Author Topic: New 2008 "Cusk" Rule for NH  (Read 8754 times)

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New 2008 "Cusk" Rule for NH
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:03 AM »
No kidding ! Two years ago I went out to block up my house during a noreaster and was knocked out by my door when it blew open! I was bending over shoveling snow and I heard the door swing open and that was it !  Next thing I knew I was lying face down in the snow in a puddle of blood. To make a long stupid story  short I fractured my skull and had to have my scalp sewn up.All from not locking my door when I went out in a blizzard !  NEVER AGAIN !!!
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Two years ago we had a guy on a lake that walked onto the ice one morning before daylight. He walked out to his shack mess around for about 15 minutes and walked back off the ice with a 19lb laker.  The witnesses that gave written statements said that they never heard an auger or a spud hit the ice. They never saw him even set a trap either.  Close friends of this gentleman have said that he leaves a cusk line in over night under his house.  This gentleman was under investigation for the rest of the season. The c/o's spent many nights on the ice waiting to catch this guy. They never did.  This particular lake is 50 miles from any cusk.

The end result of the investigation......the y "know" he caught the laker on a cusk line/set line of some kind. They can not prove it though.  This particular gentleman now fishes during the week only.  He does not talk to anyone, not even a hello. He also keeps his sled covered up so you can not see what is inside if you get close to him.

It is the law breakers that have caused many of your fees to go up and new laws to be written.
and the problem is????   maybe he had an electric auger in his shack!    give him the benifet of the doubt   I know the icegator is quiet maybe he got lucky  when you put a line in the water   who knows what you will catch!   there really is no such thing as a cusk line perch line or laker line  hook line sinker and bait   what comes around and attaches it to your line is what ya get  release the illegal fish  is all ya can say   if anybody asked me if thatwas a cusk line Id tell em its a laker line or a perch line   ect....
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 26, 2007, 11:54 AM »
and the problem is????   maybe he had an electric auger in his shack!    give him the benifet of the doubt   I know the icegator is quiet maybe he got lucky  when you put a line in the water   who knows what you will catch!   there really is no such thing as a cusk line perch line or laker line  hook line sinker and bait   what comes around and attaches it to your line is what ya get  release the illegal fish  is all ya can say   if anybody asked me if thatwas a cusk line Id tell em its a laker line or a perch line   ect....

The witnesses are credable.   They watched him and saw not use of ice cutting equipment.  This guy has been watched pretty hard over the years. He has caught 9 lakers over 18 pounds in as many years in 3 lakes down home.  Even his best friends say he is up to something.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 26, 2007, 12:29 PM »
maybe he is a better fisherman  esp  if He cant be caught!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 26, 2007, 12:54 PM »
maybe he is a better fisherman  esp  if He cant be caught!

he might now because you can't even set cusk lines in the lakes that he fishes due to the new rules this year!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 26, 2007, 01:00 PM »
laker line now

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:09 AM »
fish and game is supposed to have full access to your bobhouse ...they dont knock on your door and wait for you to open it up they want to walk right up and open it ...
may not be an actuall law i heard this from a couple people though

Catch A Buzz

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:12 AM »
The witnesses are credable.   They watched him and saw not use of ice cutting equipment.  This guy has been watched pretty hard over the years. He has caught 9 lakers over 18 pounds in as many years in 3 lakes down home.  Even his best friends say he is up to something.
im sorry but couldent he have already had holes from a day or two before hand? i just went out fishing yesterday and re-opened my holes from 3 days ago..as long as the weather co-operates its possible? and even if he did catch it illegally ...punish him and others like him not the poor guys following the rules and releasing the illegal fish

Catch A Buzz

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:14 AM »
I think if you check  they need permission or a warrant the laws changed awhile ago someone got smart and took them to court over such an invasion of privacy in personal property  I even believe it was reported on here a few yrs ago

