Author Topic: My 3rd place Winner!  (Read 5353 times)

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My 3rd place Winner!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Congrats on your win!  Thanks for sharing the picture! :)

Offline perchinagain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Nice fish .....hate to stir up some bees but id be p*****ed if I read that the guy that beat you out for second didnt even catch it. Thats cheating and would suck if it were true. >:(

Offline oak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Good for you, I am glad to see the fish itself, after two days on Alton Bay 3 guys 6 holes all holes different bait and your fish is the only one I have seen. congrats.
"oak"

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:24 AM »
congrats!  that'll be a catch to remember  ;D

Offline iduckhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:46 PM »
if i was your daughter id be getting a fish tank and an airrator for that 1 lol

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Nice fish .....hate to stir up some bees but id be p*****ed if I read that the guy that beat you out for second didnt even catch it. Thats cheating and would suck if it were true. >:(
Well, even if he did not catch it the second prize would have gone to the one who did.  He didn't cheat.  It's like someone giving him a scratch ticket and its a $6500 winner! :)
Remember.  Where ever you go, there you are.

Offline BassNH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BassTurdNH
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Congrats to you. It's nice to see what they look like. Now if I could only catch one myself. Congats again.
Fish tremble at the sound of my voice!

Offline banman1960

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:21 AM »
"Nice fish .....hate to stir up some bees but id be p*****ed if I read that the guy that beat you out for second didnt even catch it. Thats cheating and would suck if it were true."

So some poor dude who went through the trouble and cost of buying a ticket didn't get a prize because of this. I hope it's not true. Otherwise groups of fisherman can buy 1 derby ticket and just give their winning fish to the ticket owner to get their prize.

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:01 AM »
groups of fisherman can buy 1 derby ticket and just give their winning fish to the ticket owner to get their prize

That is the biggest problem I have with the ice derby. This happens all the time. I can not even tell you how many people on winnisquam did that this weekend. I must have talked to 10+ people who said they had no ticket and let their buddy cash it for them if they won. It's sad because the sales from the tickets are what helps keeping the derby going. Why are people so cheap sometimes, the tixs don't cost that much
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Think about what you are saying.  You cannot just give a winning fish to another angler to "cash in".  Unless that other angler posesses a derby registration form and fishing license to "cash in".  I don't know all of the details, but if it is true, it may have gone something like this...............Ang ler "A" has 4 traps.  He says to Angler "B" I'll drill you a couple of holes and you can use 2 of my traps in them.  At that point, the 2 traps have become designated to Angler "B".  Thus, whatever is caught on Angler "B's" traps, become his posession.  No matter what licensed/registered Angler caught it.  Unless of course Angler "A" wants to dispute it, then you have a fight on your hands.  Either way "A" or "B" wins!

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:00 PM »
I like the way the Winni Derby has it set up. Everyone has to be registered on the boat. Man, women, kid..
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Here is a real example.............

There was a group of about 10 guys 100 yards away from us on the derby. Only 2 of them bought tickets to the derby but all 10 where fishing. If Joe caught a winning fish he was going to have Fred say he caught it and collect the prize for him (even though Joe caught it on his trap,fought the fish himself etc). Now because fred did this for Joe, Joe would split the prize with him (sell it and split money).

Now this is just one group that was open about it. Makes you wonder how many others do it this way and try and screw the system. It's just not right but how do you stop it?

Offline iduckhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:18 PM »
just to inform you there are no tagged salmon in winnipesaukee! all the tagged fish are rainbows! the last tagge salmon was tagged in the late 1970's and that fish would be well over 40 pounds! so basically you through back a tagged rainbow

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:39 PM »

There was a group of about 10 guys 100 yards away from us on the derby. Only 2 of them bought tickets to the derby but all 10 where fishing. If Joe caught a winning fish he was going to have Fred say he caught it and collect the prize for him (even though Joe caught it on his trap,fought the fish himself etc). Now because fred did this for Joe, Joe would split the prize with him (sell it and split money).

Now this is just one group that was open about it. Makes you wonder how many others do it this way and try and screw the system. It's just not right but how do you stop it?

I've seen/heard about this several times myself, a few guys buy their fishing license but don't want to spend the extra $30- for a ticket...so one buys one for the group or they all split it... I've always bought my own ticket and insisted that my buddies buy theirs too...Keep in mind that there are also the two $5000- ticket stub drawings. You've also got to think about the tax issue also...The guy who buys the ticket/registers the fish is also now resposible for any taxes on the prize as well...

