybody heard about that?  it was at least 8-10 years ago...

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2007, 07:12 PM »
never ice-fished it while i lived there, but there used to be a thriving population of 18-20 inch 'bows that would tear a new chenobyl ant on the fly rod into shreds...  maybe there was a winterkill since.  i do know that some woman caught some huge rainbow (10-20 ibs???) on powerbait doe from a boat.  anybody heard about that?  it was at least 8-10 years ago...

I never heard about the woman getting the bows 10-20lbs and i know quite of few people who live in laramie and fish, iam sure they would of told me about it, or maybe they just missed it.

Offline sportsman234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2007, 04:07 PM »
???  Spent five hours at Meeboer today; no fish seen.  I've given Meeboer a shot at least once a winter for the past several hard water seasons, and am always skunked.  I've had good luck at most other Plains Lakes, but this one has always confounded me.  Would someone with some Meeboer experience help me out?  Are their any deep spots or other interesting features?  ....Any advice way-appreciated.  Thanks.

The deepest spot is straight out from the boat ramp towards the middle of the lake and it is only around 10 feet or so.
I have not ice fished there so don't have much to offer other than that. I have heard from others it is pretty temperamental to ice fish. I was debating trying it until I read your post! But ya never know may have just been a bad day.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:35 PM »
That lady was my wives great aunt. That fish was an incredible slob. I don't think it was caught out of a boat. She is deathly afraid of the water. Imagine that.  I am sure they took pics of it, but they (her and her husband are gettin up in years), and am not sure if I could procure the pics. I don't know about 20#s , but from looking at pics, it was at least 12-13.  And yes, caught on powerbait.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:12 AM »
I fish meeboer quite a bit and always have luck, with all fish close or above 20 inches.  I like 8 fow and use crappie jigs tipped with meal worms.

Baiter
"Fish on Brother!"

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:23 AM »
i thought that for some reason you couldn't use bait there. i haven't been there for a couple of years so i definitely could be wrong.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2007, 07:30 AM »
...I am sure they took pics of it, but they (her and her husband are gettin up in years), and am not sure if I could procure the pics...
dude- give it a try for us...

Offline sportsman234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:15 AM »
i thought that for some reason you couldn't use bait there. i haven't been there for a couple of years so i definitely could be wrong.

You can use bait there...

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:01 AM »
I'd hate to think what that place would be like ice fishing without bait.  Its slow as it is.  Meeboer is a lake where patience is a must.  I haven't seen anyone have a real banner day on the ice there for the last two years, though I heard that Dec 04 was pretty hot.  Lighter lines will get you more bites, but those fish are big and feisty enough that I've had them break off my 4 lb test rig a few times.  Mind your lines too, those are some finicky fish, and often won't give you a second chance if you miss their first strike.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2007, 05:24 PM »
I also just read this in the WGFD online news letter.
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Fish/Newsletters/Laramie/06LaramieAnglerNewsletter.pdf
Go to page 11 it has the Largest fish ever captured by Fisheries Management Crew in the Laramie Region.

It say that a rainbow trout weighting 12.2 lbs was captured by the WGFD crew out of Meeboer Lake.
So it has been know for some big Rainbows....

benwyo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.