Author Topic: Where are you going to fish first?  (Read 5414 times)

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Where are you going to fish first?
« on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Just thought I'd start a new topic and get your minds on the upcommin' season ;D

Where is everyone going to start their season? Granted we have to wait for safe ice, but where are ya thinkin that will be?  ;)

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
Re: Where are you going to fish first?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:42 PM »
well I am gona head to my favorite trout pond called @#$%^&* Lake, plus the local Bass pond (Kingston) Lake

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2008, 09:52 PM »
hey one hook stay off my lake lol just kidding   we still have to hit that pond this winter to 

timberdoodle

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2008, 04:09 AM »
As soon as there is enough ice, I'll be headed to Peirmont looking for another 40+ inch Pike. Early season is the time to be up there. Hopefully there will be atleast 4 inches by x-mas.

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2008, 05:05 AM »
Um...yeah you know where I'll be as soon as there is ice. Invited a bunch of friends over to the house a couple of weeks ago for a fish fry. Went to take some crappie out of the freezer and found that I was all out! Had to switch to haddock nuggets and smelts...Tim

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:32 AM »
I hope I might be at camp for the first this year again. I was really nice cutting the first hole in the CT Lakes last year!  If not, I will be learning new ice here in NY

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2008, 10:18 AM »
As soon as there is enough ice, I'll be headed to Peirmont looking for another 40+ inch Pike. Early season is the time to be up there. Hopefully there will be atleast 4 inches by x-mas.

I'm with you.  I may fish trout once or twice, but I really want to catch my first pike this year.  I hope for good early season bass and pike fishing.  I'll look to lakers and cusk mid winter.

Tim, I'm definitely up for some crappie fishing this year.  Last year was a blast and those fish taste great.  Think you'd like to try for some white perch on winnie this year?

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Tim, I'm definitely up for some crappie fishing this year.  Last year was a blast and those fish taste great.  Think you'd like to try for some white perch on winnie this year?

You guys should try Squantum Lake in Jaffrey!  There are a ton of big crappie and there are also some decent white perch!

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2008, 12:21 PM »
an auger, jig stick,a folding chair,and a 12 pack on a little remote pond called sebago lake,maybe you've heard of it?

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2008, 01:45 PM »
I think I'll seek out 1st ice on Lake Iroquois this year.  Hear tell there are Crappie in there.  Never targeted Crappie, they seem popular here, maybe there's something to them?

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:06 PM »
One of the local ponds, whichever freezes first :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

timberdoodle

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:14 PM »
After catching that 41 inch northern in Peirmont a few years ago I can't get pike out of my mind. Would like to hit some of the trout lakes later on as well, I have yet to take a laker through the ice.  Might have to go to camp and hit Big Diamond.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:17 PM »
Thats a good size fish, Where is Big Diamond?
Take a kid ice fishing

timberdoodle

« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:25 PM »
Big Diamond is in stewartstown. Lake Trout/Salmon lake. I wish We had more big pike up here like you guys from Ma/Conn have. Buddy of mine lives in Conn and he catches a lot over 15lbs. Must be nice. Takes me all year to get one over 10... >:(

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Timberdoodle,
 Too bad ya can't ice fish the lake just down the street from you...
That pond would be a blast ice fishing...
I'll be fishing the first pond/lake that freezes over in my area.

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:47 PM »
I will probably start on baboosic because it is the easiest spot for me to continually check the the ice on and it freezes pretty quick for southern nh.  But at this point i am not picky and will take any lake with ice
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:49 PM »
  Might have to go to camp and hit Big Diamond.

I hit that this summer in the boat. We marked a ton of fish on the graph but only landed little lakers.

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2008, 03:00 PM »
After catching that 41 inch northern in Peirmont a few years ago I can't get pike out of my mind. Would like to hit some of the trout lakes later on as well, I have yet to take a laker through the ice.  Might have to go to camp and hit Big Diamond.

