Author Topic: How far from your bob house can you have a tip up  (Read 4605 times)

Offline skip15

• IceShanty Rookie
How far from your bob house can you have a tip up
« on: Dec 30, 2007, 05:56 PM »
I had a run it with F&G last year my grandson was jigging he is 7 and got a bit it was pickerel as we were pulling it up a tip up went up about 75 ft away as we got the fish on the ice F&G was on us like flys saying the tip up is to far away from us and the fly had went up and was up for 5 minutes before we went and looked at it he gave warning but was going to summons us until I made a call to a friend of mine which was a retired F&G officer and after talking to this guy he gave us a written warning I can't find any law in the NH F&G guide on this law

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How far from your bob house can you have a tip up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2007, 06:16 PM »
I can't find it in the big law book , but I think it states that you must be able to tend the trap with in REASONABLE TIME(WHAT EVER THAT IS DEPENDING ON THE OFFICER). So basically keep your eyes on your traps.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2007, 06:16 PM »
I thought that as long as you could see it you were good?

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Not really. I had some friends that were on the deck of there camp and had a set of lines in the water about 50 ' off shore and were written up for not tending their traps because f&g said it took them 5 minutes to get to a flag. The owner was taking a nature break and had been told about the flag.When he finished and got to the flag f&g came up on sleds and wrote him up .
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline skip15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2007, 06:46 PM »
I can't find it in the big law book , but I think it states that you must be able to tend the trap with in REASONABLE TIME(WHAT EVER THAT IS DEPENDING ON THE OFFICER). So basically keep your eyes on your traps.
ha i agree what is reasonable i wounder what a judge would say is reasonable i think this law is really sketchy
don't you

Offline nhfisha17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:07 PM »
It is a little sketchy because you could have one flag up and and tend to that and then another could go up...god knows how long the fight will be...
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/mrkcrne05/Icce%20Fishing/TEAMNH3.png[img]

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:32 PM »
Under "set line" in the rule book

"An unattended line placed in the fresh waters of the state (including through the ice) for the purpose of taking fish,
which is not under the direct view and control of the person placing the line."

Under " Unlawful actions" in the rule book

"No fish may be taken by use of a set line (as defined on page 13) in fresh water."

That's pretty clear to me.   If you can't see it, it's a set line.   Set lines are illegal in NH except for cusk fishing device.
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:33 PM »
sadly, a state revenue opportunity :( end of story :(
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Obey the rules and keep your money ;D
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline skip15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:43 PM »
Under "set line" in the rule book

"An unattended line placed in the fresh waters of the state (including through the ice) for the purpose of taking fish,
which is not under the direct view and control of the person placing the line."

Under " Unlawful actions" in the rule book

"No fish may be taken by use of a set line (as defined on page 13) in fresh water."

That's pretty clear to me.   If you can't see it, it's a set line.   Set lines are illegal in NH except for cusk fishing device.
Pirk
right but we could see the tip up and it was being watched until we got the jig line bite it couldn't be unattended for more then maybe a minute

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:47 PM »
wardens got bored and need something to do and make their pesense on the lake worth it. be nice to place digital timers on your traps the timer begins when the flag trips and you end it when you get to the hole
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:51 PM »
right but we could see the tip up and it was being watched until we got the jig line bite it couldn't be unattended for more then maybe a minute

I can see your side and the fish cop was streching the limits

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:00 AM »
sadly, a state revenue opportunity :( end of story :(

Exactly.

At best, he should have started with a verbal warning and showing you the rule in the F&G book as he explained it. Not playing a somewhat subjective rule to want to fine you. Definitely itchy for money. Over a pickerel no less?

Think of what that does for the kids that are fishing with us. As they grow up they might not want to participate in a sport that has such subjective laws with fish and game in the bushes with a stop watch.

Most of my experiences with them have been for a license check which is cool and even expected but I have had a couple that made me feel like I was a drug dealer in the middle of a DEA investigation.

I believe in fish and game's efforts and support them. They have earned their place in my respect book but they need to do a better job of respecting us.

-Brian

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:23 PM »
Let me first say that I can understand the initial negative feelings toward an officer so quick to hand out a ticket.
But I also think that we're all aware of the financial trouble that NH F&G is said to be in.  As with any workplace, the stuff flows downhill.
Upper management is feeling it from state politicians, which then pass this on to middle and frontline management, which in turn basically filter this down to the men and women we see out there."Pull your weight, or you're gone".  Now I know F&G officers don't get paid alot, so they must love their jobs.
This officer probably wants to keep his/her job, and you may have just picked the wrong day to be iffy.  I also assume that the officers with more tenor tend to be a little more understanding/lenient than some of the younger officers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.