The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rainbow Trout  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Rainbow Trout
« on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:26 PM »
Here is another bo I caught today! C&R

Offline fish-slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go big or go home.
Re: Rainbow Trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:04 AM »
Nice fish keep them coming. ;D :o
TEAM BC

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:49 AM »
Sorry but this is getting to me again. C&R'ed a fish that you gill-handled eh? That fish is likely no longer among the living. Is it so hard to cradle a trout?

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:58 AM »
Wyoming trout are tougher than B.C. trout!!  They can take it.   Heck, most wyo fisherman would rather catch eyes anyhow.  Trout are kinda like trash fish. Like a lawyer  ;)
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:18 AM »
PGKris,
         It is evident that you lack the knowledge to handle a fish like this and you should not attempt it until someone shows you how.These fish never had a finger inside the red gill area. As long as you are very careful and absolutely and I will say it again ABSOLUTELY! do not use gloves and don't have the size fingers of ring bologna a trout can be handled like this. Both of these fish swam off it great shape.
         It's okay to pick up a walleye, Northern pike, bass even panfish this way if you are careful. So why can't a Trout. If your careful it can be done.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:26 AM »
Nice Bow,I would of put that right in the frying pan...What did he bite on?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:37 AM »
CP,
    If you go to the Wyo Froum under the topic "Rainbow afternoon" I posted a pic of some of the jigs I use.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:59 AM »
Sheesh! Another great fish by Big Ice,    :clap:   handle 'em any way you want buddy, it's your fishing license! If you'd have split him and tossed him in the pan, we'd all be there fer dinner,  ;D
                                     The ex-Lteeeeeee  :whistle:

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2006, 10:24 AM »
CP,
    If you go to the Wyo Froum under the topic "Rainbow afternoon" I posted a pic of some of the jigs I use.

Found it,nice info Thanks.... ;D

Offline sportsman234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2006, 10:25 AM »
Is that Saratoga Lake by chance?

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2006, 10:52 AM »
 ;D I agree great fish and handle them how ever you want!!!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Hanle???  Where you from,  and do you really catch many fish??? I heard you can only catch fences???
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:47 PM »
What are you talking about 4cator???

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:48 PM »
OH, thank goodness for the edit button eh  ;D

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:31 PM »
PGKris,
         It is evident that you lack the knowledge to handle a fish like this and you should not attempt it until someone shows you how.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know gilling a fish was a technique like Marmish! ::) Don't worry I won't be sticking my fingers inside the gill plate of ANY fish anytime soon unless it's already dead.

-Thoreau

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:55 PM »
PGKris
        Not everyone in this world are catch and release type of people. So why is it that those that are have to put there .02 worth in every time. big ice caught a beautiful fish on the permit he bought to do what ever he wants to do with it even if it means taking the stinking thing home and feeding the cat with it :o.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:01 PM »
4cator, 4X4Elk,You guys heading over to Boysen anytime soon? I put a depth finder on Poison Creek Bay and that sucker was only 4 feet deep in the middle where it's usually nine or better.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Well that was my feeling on the subject. I figured to head over there when the perchin got really good. Until that time, I think I be living over at our other favorite lake.  ( Plan on a big hoodoo there in a couple of weeks. ) Don't catch em all. I am still on shift.

:tipup:

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:56 PM »
ex-lt ya I will probably be going in the next few weeks to boysen but we got to do the big hoodoo with 4cator cuz we got one guy we all have to go and watch he goes by the name running dark cloud!! (you do the math on that one)

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:06 PM »
I just recieved a call from a buddy of mine that went to Boysen today and they fished Poison Creek and bew\tween 3 of them they caught two trout and a nice 21" walleye. After I get off my shift in the morning Im going to Pathfinder at Bishops point to see how the bite is.

Bill Bohman

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:55 PM »
I saw a program today on TV. It had two big shots from Gander Mt. bow hunting for moose on it. It was in Northern B.C. 60 miles from the Yukon. The outfitter let them fish this lake that never had been fished before..... Well, after one of the guys caught a 5 LB bow the GUIDE a B.C. GUIDE mind you, held up that fish EXACTLTY the way Big Ice is doing in his picture........
They do it too in B.C.

Ben

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:21 PM »
You are the man benwyo Great spot! If done right it can be a safe way to handle fish. Have you signed up for this years IS ice fishing derby?

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:31 AM »
As soon as I get back from Denver, Tuesday evening, I am leaving in about 15 minutes. Just thought I would check in real quick.

BEN

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2006, 10:33 AM »
you know, to tell you the truth, if you hold the trout under the gill plate being careful not to touch the gills, this is actually a method that ends up being easier on the health of the fish than if you were to hold it with both hands in a "cradle" where those hands strip the fish of its protective slime.

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2006, 06:10 PM »
doesn't seem to matter how you hold a fish, someone will still complain about the safety of the fish, and if you don't pick it up they'll say you fought it too long and killed it by tiring it out too much.  seems as you just can't make everyone happy.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Thats why I crack 'em on the head as soon as they hit the ice!  They cant accuse ME of Torturing them. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2006, 09:05 AM »
I personally subscribe to the 4X4Elk-man style of fishing, unless of course I don't need fish, which sometimes actually is the case..."catch 'em, filet 'em, grill 'em and eat 'em..." or something sorta like that and yes, I split them open and put them to bed as soon as they hit the ice.  ;D LT

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2006, 08:44 PM »
OK one more to clarify my position, let's pretend I have something to prove to you yanks (Hmm says me, that ought to rile em up) I don't care if you catch and kill and eat it, but for the love of God, if you're going to release it, do it GENTLY! There is a reason BC has the best fishing in the world. I don't care who you are or how good you think you are, sticking your fingers inside a fish's gill plate is STUPID!
PGK out

-Thoreau

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Hey guys, that reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw the other day...cryptic, but I think it sums up our bad attitude about nearly everything.
     "WELCOME TO WYOMING (That's the cryptic part.) NOW TAKE A WOLF AND GO HOME"  :roflmao:
                                       Theeee ex-Lteeeeeeee

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2006, 10:40 PM »
PGKris,
         Yanks! Stupid! Your not name calling shame on you. We know that BC has some of the best fishing in the world and good for you guys. It is always great to see the pic's of fish TGF an others catch. But what does that have to do with handling fish. PGKris, seriously before you are to quick to judge the way someone does something give it a try, it really can be an effective way to handle fish. I was just proud of the fish I caught and wanted to show all of my friends on the Shanty. One more thing I believe you are a teenager and maybe lacking some knowledge about the sport. Well I have been hunting and fishing for over 40 years and stupid I am not.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.