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #39 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:18 AM »
you can also have something besides a lock from the inside to keep your doors shut..like a doornob maybe? anyway im not sure if it is an actuall law could be  hear-say but it sounds like a plausible law  to me especially when i saw the two people on winni with there salmon hidden away in the bobhouse about to be grilled up in the bobhouse. they need to punish the offenders. not everyone

Catch A Buzz

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:38 AM »
The only laws regarding Bob Houses in the '08 rules are in regards to displaying name and address, marking with reflective material, and the dates for which Bob Houses must be removed from the ice.  Do what you will with that information, but having a lock on the inside of your bob house does not appear to be illegal.  I would not be concerned since it is not listed in the book.

I would be interested to find out if the 4th amendment would apply to a bob house.  I'd think that one might have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the bob house, meaning that probably cause is needed to search.  If that's true, Wardens can't just walk into your bob house and start poking around.  This has me questioning it though.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:18 PM »
quick google got this:

ArticlesOriginally published in Outdoor News on: August 16, 2002 - August 25,2002

Fishing for Privacy
Phillip J. Trobaugh
(email)
Mansfield, Tanick & Cohen, P.A.
1700 U. S. Bank Plaza South
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Tel: 612.339.4295
FAX: 612.339.3161

Maybe you are in your cozy fish shanty, enjoying a good evening of ice fishing with some friends on Mille Lacs, and suddenly you hear a hard rap on the door, followed by "Conservation Officer, please open up!" Must you allow the officer inside to inspect? Or perhaps you have been trolling on Leech Lake for Muskie in your 26 foot outboard and a Conservation Officer requests to inspect your catch on your boat. Should you allow her to?

Two recent Minnesota Court of Appeals cases have dealt with these important legal issues, which affects anglers. The results are important for you to understand regarding your rights as you enjoy fishing.

In State v. Krenz, a Conservation Officer approached a fish house situated on Cannon Lake, in Rice County. He knocked and identified himself, and entered the house without waiting for a response from the two men inside. The Officer asked to see one of the men's fishing license, which he was unable to retrieve. After the Officer saw a small pipe, the Officer asked the angler, now a drug suspect, where the marijuana was.

When the suspect denied that he had any marijuana, the Officer searched a tackle box and found a spoon with a white substance on it. The suspect said that it was baking soda. However, after retrieving containers, the Officer saw the other fisherman drop something down an ice hole; the men then admitted the substance in the containers was cocaine. One later admitted that the pipe belonged to him, and that he smoked crack cocaine with it.

In deciding the case, it was important to the Court that the Conservation Officer had no warrant, consent, probable cause, or an articulable basis for suspicion to justify his initial search of the fish house. The Court reasoned that the owner of the fish house had a reasonable expectation of privacy in the house because its four walls provided visual privacy for many lawful activities, and that his privacy cannot be invaded by an Officer's search without probable cause or a warrant. Probable cause is a legal term meaning "the known facts and circumstances are sufficient to warrant a person of reasonable prudence in the belief that contraband or evidence of crime will be found." The state argued that the warrantless search was reasonable because the Officer was enforcing fishing regulations for a licensed activity. The Court essentially said that fishing was not heavily regulated enough to justify a warrantless search.

The second case, State v. Colosimo, involved an attempted boat inspection by a Conservation Officer near Namakan Lake in St. Louis County, on the Canadian border. The boat's owner and a group of his friends towed their boat to a boat landing, after a day of fishing. Once they reached the landing, a Conservation Officer approached them and asked to see the fish they had caught. The boat's owner refused, demanding that the Conversation Officer explain why he had a right to detain and inspect his fishing boat. The Officer answered he did not need a reason, and ticketed the boat's owner.

Subsequently, the boat' owner was charged with refusing to allow inspection of a boat, and for obstructing an officer in his official duties. The district court dropped the obstruction charge, but found him guilty of refusing the officer's inspection. The court said that the Officer did not need a reasonable suspicion or warrant to inspect the fish in the boat which had already been stopped.