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:42 PM »
I've seen/heard about this several times myself, a few guys buy their fishing license but don't want to spent the extra $30- for a ticket...so one buys one for the group or they all split it... I've always bought my own ticket and insisted that my buddies buy theirs too...Keep in mind that there are also the two $5000- ticket stub drawings. You've also got to think about the tax issue also...The guy who buys the ticket/registers the fish is also now resposible for any taxes on the prize as well...

Here in NY most of the derbies ask for your Fishing License when you sign up. The number on the Derby Entry must match  your Fishing License. If not game over.

Offline 61gun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:45 PM »
just to inform you there are no tagged salmon in winnipesaukee! all the tagged fish are rainbows! the last tagge salmon was tagged in the late 1970's and that fish would be well over 40 pounds! so basically you through back a tagged rainbow

I believe he was reffering to broodstock salmon (which are all tagged), and they are put in the rivers.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:50 PM »

61 Gun is right...What I was referring to was the tagged Broodstock salmon that are stocked in the Merrimack River...

One from last year...

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:02 PM »

Its a mighty hard thing to enforce, you got many people that do not do derby's but still ice fish that weekend.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:14 PM »
Unfortunately there's no real way against it. I guess it's just the honor system and you hope more people follow it than don't. I always buy my ticket because I sure as H&*l wouldn't want to split a major prize. that would be pretty lame to say I won half a boat because I was too cheap to buy a ticket....

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:18 PM »
that would be pretty lame to say I won half a boat because I was too cheap to buy a ticket....

BINGO....That is how I look at it. Plus I want the boat, I would not sell it, I would sell my current boat before the new one

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:32 PM »
Now I can see why the numbers are from past years. Here's number of tickets sold from previous years
1992-----  5,836
1993-----  6,568
1994-----  6,654
1995-----  N/A
1996-----  4,762
1997-----  4,251
1998-----  7,631
1999-----  N/A
2000----   7,911
2001----   7,950
2002----   4,952*
2003   6,355
2004   5,957
* poor ice conditions derby delayed two weeks

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Think about what you are saying.  You cannot just give a winning fish to another angler to "cash in".  Unless that other angler posesses a derby registration form and fishing license to "cash in".  I don't know all of the details, but if it is true, it may have gone something like this...............Ang ler "A" has 4 traps.  He says to Angler "B" I'll drill you a couple of holes and you can use 2 of my traps in them.  At that point, the 2 traps have become designated to Angler "B".  Thus, whatever is caught on Angler "B's" traps, become his posession.  No matter what licensed/registered Angler caught it.  Unless of course Angler "A" wants to dispute it, then you have a fight on your hands.  Either way "A" or "B" wins!

Now if Angler "B" had actually fought and lost the fish due to inexperince, then I would automatically be bumped up to 2nd place.  That it a little tough to swallow :-\

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:05 PM »
not to mention all of the drawings for cash for ticket holders , nice job SS! nice to meet you there to!

Catch A Buzz

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:38 PM »
61 Gun is right...What I was referring to was the tagged Broodstock salmon that are stocked in the Merrimack River...

One from last year...

(Image removed from quote.)
caught one simular to yours on a brown wolly bugger in the soucook river here in loudon on my 6 weight

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Congrats to you. It's nice to see what they look like. Now if I could only catch one myself. Congats again.
I didn't even see the tag until I laid it on the ice.  The tag was lying close to the body, not sticking straight out.  I was trying to get the hook out of the mouth.  I was ready to release it, but before I did I laid it on the ice just to look at it before I through it back.  Then I screamed to my brother, who was right by me, "it's got a tag"!

Offline Deer12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:51 PM »
I want a recount....

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Then I screamed to my brother, who was right by me, "it's got a tag"!

I can feel the rush......you must have been stoked

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:10 PM »
I can feel the rush......you must have been stoked
I was stoked!  We went to Sqaum on Sunday just to pass some time.  We got skunked!  I'm going out tomorrow to icefish.  I can't wait!  A whole week without icefishing! I'm out of my mind, leave a message!  It's gonna be a great tailgate/icefishing extravaganza tomorrow!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.