Author Topic: Ok, need some ice reports  (Read 7235 times)

Offline Fish Idaho

• IceShanty Rookie
Mud Lake
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:34 AM »
There is 6" of ice on the North end of Mud lake.  The South boat ramp is frozen also but I did not drill a hole there.  Water looks kind of milky still and the weeds have not died off yet.  Also saw a couple guys fishing on Roberts gravel pond when I drove by.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ok, need some ice reports
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:36 PM »
well i ended up at horsethief today. to be safe i fished the same holes as icehogger did. had 5 fish on the ice in about an hour with the last fish being a 17" (tail pinch) brown (went back). stuck around for another hour and a half looking for the llast one, but with little action. it felt great to be out there!

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Went to Soldier Meadows today for about an hour after work.  Ice was about 5", 4" good ice and 1" crap ice.  I wasnt the first person out there, there were some holes by the boat ramp.  Caught 6 trout, none had any size to them.  Not my favorite place to fish but I cant complain, this is the first time I have fished through the ice in nov.  Looking to head out to the Blue Lagoons and Moose Creek this weekend, hoping for some good ice!!

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Great report Woodland,

Hope you only fished the holes by the dock. The one further out by itself was too thin for me. Wow, a 17" Brown!?   Cool! Same thing happened on sat. fishing was really hot first 2 hrs or so, then in kinda petered out w/ only an occasional bite.

How deep was the snow on the road going in. I think I bought a $150 snowmobile today from a guy at work. Says it runs but needs some work. I guess you can't go wrong for that low of a price. Anyway, not looking to go tearing up mountain sides or anything, just want to putt from one spot to the next. I think it'll be good for that.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:05 PM »
  Looking to head out to the Blue Lagoons and Moose Creek this weekend, hoping for some good ice!!

Did you check out Winchester?  I would be skipping BL and MC until we got some real cold weather....about twice the snow there as in Moscow.

Jim

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:09 AM »
Yeah stuck pretty close to the dock. Shallow water, no more than 5' of water. Looked like they only got 1or2 inches saturday road was still in pretty good shape. Forecast looks pretty good over the next (at least up there) should be able to drive in at least another week.
Congrats on the sled. That is my next purchase too. Waiting for an old enticer or John Deere to come up on craigslist.

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:04 PM »
I didnt check out winchester.  Last time I was up at winchester was about two weeks ago and there wasnt any ice but that was right before the really cold weather hit.  I might make the loop sunday to see what it looks like.  On my way to soldiers, I stopped at Waha and the only ice up there was in the pot hole on the road in there.  Instead of going to BL and MC on saturday, I think ill head to spring valley, I hear there is a very large hole that has already been drilled!!

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:41 PM »
I think ill head to spring valley, I hear there is a very large hole that has already been drilled!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heard today from a customer that there was some ice on Winchester, but didn't pay attention to it.  Highly doubt that there would be enough to fish...  The one I am wondering about is Tolo Lake, over by Grangeville.  It is a very small, very shallow lake, but is supposed to have channel cats and crappies.

Jim ;D

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:37 AM »
anyone have plans to head north this weekend?

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:37 PM »
My buddy and I are headed to Horsethief sat. to shoot video for my ice rod holders...and that my friends requires fishing...OH HECK YEAH!!!!

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:31 PM »
I called the state park today and said that there have been some guys out there fishing.  She said as of the beginning of the week there was 3" of good ice.  she said that it has been just above freezing during the day and well below freezing at night but she is not sure how much ice there is now.  I might be headed to winchester in the morning and if that is not fishable then I will head to tolo.  Im sure tolo is fishable, it is small and REALLY shallow, it doesnt get over 7 feet deep.  There are a lot of crappie in there they just dont have much size to them.  Ill let you know how it goes Jim!

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Damn, yesterday I went north instead of south!!!  Patiently waiting on your ice report from Tolo and Winchester...  Yesterday, took all my gear and hit all the sporting goods stores in the area.  No ice anywhere according to all the fishing guys in the shops.  Did get some hot laker and lake whitefish spots for when the ice gets formed.

Jim

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Went to Horsethief again today. Two ice trips in as many weeks, season looks good so far! I got 9 trout on the ice kept 5, my buddy got 4 I think and we had a ton of bites. Too many to count but I think a safe guess between the two of us we 40-50 easy. Alot of "one hit wonders" hitting once and then leaving.

Cascade is almost completely covered now and my buddy found decent shore ice off Crown Point. If they get another week of freezing temps...perch city baby!!!!

Shot some great video of the rod holders getting bites, slamming the tips of the rods to the hole types. We were running from pole to pole like crazy folks but only got a couple of fish on the video, I think

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:38 PM »
How was the drive in? More ice on horsethief? Did you make it farther out?

