Author Topic: Cascade Going to be Interesting  (Read 8323 times)

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cascade Going to be Interesting
« on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Yep the weather will be a factor but that's Mama Nature...lifes deals them aces and eights hands but those willing will get out and ROCK-ON for those that are PERCHED for the Cascade PERCHZILLAS.  One angler who knows how its done and has put us on fish just recently is Mr. Mike Hall and the SBF lure he's raising the bar on pulling them Zillas to 'da-ice-hole-lite'...a whole new way of going after them Walleye Kin...here's a few photos...and yes Mr. Hall is working it now on Cascade cracking 'da' code for the Zillas...he's doing fine in our play book...he put us on a whole lot of glutton of fish recently on a body of water we'd never done well at all on during the hard deck.  THANK YOU MIKE.  Bring on this weekend...will be fun with great folks enjoying.... Here's just a few photos of the ZILLAS Mike has brought to the light and shared with me;) ;)

:) :)

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cascade Going to be Interesting
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Can't get the state record if you keep killing the potentials.... :o
Matt

Oh congrats...
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline Idaho Spudhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:10 PM »
What language are you speaking?  It looks like a variation of English.  Let us know when you crack the code so us locals can finally catch some fish.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:26 PM »
A lure that fish cant resist sounds great but thank God there is no such thing or everyone would hav one and there'd b no fish left to catch

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:07 PM »
Nice looking fish. Sticking around for the derby?

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:14 PM »
A lure that fish cant resist sounds great but thank God there is no such thing or everyone would hav one and there'd b no fish left to catch

He is referring to the Sonic Bait Fish by Mac's lures.  I have caught fish on it.  Just like I have caught fish on lots of other lures.  I believe Cascade is more about finding the big fish and your tactics (jigging, dead sticking, fishing bottom, or several feet off) than specifically what you use.  Saw tons of jumbos caught from our group on Saturday....on a wide variety of lures.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:18 PM »
Where are the "Zillas" pics??
BOWHUNTER68

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Where are the "Zillas" pics??

No need to post the pics!  But you saw the one pic of the carnage.  All told over 40 perch over 12" on Saturday.  Largest went 16 1/8" and 2lbs 4 oz....I didn't catch it but I taped and weighed it for my buddy.  Lets just say it was a good day!

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2014, 03:02 AM »
What language are you speaking?  It looks like a variation of English.  Let us know when you crack the code so us locals can finally catch some fish.

Kinda sounds like upper midwestern der eh?

Nice pictures, congrats on a good time, hopefully this weekend it will be frozen enough in the morning to get track machines out and I can get a chance to move around enough to catch some of those bad boys.  Cascade is a great place and tackle tom's is a great shop so either way it will be a great day. 

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:30 AM »
Was that part of your crew? If so true story bud....
BOWHUNTER68

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Largest went 16 1/8" and 2lbs 4 oz...

are you sure your scale is on? i've had 1-15 1/2" go 2.2 and a 15 3/4" go 2.41..... figure that big a fish would be a new state record...
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:37 AM »
are you sure your scale is on? i've had 1-15 1/2" go 2.2 and a 15 3/4" go 2.41..... figure that big a fish would be a new state record...
Matt

It's a fairly accurate digital.  I have weighed fish with it and then put on a certified and it has never been off more than an ounce.  This fish had the length just not quite the girth needed to hit record levels.  We caught one a half inch shorter that weighed nearly the same.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:55 AM »
It's a fairly accurate digital.  I have weighed fish with it and then put on a certified and it has never been off more than an ounce.  This fish had the length just not quite the girth needed to hit record levels.  We caught one a half inch shorter that weighed nearly the same.

interesting....
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Those big fatties are pretty impressive, those little tail muscles make me laugh every time.  Looks like a fish version of body builders that only do bench presses.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Can't get the state record if you keep killing the potentials.... :o
Matt

Oh congrats...

Give it a rest already.  Just because you think the world will end if people keep a few fish doesn't mean you have to push it on everyone else.   ???

On a more important note, Nice fish, I bet they tasted great!!!!

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Give it a rest already.  Just because you think the world will end if people keep a few fish doesn't mean you have to push it on everyone else.   ???

On a more important note, Nice fish, I bet they tasted great!!!!

Not any time soon... Somebody needs too be a sportsman... Everyone thought the perch would go forever once before.... That got us somewhere didn't it.... No perch... So no I won't give it a rest until the day I die... Than hopefully someone else steps up... I got a couple interesting PMs about Mr. Hall and his affiliations with lure company's, he's out there for one reason too promote the new spoon.... and kill a bunch of potential records so he can say he potentially say that he caught the new record on his lure.... ::) but everyone has there own opinions,
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Not any time soon... Somebody needs too be a sportsman... Everyone thought the perch would go forever once before.... That got us somewhere didn't it.... No perch... So no I won't give it a rest until the day I die... Than hopefully someone else steps up... I got a couple interesting PMs about Mr. Hall and his affiliations with lure company's, he's out there for one reason too promote the new spoon.... and kill a bunch of potential records so he can say he potentially say that he caught the new record on his lure.... ::) but everyone has there own opinions,
Matt

So all those trophy fish you caught in those tournaments you brought them in alive and released them right?  How come you brought 3 fish in to a one fish tournament if you were so concerned about releasing trophies?

