Author Topic: Have to scroll right and left to read posts????  (Read 6128 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Have to scroll right and left to read posts????
« on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:26 AM »
This might be just plain dumb but I never said I was a GEEK.
Some posts, not all, are longer then others and I have to scroll right and then left to read the entire post.
It usually happens when large photos are posted in a post but on occassion the entire thread is much wider and will not fit on my screen.
I keep finding I loose interest if I constantly have to scroll right, read, then left, read, then down, read, then right, read.
Is there a way to bring the size back to fit the page and loose the right to left scroll bars????
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Re: Have to scroll right and left to read posts????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Pictures in a post that are too large for your pcs screen resolution will make the scrollbar show up thus the text rolls off the screen.

Large res pics should be posted in the pictures section, please post smaller pics max 400 pixels with posts in other are
areas of the forum.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2005, 11:54 AM »
Yes Scott, I know the picture size is sometimes what causes the scroll bar to appear at the bottom. I have also found some threads with absolutely no pics yet the scroll bar is present and it makes for not much fun reading.
Some of us are not well versed on re sizing pics to fit in regular posts. Think everyones various programs make this a, not so easy, task to explain.
I, for one, am guilty at times for posting larger pics then should be but I am usually just happy I was able to get the picture in at all.
Guess I have to live with the lower scroll bar and tough reading because there is more to it then a simple setting to bring the size back to fit in my screen area.
Thanks.
Gary

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2005, 01:22 PM »
 Find out who's posting pics and tell them they have to shrink them down. I have posted pics in the tourny entry thread that are big, because when they are shrunk down you cant read the tape measure. When I used sharemation to post pics I first would have to bring the pic into the paint program to shrink them, now I'm using photobucket and they have a resize program in the edit pic button. When I resize my pics I reduce them to 50% and that's about a 4 1/2 x 6 inch picture. If anybody has any questions on resizing pics they can pm me. I am willing to help anyone.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2005, 01:47 PM »
Hey Mark   

HELP   HELP

If I enter some fish can you shrink the other fellow IceShanty members pics so my fish will win the fishing contest?????

LOL
worth a shot wasnt it?

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:45 PM »
Gary, Another culprit is a very long url, it can cause the same problem. Could you please post a link to a page that does this for you.

-Scott

Yes Scott, I know the picture size is sometimes what causes the scroll bar to appear at the bottom. I have also found some threads with absolutely no pics yet the scroll bar is present and it makes for not much fun reading.
Some of us are not well versed on re sizing pics to fit in regular posts. Think everyones various programs make this a, not so easy, task to explain.
I, for one, am guilty at times for posting larger pics then should be but I am usually just happy I was able to get the picture in at all.
Guess I have to live with the lower scroll bar and tough reading because there is more to it then a simple setting to bring the size back to fit in my screen area.
Thanks.
Gary

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:06 PM »
Thanks Scott, Here is a link that does what I am discussing
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=3463.0

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:49 PM »
That would be holeinhides HUGE avatar doing that.  :-\

Thanks,
-Scott

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:36 AM »
I figured you were going to say that but it is rather sad that one overzealous poster can throw off an entire thread.
I do now understand how this happens and may well have been guilty in the past but this discussion will help me and possibly others to clean up our acts.
I think we all enjoy the pics and at times some of us are not fully aware of the how too's of making photos smaller so they don't affect the threads.
I just recently learned the proceedure to post photos, URL's and Links and at first it was clearly a matter of having enough knowledge to be dangerous.
Hopefully others will read this thread and get it together. Fortunately, there is a Modify key above all of our posts and at any time we can go to our profiles, clean up our HUGE avatars and other photos and this will bring the threads back into viewable space.
Thanks Scott.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:50 AM »
gary keep in mind you cant edit photo size in your post you must do it where it is being hosted or on your computer before you upload it photo bucket makes it easy

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:39 AM »
Thanks Billditrite, Photobucket is kind of cool in this manner. I had to play around extensively with my Avatar and my signature photos to get them sized only to learn photobucket can do it easily.
I did notice when I finally resized my avatar and changed it in my profile, this changed it throughout the threads I was already involved in.
My personal computer programs for working with photos make this task nearly impossible unless I devote a great deal of time and effort in learning the ins and outs of said programs.
Many of us are either too busy or just not interested enough in the computing aspects to spend the time but would like to have the ability to show an occassional photo. Photo bucket does make it easy if you spend a few minutes and play with the functions available.
I am sure there is a tutorial posted in our threads about photo posting and it probably explains the proceedure in terms many of us just don't understand or want to try to understand. That old clichette about teaching old dogs new tricks has alot of truth to it but one thing is for sure, the dog has to have a desire to learn it!
Thanks to all for the help I was given and hopefully others will learn a bit as we go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.