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Went to Tolo early this morning to find 3-4 inches of good ice.  After spending about an hour there without touching a thing, I headed to winchester.  Winchester had 2-6 inches of ice depending on where you were at.  Back by the foot bridge is where I found the best ice.  Had a hard time avoiding the trout but I managed to land a few bass and I broke off a catfish that wouldnt fit through the hole.  Guess I need to get the next size up if I plan on fishing for cats.  Its worth the trip out there if you get the chance, just be light on your feet when you are out on the main part of the lake.  Good Luck.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Sounds like you hit my "cat hole" from last year!!!!  Highly recommend Fireline Ice and an 8" hole for the cats!

Jim

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Hey Woodland,

Yep, more ice on Horsethief! We were able to go out almost to the bouy line. I got my expedition in but the road still isn't getting plowed. If they don't get much snow up there this week, should still be able to drive in all the way to the day park.

If I go again, think I'll park there and walk to the dam on the ice. Got another 16" and 4 that were 11-12". Looking for bigger ones should be a little by the dam.

The ice was 2-3" of crap on top and about 3" of blue ice underneath. Should be able to get pretty far out with freezing temps all this week!

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:42 PM »
icehogger, thank you for the reports as always

Went up to horsethief with my wife.she landed 6, I landed 1! we got there a little late 11am. action was good though. she had two over 16".

hogger you meantion dam. when i fly fished it over the summer we concentrated on the narrow in the  north  bay and had really good luck. i was thinking trying there in the next couple weekends.

Offline Ice Foot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Mackay Reservoir had 6-7" last weekend.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Hey Woodland,

Sorry this reply is late. Glad to hear you and the wife did good up there at Horsethief! I'm happy to see the trout seem to be bigger this year. I got into 16"ers on two out of three trips.

Unfortunately, this blast of warm weather is going to ruin any ice for awhile. I guess it's okay though, I am making lots of rod holders and now don't have to compete with my ice fishing time to get 'em done, haha.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Winchester Lake...

Was on Winchester this morning with Justin.  Was fishing over there in the main lake by the footbridge and the ice was good; about 5". 

WARNING!!!!!!!

Be careful on where you go!!!!  We walked down that shorline about 150 yards and the 5" of ice suddenly became thin enough to go through easily with one stroke of the spud...pucker factor!!!!  The arm of the lake with the footbridge had places of pretty rotten ice down the middle of it in places.  If you walk across the arm from the boatlaunch, the ice is fine, just avoid what appears to be a couple of spots of thin ice due to springs.

Around the point we did our fishing and a bit right under the footbridge.  Footbridge produced largemouth and trout.  Around the point from 9' to 17' produced trout, largemouth, gills, and perch.  The gills were "slabs" and the couple of perch we picked up were dandies!  Trout were from, I guess, 10"-14" and fought hard and looked great. 

Most fish bit REALLY light...virtually no movement of the spring bobber, couldn't feel it with the rod either.  Seriously, without the electronics to know they were there, we could've easily went home skunked.  Between the two of us, I am guessing around 60 fish or so with most of 'em being 'bows.  Roughly 15 BIG gills, 8 or so largemouth, and three perch.

I have never had my baits rejected by so many fish during "first ice" in my life.

Jim

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Thanks for the reports on Winchester.  Id like to take a trip down that way when Im sure the ice is good. 

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:59 PM »
Blueduck,

Will keep you posted as we venture out there...  I wouldn't plan a trip down there until we start catching the channel cats.  So far, they have been a no show.

Jim

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Dakota- thanks.  Ill be waiting.  Cats would be a nice bonus.  The last time I fished Winchester was 1964.  Id like to see it again.

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Went to winchester on saturday before the warmup and fishing was VERY SLOW!  But I got the chance to try out my new fish finder, I dont know how I went without one for so long.  The ice was good but it was sure making a lot of noise, im not sure what that was about.  I found anywhere from 7" to 2" of good ice.  Sunday I wanted to go to Blue Lagoons but didnt make it that far, they only had the road plowed just past moose creek.  So I stopped and fished moose creek for a few hours.  Ice was a good 6" with about 2" of water on top of it.  Fishing sucked there too!!  Hoping this cold front moves in quick because I have a 3 day weekend.  My plans are to fish winchester all day friday and saturday!!

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Sounds like a good plan!

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:31 PM »
.  My plans are to fish winchester all day friday and saturday!!

I will be there all day Friday....will be over by the state park boatlaunch.

Jim

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:45 AM »
heading up to horsethief this friday and or sunday. ill venture over to cascade dam and give you all a heads up as to the ice situation

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 15, 2010, 02:54 PM »
Hey Woodland,

Not going this week but real interested in some reports. Will look forward to your reports...
Busy getting the rod holders made and out,
Let me know about the road into Horsethief. A guy at work said cougar mtn lodge got 5" this past weekend.

thanks...Hogger

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Most likely I will be back by the foot bridge.  See you there Jim!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.