Man I can't stand righteousness.  I don't care one way or the other if a guy keeps a perch or releases it.  I keep some and release some, but I am not going to tell a man what to do if it's within the limits of the law.  Stop preaching on the forum and instead go to the fish and game meetings and express your concerns.

I have no affiliation with the original poster, but who cares if the guy is trying to catch a record on his lure.  If he does, good for him.  That's good business for their company.  I wish them luck.  I wish you luck.

Offline ID_IceRookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:04 PM »
I would like to make a comment as well as ask for some advice. Comment first. Looking back, predatory fish were the biggest limiting factor for the perch population in Cascade. Now that pike minnows have been controlled, jumbos and trout make up the majority of the top predators. Yes, there are some cohos and a few tiger Muskie to consider as well. Anyway, the lake has a finite amount of nutrients to go around to all of the fish. That said, if you reduce the number of top predators (including jumbos) there will be more food for the remaining top predators (including remaining jumbos). So if you remove some of the jumbos they will be harder to come by, but the remaining stock from that age class will have less competition for food. More food= bigger fish. I really am for releasing fish but I don't think the biology supports it in this case if you are trying to propogate the next state record. Just my two cents.

Now for my question. I plan to take my 4 yo daughter out on Sat and am limited to snowshoes and a sled. Just wondering what depth you folks are finding perch in so I know how far I need hike from the west side. Also, does anyone know how much the reservoir is down from full pool elevation?

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:14 PM »
I thought I heard 7-12' down but not certain...as far as all the biology lessons go I have to keep perch otherwise ive wasted money on a new electric fillet knife!!! To me this forum is for advice sharing ideas updates on ice and weather etc...the politics and biology class I can do without unless your a fisheries biologist with the credentials to support your opinion. We all spend a lot of money and time to do what we enjoy...if ya wanna catch and release enjoy yourself...if you wanna catch a pail full hey good for you...dont waste game or fish and dont break the rules and give back to the system more than you take and everyone wins...
BOWHUNTER68

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:18 PM »
I thought I heard 7-12' down but not certain...as far as all the biology lessons go I have to keep perch otherwise ive wasted money on a new electric fillet knife!!! To me this forum is for advice sharing ideas updates on ice and weather etc...the politics and biology class I can do without unless your a fisheries biologist with the credentials to support your opinion. We all spend a lot of money and time to do what we enjoy...if ya wanna catch and release enjoy yourself...if you wanna catch a pail full hey good for you...dont waste game or fish and dont break the rules and give back to the system more than you take and everyone wins...

Well said!

Ice-rookie I will send you a pm.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:24 PM »
The reason I brought 3 too a 1 fish weigh in is over a 4 hr period I caught the 1.74 tha the 1.87 than the 2.04, so releasing those 2 smaller ones would have been unethical, they would have died most likely.... As too my point about tourneys being an exception, other than that all 14"+ fish go back down after a quick picture, I would love for the F&G too make limits, you forget we're in a trout lover state, that's why they don't have limits on most species other than trout and bass..... I'm not righteous, just a concerned sportsman. I like catching big perch, I hope it doesn't make a difference that a bunch of big fish are taken out, but everyone I ever talked too says who cares!!! so I hope that this changes 1 persons mind too put a few back,
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline ID_IceRookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Thanks BowHunter. I do have the "creds" but I like a fish fry as much as the next guy. We're talking about a species which tends to overpopulate and get smaller over time (without overwhelming predation pressures).

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Sounds good to me icerookie...I can tell by your verbage you know what your spilling....good stuff bud.
BOWHUNTER68

Offline xstream

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:58 AM »
I've been reading this site for a quite a while and never posted much because I didn't want to get involved with the kind of drama that comes along with it at times but I can't keep my opinion to myself any longer. I always enjoy hearing what other people caught and how they did it. It's nice to know that folks can go out and have a great time fishing. If they want to eat their catch good for them if they practice catch and release more power to em. It's always disturbing to me when someone puts themselves above the rest and preaches their opinions only. I ditto the "well said" Bowhunter.

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Are you still stirring the pot...Duck-Slayer? ::)

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:10 AM »
I thought this site was to and help all of us to find and share are experiences on the ice to help new person and one who have fish a lot of time . what each of us do with are catch is are choice and everyone has a option what we do. I hope we can get back to  posting tips and place we fish and body of water. we need to help with this and do more sharing with all we do on the ice to make each one experiences a good time on the ice. this my opinion keep all tips coming and have a great rest of the season
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline xstream

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:31 AM »
That's exactly what I also believe this site is for. Here is my tip for this weekend....wear your hip boots it's wet. Good luck to all.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Are you still stirring the pot...Duck-Slayer? ::)

Yep... lol,

Seems everyone is taking my comments the wrong way, just want people too be aware, even Devil Lake, ND has limits, 20 per day, but they got twice the predators too thin the small perch down, I consider a 14+ perch a predator helping the lake, it the small ones that hurt the population not the big ones, just food for thought, there is pretty much no information on perch that is relavent too this conversation, there is some that talks about age class and such, you should think about keeping more smaller fish, again just my opinion, this just a conversation, no need too get mad or bent out of shape, every one has there opinions, I just choose too express mine, not always in the best way thou.... ;D
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:51 AM »