Author Topic: Favorite Cove to Fish on THE BIG LAKE  (Read 5408 times)

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
Re: Favorite Cove to Fish on THE BIG LAKE
« Reply #30 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:06 AM »
I think that newer people getting into the sport are trying to take advantage of the hospitality of alot of fisherman, most of us are willing to help out anyway we can and even share some stories and a few wobbly pops but don,t expect an answer that might possibly ruin someones good spot that they bring there own kids or grandkids to that took them years to find or figure out. I,ve fished up north quite a bit over the years and everyone is fantastic to talk to but one thing that always makes me laugh is you ask someone hows the fishing and the answer is always it was better yesterday or you missed it by a week :woot:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Thanks for bringing up some of the classic lines/questions and justifications, folks.
I didn't think I was the lone ranger, in my thoughts.
Hopefully, people will give a little more thought to their requests and divulging TOO much info on the inter web.  ::)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:28 AM »
I have never had a problem finding places to fish.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:00 AM »

ISO...the best parking spots for me an my Amigos, near or close to the best water access and the best place to catch fish...will provide beers, scotch, whiskey, and food...also please go to my “go fund me” page to contribute to my purchase of hunt/fish licenses for the next foreseeable future

Thank you in advance
Act now I'll throw in a NH liquor store Gift Card
Salmonemia

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Typical outta state looking for Intel. Ask me, I'll tell all the best spots, right!.  For me, unless you know the ice and the currents ,you shouldn't be relying on electronic advice as to where to go. Yeah, I'll come down to your state and you'll tell me yo it r secrets. Sos

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Typical outta state looking for Intel. Ask me, I'll tell all the best spots, right!.  For me, unless you know the ice and the currents ,you shouldn't be relying on electronic advice as to where to go. Yeah, I'll come down to your state and you'll tell me yo it r secrets. Sos

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Geez! Welcome Back Scott!  ;D
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Bring back the good ole boys where you still see pics of nice fish and can learn something. All the OG guys come back and have all these new tool boxes head to the FB wasteland. Don’t like it? Prove yourself! We all had too, and it was far less kind

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I came in, started a thread introducing myself first off. Then made some outrageous claims and talked it up.

Here’s the kicker, I backed it after. Go ahead and look. And I asked no one for nothing. There’s a new concept

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:26 PM »
welcome back dude
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:27 PM »
I came in, started a thread introducing myself first off. Then made some outrageous claims and talked it up.

Here’s the kicker, I backed it after. Go ahead and look. And I asked no one for nothing. There’s a new concept
here we go Boys. Starting it off right on track.  ;D
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Yeah "Sir", welcome back.  :clap:
I'll bet you can tell about some pretty wild FB ice fishing comments, questions and stories you've read.  ;D
In all fairness, I know at least a few out of stater's that aren't guilty as charged. You folks know who you are and are more than welcome, IMO.
There's definitely some from away that are guilty and they're more justified as far as I'm concerned. 
Scott, don't think for one second that NH isn't breeding and/or at least housing many of these instant gratification seeking individuals!
I came in, started a thread introducing myself first off.
Now, there's a great concept, right there!
Would get more answers from me then "Were da best fishin"

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Wow! Tough crowd from the perspective of a guy from Minnesota.   ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Yeah "Sir", welcome back.  :clap:
I'll bet you can tell about some pretty wild FB ice fishing comments, questions and stories you've read.  ;D
In all fairness, I know at least a few out of stater's that aren't guilty as charged. You folks know who you are and are more than welcome, IMO.
There's definitely some from away that are guilty and they're more justified as far as I'm concerned. 
Scott, don't think for one second that NH isn't breeding and/or at least housing many of these instant gratification seeking individuals!Now, there's a great concept, right there!
Would get more answers from me then "Were da best fishin"

I hear ya CD, I'm from.out of state but have been fishing here longer than alot of these dudes have been alive...and I think I've earned my keep.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:45 PM »
I hear ya CD, I'm from.out of state but have been fishing here longer than alot of these dudes have been alive...and I think I've earned my keep.
No question in my mind, Joe and that of many others others on here!
You've shared more tips and techniques than most on here.
Like I said before, you could fish in most any state and be at or near the top.
BTW, have you tried that Ken Onion model sharpener yet? if so, what are your thoughts?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:54 PM »
No question in my mind, Joe and that of many others others on here!
You've shared more tips and techniques than most on here.
Like I said before, you could fish in most any state and be at or near the top.
BTW, have you tried that Ken Onion model sharpener yet? if so, what are your thoughts?