Well, hey, when it gets to the point you want to go after lakers, don't be shy.  Plenty of us get together and fish through the winter.

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2008, 03:11 PM »

I'm game. I saw all the posts of guys (mostly Adrien) catching tons of whites last year and got the itch for em. I was just a little too late and haven't fished for them much. We can try DD's suggestion of Squantum...Tim

timberdoodle

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2008, 04:34 PM »
Which pond would that be CDC?...I took a few days on Big Diamond as well....same results lots of fish on the screen but no big ones in the boat. Cousin of mine took a nice 11 lb laker out of there last year or the year before through the ice. I'll be happy with a couple of keepers. I'm one of the crazy ones who actually loves to eat laker. Knurren, I'll trade you some pike for lakers...lol. I'll be chasing them in my boat, them and Walleye, untill I can get on the ice. The fall bite is going and still plenty of time to fish.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2008, 04:59 PM »
I took a few days on Big Diamond as well....same results lots of fish on the screen but no big ones in the boat. Cousin of mine took a nice 11 lb laker out of there last year or the year before through the ice. I'll be happy with a couple of keepers.

There was a picture of a kid who took a 9lber out of there last winter in the News and Sentinel. I am sure there are some monsters in there. You just need to pic through the little fellas.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2008, 06:30 PM »
Which pond would that be CDC?...I took a few days on Big Diamond as well....same results lots of fish on the screen but no big ones in the boat. Cousin of mine took a nice 11 lb laker out of there last year or the year before through the ice. I'll be happy with a couple of keepers. I'm one of the crazy ones who actually loves to eat laker. Knurren, I'll trade you some pike for lakers...lol. I'll be chasing them in my boat, them and Walleye, untill I can get on the ice. The fall bite is going and still plenty of time to fish.

You're definitely not crazy for eating lakers!  They are really good eating if you have the knowledge and skill to prepare them properly.  Just as good as any other trout hands down!
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2008, 06:32 PM »
I'll probably fish Newfound first again this year.  I always seem to have pretty good luck right after first ice.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:47 PM »

I tried fishing for them last Saturday... one of the places that supposedly has access does NOT have a public launch.  A little frustrating after driving 2 hours since the NHFG depth maps mark public access.  Luckily I had a back up plan but it did not pay off.  Maybe this weekend will be better for pike fishing.

I'm game. I saw all the posts of guys (mostly Adrien) catching tons of whites last year and got the itch for em. I was just a little too late and haven't fished for them much. We can try DD's suggestion of Squantum...Tim

For sure.  I have my muzzleloader now, and I'm going to get my hunting license in a few minutes... I'll let you know if I can get a unit M permit.

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 02, 2008, 06:24 AM »
Which pond would that be CDC?...
Long pond.
 I'm from that area...Well just down the street. Our family is still there.
When I go home I get an out of state licence and fish Long pond and a few others in the area..
Always a good time...

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 02, 2008, 08:43 AM »
For sure.  I have my muzzleloader now, and I'm going to get my hunting license in a few minutes... I'll let you know if I can get a unit M permit.

Sweet...glad you got a permit. You will have to come to the seacoast. Plenty of does here.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 02, 2008, 09:21 AM »
theres no deer on the seacoast ::)

timberdoodle

« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Long pond.
 I'm from that area...Well just down the street. Our family is still there.
When I go home I get an out of state licence and fish Long pond and a few others in the area..
Always a good time...

Yeah that would be good. My buddies and I have always talked about that. Been really slow late in the season though. Honestly I wish they would make it catch and release or tighten up the limit for a few years. Also heres something you might not know about Long Pond(croydon) there are white perch in there now, only about 3-4 inches long but they are starting to take over. Hopefully they don't get a real good foothold in that pond. Although they are good eating...lol

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I'll fish first Either S. Mud lake or Nyona Lake ok maybe it'll be the gravel pit... I'm so confused

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 02, 2008, 04:28 PM »
 I'll either be at Piermont going after pike, or hit Grafton Pond.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.