The Court of Appeals rejected the district court's interpretation, concluding that a boat owner has a reasonable expectation of privacy because the Fourth Amendment guarantees prohibiting unreasonable searches and seizures applies to Conservation Officers' boat inspections, regardless of whether the vehicle is stopped or not. Although the state argued that a boat owner's expectation of privacy could be limited when balanced against an Officer's need to regulate recreational fishing, the court relied on the reasoning from the fish shanty case to conclude that warrantless searches are not justified to enforce the regulatory scheme for recreational fishing.

Both the fish shanty and boat cases deal with the concept of privacy. Privacy can be found in many different laws, but in both of these cases, they dealt with the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which states:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons of things to be seized.

Minnesota's State Constitution has a similar provision. Actions by the State, through agents such as Conservation Officers, are governed by the Fourth Amendment. This means the Conservation Officers must have proper grounds to search various "places," including fish shanties and "effects" like boats.

Minnesota also recognizes a "right to privacy" separate from the Federal and State Constitutions. This separate privacy right kicks in when privacy disputes occur between private citizens, or private citizens and businesses. Minnesota's privacy right is fairly new. It comes from a 1988 case involving a partially nude photograph of two people that had been shown around town by the employee of the photo lab where the photo had been developed. The Minnesota Supreme Court said that a person's body is a "privacy interest worthy of protection." The Court acknowledged the right to sue the store for damages based upon its alleged breach of privacy.

The fishing privacy that anglers enjoy does not automatically bar Conservation Officers from doing their jobs. It remains to be seen how the Department of Natural Resources will respond in terms of being able to inspect fish shanties and boaters. One issue anglers ought to be aware of is that the level of privacy for fish houses and boats are not the same.

Fish shanties, because of their resemblance to houses, provide similar privacy expectations as those of people in their own homes. This is in part what the Court decided. So, usually before a Conservation Officer has the right to inspect your fish house, the Officer must first obtain a search warrant. In order to obtain the warrant, the officer needs to be able to identify with some specificity the reasons justifying the search. A generalized need to search will not be enough. One exception to the need for a warrant is when a suspect flees inside a building while being pursued by law enforcement. In such a situation, a warrant will not be needed.

A boat is more like a car in terms of owners' privacy expectations. A warrant is not necessary to search the passenger portion of a car, but the Officer needs to have probable cause before she can search. For example, if the officer sees in plain view of the boat that too many fish are caught, that may give her probable cause to search the boat to determine if even more fish have been caught. Also, if the officer detects through sight or odor that an illegal drug is on the boat, she would have probable cause to search it further.

It is important for anglers to know what their privacy rights when fishing, what the law will allow, and what it will not. Privacy rights are not so broad as to stop all inspections. Likewise, the standard for allowing inspections has been clarified, and not all inspections may be allowed, given the rules from the fish shanty and fishing boat cases.

Phillip J. Trobaugh is an attorney with the law firm of Mansfield, Tanick & Cohen, and teaches privacy law at the University of Minnesota School of Law. Mr. Trobaugh enjoys fishing at Leech Lake whenever he can.
 http://www.mansfieldtanick.com/CM/Articles/Fishing-For-Privacy.asp

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 28, 2007, 03:40 PM »
party on
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:09 PM »

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:48 PM »
Good thing I have nothing to hide in my shack..... ;D

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:07 AM »
Tricky subject searching personal property for any reason. I drive a 14000gvw truck. Do not need a cdl license but Highway patrol can pull me over for any or NO reason and search my truck!! I don't have money for lawyers to argue these points in court so I just play by the rules and if the F&G or DMV come a checkin I don't have to worry! I think as for the guy supposedly "illegally" catching large lakers, in America your innocent until PROVEN guilty. Maybe he is a really good fisherman! I think we should mark his spot on GPS and set up a shanty there before him next season!!! :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.