I did, I sharpened all the knives from the boat,some were pretty rough, it would have taken me 2 hours with my Japanese water stones,  2 knives 10 minutes  and shaving sharp, I had a meat cleaver I use for butchering deer, the edges was tough, from.the 2 deer I cut up this fall,I made it so sharp that I can cleanly cut paper with only the weight of the cleaver, I ordered the tool grinding attachment to go with it I was so impressed,  I'm going to sharpen my electric knives tomorrow. ..I report in how it works on them.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Thanks Joe. Great to hear!
Do those belts look like they'll last a while? Quick and easy to change out?

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #47 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:13 PM »
 ;)  ;D love you guys. You know who you are.
Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:14 PM »

I got a spare  set of belts, because I was thinking like you, the instructions say the belts last longer than you think, we will see, I am going to sharpen all the kitchen knives, and I have a 40 years old Kershaw with interchangeable blades that needs a good sharpening,I used 3 different grits  on each knife, the belts take a few seconds to change...once I've reground. each knife, the actual sharpening should be quick

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:22 PM »

I'll add, that,  I probably could sharpen them faster, but,  i wanted to go slow and keep the blade cool, the direction say 1" per second,  I don't want to spoil the heat treat.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 31, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Thanks again, Joe.
I agree, heat ain't good for temper.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:14 AM »
Hi fellas, you all know the problem created by online forums.  Just gotta be smart that's all. As for me on fb, it is an easier platform but has it's pitfalls.  As for the fishing,things seem off a bit with the conditions limiting where you can go. I guess we got spoiled last few years.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Besides poring over bathymetry maps, one of the ways I’ve found my favorite coves or spots is by fishing open water and visually finding ideal habitat for whatever. Yeah, not everybody can get out in a boat. Not even a little one. Kayaks work too though. Short of that, when you get out on the ice and start rolling around and plugging in, you come across other fishermen sometimes, who sometimes may be inclined to be cordially social. If and when you find of us, rest assured you have a found a decent spot. Perhaps we’ll cross paths....

Offline ThroughTheIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Agreed!
I don't think it's just me, but thinking NHIS is resembling Space Book more and more this year!
There's multiple reasons why you don't just join up and/or start posting and ask for everyone's favorite spot. There's way too many bodies of water listed in reference to "how's the ice"? "how's the fishing"? "where do you get on"? "slammed em there today or didn't."
Way too much of this on Space Book and too much going on here, IMO.
PM a friend or someone you think may know.
Way too many water bodies in this state have been spoiled by too much inter web info.
Get in your vehicle, take a trip, look around and try some ponds and lakes. That's half the fun.
Thoreau said "Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Jus sayin....
So, I'm going to take a few minutes to add an opposing view on this.  I am in my early 40's and spent a lot of my younger years fishing with my father, family and friends in Vermont, where I'm from.  We built shanties and set up shop on many lakes and ponds, but our permanent home was Harriman Reservoir in Wilmington.  I spent many, many days and nights on the ice (putting in my time) to know where to fish.
Fast forward and I'm a bit older now, have moved to NH, have two kids, two jobs, coach sports, etc., etc., etc. (mush the same as many of you).  Point being, as much as I'd like to fish every weekend, I just don't have the time anymore, my time is committed elsewhere and rightfully so. 
What does all that mean for me posting here............  I have asked others about Pittsburg lakes, BIP and Winnisquam.  I am NOT asking because I'm out there looking to grab the state record or even a trophy fish.  I ask because 9 out of 10 times, I'm bringing my kids (13 & 11) and trying to introduce them to the sport.  Taking a guess at a safe place where I may or may not catch fish isn't going to hook them on the sport.  It's not about me, very rarely do I even pull the trap and fight the fish, I have them do it.  And again, all the bodies of water for which I ask for guidance are HUGE and the ask if broad.  As stated, I don't post a lot, but look back at some of my posts surrounding Dispy and BIP.  He was very gracious to me and my kids, went out of his way to offer guidance and the result was a memorable one for my kids.  They didn't catch any "pigs", but they chased flags and had fun.  And because of it, continue to ask when they can go Ice Fishing.
So, guard your honey hole, I don't blame you and I'd do the same.  But, lets not be so cynical about people asking for a little bit of advice, were not all freeloaders looking for a handout.  In my case, I'm trying to attract the next group of young fisherman, with the little bit of free time I have.
Go ahead, blast me if you wish, just thought I'd provide a viewpoint from the other side.

