The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: CHANGE IN BOYSEN PERCH  (Read 3218 times)

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
CHANGE IN BOYSEN PERCH
« on: Dec 29, 2006, 08:35 PM »
Hey I have noticed the past couple days that the perch are alot harder to catch this year than last out of Boysen.  I see perch come up and look at my jig tipped with a minnow on my vexilar, but they stare at it and swim away.
The one thing I have noticed, the perch I am catching all have crappie minnows in them.  I am wondering if people are having the same issues or is there something else I need to try. 

???

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: CHANGE IN BOYSEN PERCH
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2006, 11:05 PM »
Rumdrinker, maybe G&F stocked a bazillion lil crappie minnows...that's gonna mess us up if they did.  ??? I mean, that's long-term good, short-term bad.  :tipup:

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Yea I also gutted one of my trout that I caught and found 8 crappie minnows in it.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Gotta wonder if that's natural re-production...can't imagine they stocked 'em.  ???

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Yea,
I would really like to see the crappie numbers pick up, I got on to them one trip last year catching about 20 of them by the islands. :tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:45 PM »
..any size to 'em? I've never caught one in Boysen.

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:50 PM »
They were all pretty decent, they were all over a pound.  Usually all the crappie I catch out of boysen are very decent.  I have caught some over 2 pounds.  They are just a hard fish to figure out in boysen.  I can catch them one day and then never catch another one until the next season, even in the summer.  I think they kinda roam just like the perch in ocean lake, but that is just my thought.

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2006, 09:22 PM »
All the ones we catch are pigs.  I've never caught any thru the ice.  Caught some 15 to 16 inchers while jigging for walleyes in the spring.  One of these days I'll have to try and target them.

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2006, 10:56 AM »
I noticed that two I went on friday afternoon and fished all night and left on sat. DEC. 30.   I only caught 2 small perch.  I had a lot look at it and go back to the bottom.   Did'nt set any hook'em and cook'em  records but I had a good time.  It was the first time for me fishing at boysen but I will be back.  thanks for the help guys.
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2007, 09:49 AM »
When we were icin Boysen last year all the bobos we caught(and we caught MANY of them) all were spittin up crappie minnows.  We are gonna be at Boysen this weekend. Hopefully we will catch some perch!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline WYOiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2007, 04:55 PM »
I fished by Birdseye this past friday and saturday hoping to get into a bunch of perch like last year, but I was only able to catch 1 trout and 2 perch.
They also had their guts stuffed with crappie minnows.
Where are all the parents to these crappies?
And is there any walleyes in Boysen at all? I've heard of a few being caught, but I'm not sure that I will believe it until I see it.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:35 PM »
 You guys are missing out last wednesday I caught around 50 or so! Sunday I had to of caught 70 at least. Between 3 of us we kept 58 jumbo's sunday, used my buddy's new aqua vu VPG some and it was too fun! My vpg arrived today, be out busting Saturday! ;D ;D
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Last year fishing boysen, a friend and I caught a bunch of perch but it was hard to hook them. We noticed a bunch of shiner minnows on the bank and I mean schools of 1000's. My friend told me that he fished Boysen Monday and had the same problem. He would run into schools and hook a couple but they were very finicky. He stated that he would pound a spoon and then dead stick it and thats when they'd hit. Ive read articles that state that those nibbles that we all feel are actually full fledged bites. Thats where the down viewing camera comes in handy. You can actually see them bite. Anyhow great luck to everyone out there and be safe. I think I will finally get to go out on Monday.

Bill Bohman

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2007, 03:12 AM »
OH YEAH!!!!!!!
Northland buckshot rattle-spoon with waxies!
GOOD LUCK
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline WYOiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:44 AM »
Where are you getting into all the perch?
I'm missing out, and am bummed out!

Offline icemonster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:29 PM »
Try jigging in about 40' of water. Your best bet is to stay mobile until you find the schools. If you see a large crowd out in the middle of the lake more than likely they into the perch.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:50 PM »
My friend told me that he fished Boysen Monday and had the same problem. He would run into schools and hook a couple but they were very finicky. He stated that he would pound a spoon and then dead stick it and thats when they'd hit. Ive read articles that state that those nibbles that we all feel are actually full fledged bites.

EVERYTHING HE SAID!!!!!!      EXACTLY!!
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2007, 10:07 PM »
 Northland buckshot rattle-spoon and waxies........and then perch-eyes or both! Trick was to jig when no fish where on the VPG, but when they show up on the graph.....hold dead still till you see a nibble.....or see your rod tip lift!! SET THE HOOK!!

OH! Forgot to add hold dead stiil till the vpg shows them on your jig, then watch rod tip...........set hook!!
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.