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Fair point TTI, well said.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:24 PM »
So, I'm going to take a few minutes to add an opposing view on this.  I am in my early 40's and spent a lot of my younger years fishing with my father, family and friends in Vermont, where I'm from.  We built shanties and set up shop on many lakes and ponds, but our permanent home was Harriman Reservoir in Wilmington.  I spent many, many days and nights on the ice (putting in my time) to know where to fish.
Fast forward and I'm a bit older now, have moved to NH, have two kids, two jobs, coach sports, etc., etc., etc. (mush the same as many of you).  Point being, as much as I'd like to fish every weekend, I just don't have the time anymore, my time is committed elsewhere and rightfully so. 
What does all that mean for me posting here............  I have asked others about Pittsburg lakes, BIP and Winnisquam.  I am NOT asking because I'm out there looking to grab the state record or even a trophy fish.  I ask because 9 out of 10 times, I'm bringing my kids (13 & 11) and trying to introduce them to the sport.  Taking a guess at a safe place where I may or may not catch fish isn't going to hook them on the sport.  It's not about me, very rarely do I even pull the trap and fight the fish, I have them do it.  And again, all the bodies of water for which I ask for guidance are HUGE and the ask if broad.  As stated, I don't post a lot, but look back at some of my posts surrounding Dispy and BIP.  He was very gracious to me and my kids, went out of his way to offer guidance and the result was a memorable one for my kids.  They didn't catch any "pigs", but they chased flags and had fun.  And because of it, continue to ask when they can go Ice Fishing.
So, guard your honey hole, I don't blame you and I'd do the same.  But, lets not be so cynical about people asking for a little bit of advice, were not all freeloaders looking for a handout.  In my case, I'm trying to attract the next group of young fisherman, with the little bit of free time I have.
Go ahead, blast me if you wish, just thought I'd provide a viewpoint from the other side.
Commendable, and I am not blasting you, but there is also more than one way to skin a cat. Suggestions have been offered already about PM’s and so forth. Given your expressed purposes, MY first move would be to google and then contact a bait and tackle shop in the area of which I hoped to bring my kids fishing, and proceed from there....

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:11 PM »
Commendable, and I am not blasting you, but there is also more than one way to skin a cat. Suggestions have been offered already about PM’s and so forth. Given your expressed purposes, MY first move would be to google and then contact a bait and tackle shop in the area of which I hoped to bring my kids fishing, and proceed from there....
All true.
It is a bit of a double edged sword. I see two issues here.
1. you want to keep the kids interested with good fishing. Sad that a lot of kids need instant gratification, today. Used to be, a day with Dad was enough. Catching was a bonus.
2. When you ask on social media, you aren't the only one being informed. If everyone goes to that spot, you might as well take the kids to an amusement spot for some fee fishing.
TTI, You sound plenty intelligent. I'd go back through some of the suggested solutions and devise a plan for some exploration days with your kids.
Re: Dispy (Tom), he's basically an informal guide service. Nothing wrong with that. That's always an option for you. You could take your kids out with a guide?
Remember what Thoreau said about fishing.   

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:32 PM »
I know that when I was a kid, I cared more about the action and didn't like waiting for flags. One day, my father took us to a slower place that I knew wouldn't have constant action and I asked to go panfish fishing instead. Turns out my father had the better idea and I got a six pound brown that day. You never know what you're gonna get.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:41 PM »
And to think that I gave up an hour of watching Days of our Lives to read this thread....... 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:05 PM »
And to think that I gave up an hour of watching Days of our Lives to read this thread....... 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.