Author Topic: First time ice fishing this year  (Read 3302 times)

Offline 1sttimefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Best way to a fisherman's <3 is through his fly"
First time ice fishing this year
« on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:19 AM »
Hey, my name is Jen, and I decided to join this forum to learn more about ice fishing.  This will be my first year going out ice fishing and I hear it's really fun, but it's embarrassing because I don't know much about it right now.  I think I'm most interested in hearing about peoples' fishing stories out on the lake, and hopefully I will have some pretty good ones to tell too this winter.
ps: If anyone has some nice pictures from fishing out on Lake Champlain I'de be very interested in seeing them! :)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Re: First time ice fishing this year
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:30 AM »
Let me be the first to officially ;D welcome you to the greatest  :icefish: ing forum in the world. Glad to see more women interested in a great sport :clap: :thumbsup:

This place is like nothing you have ever seen or read. Were like a Cabela's or a Gander Mountain except you are not forced or chased around expecting to buy something. Here you read, learn and post when you want and get some of the best all round advice about ice fishing right here from people in your back yard or thousands of miles away.

Best of luck on your new found hobby 8) It will keep you coming back for more.

FF

Ps about you little link at the bottom, you need to have [ img ]  insert link    [/img ] I had to leave the space or it won't appear

Offline 1sttimefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:34 AM »
hey thanks for that! I got another question, I don't know why my summary isn't showing up when I click profile.  Is there a reason for that?
 ???

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:37 AM »
PM on the way ;D

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2007, 04:15 AM »
Welcome aboard :tipup:

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:56 AM »
Hey, my name is Jen, and I decided to join this forum to learn more about ice fishing.  This will be my first year going out ice fishing and I hear it's really fun, but it's embarrassing because I don't know much about it right now.  I think I'm most interested in hearing about peoples' fishing stories out on the lake, and hopefully I will have some pretty good ones to tell too this winter.
ps: If anyone has some nice pictures from fishing out on Lake Champlain I'd be very interested in seeing them! :)

Hi and welcome. You come to the right place. The first and formost thing to learn is ice safety. Go out the first year or two with a veteran ice fisher. You will learn a lot about how to read the ice to determine how safe it is.
That is priority one and everything else is second. Not saying this to scare you. Just want you to be prepared.  You will hear some spooky noises that the ice can make. Such as the pinging and cracking noises the ice makes when it is growing and expanding. I have come to hear this as a beautiful symphony but at first it scared the crap out of me. Now I look forward to it like a kid looks forward to Christmas. Don't be embarrassed about wanting to learn new things. We were all there. Were all glad to help.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2007, 07:22 AM »
Jen,

Welcome to Iceshanty. Don't feel embarrassed. We all had to start somewhere. What made you decide to try icefishing and what part of the lake are you looking to fish? I fish the northern sections of the lake mostly on the northern side. Be careful on Champlain. Its not the easiest place for a beginner to learn. You would be better off on a pond unless you have a experienced person with you.

Bussman

Offline 1sttimefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2007, 08:08 AM »
Well I'm having someone take me out this year I think by the Sand Bar on Lake Champlain, and he's being ice fishing there for years so hopefully I'll learn a lot this year!   ;D 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:21 AM »
hey thanks for that! I got another question, I don't know why my summary isn't showing up when I click profile.  Is there a reason for that?
 ???

The reason your summary doesn't show up is because whenever we get new members we discuss their future with the rest of the membership and in your case we determined that we don't like you  :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ;)2 ...
                                 (JUST KIDDING!!!)
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:23 AM »
The reason your summary doesn't show up is beacuse whenever we get new members we discuss their future with the rest of the membership and in your case we determined that we don't like you  :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ;)2 ...
                                 (JUST KIDDING!!!)
NBG

Now that is funny right there, I don't care who ya are. ;D

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline 1sttimefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:25 AM »
OHH! I get it!  :laugh:
thanks for that! ;)2

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Well you come the right place . There are lots  great people here and lots of great tips here . I learn something new every time i come on here. Good luck fishing this year
hook and cook

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:29 AM »
(SORRY!)
I'm among the group of designated smart aleck's here. And we are a very big group!

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline 1sttimefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Does anyone have a preference of the type of tip-ups to use?  I bought someone the polar original tip-up the other day, but is it true that the round Frabill tip-ups do not work as well?  ??? :blink:

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Jen,
          I would stick with a traditional style wooden tip up.  I'm sure many people use the round Frabils, but if your just starting out go with wood.  It all depends on the type of fishing your going to do?  Are you going after pike in a bay somewhere with large bait or are you after bass, pickerel and perch somewhere.  Each application may warrant different set ups.  I personally love the "green" 40up tip ups for general all purpose fishing(bass, pickerel etc.) For larger pike I love my Heritage Lakers.  I'm sure if you went into a local tackle shop in upstate NY that they could direct you to some nice tip ups.  I just picked up a new set of 5 from Dicks that have springs built right into the spool those will have a special application because I can "adjust" the spool tension.  If I want to use big bait the flags won't pop all day long just from the bait.  Like I say..you can ask your local tackle shop for direction.  They will be a big help to you.  Welcome to the site.  You will learn a lot from the nice guys all across this site.  Everyone is helpful and there's always someone who has something that you don't of knows something that you don't and can give you advice on whatever subject you would like help on.  I've provided links for you to view the tip ups.  Both are listed on the FishUSA site.  Hopefully this helps?  Any questions...feel free to ask.

http://fishusa.resultspage.com/fish/Tip%20Ups

That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum!! You WILL learn lots and maybe meet a new fishing partner!! I know i did, and dont feel embarrased even the guys on tv had to start somewhere!!  As for the frabil round tip ups, i love em cuz they cover the whole hole and keep it from iceing over, so when you have to fight a fish or pull up your lines you aint busting ice to do it!! Good luck and stay safe!!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2007, 04:27 AM »
Does anyone have a preference of the type of tip-ups to use?  I bought someone the polar original tip-up the other day, but is it true that the round Frabill tip-ups do not work as well?  ??? :blink:

I have 2 sets of Polars and one set of the Polar Extreme Big Game tip ups.  I like the Polar extreme tip ups because 5 of them fit into a 6 gallon bucket.  They also have a built in tackle box on them, extendable flag, and do not get tripped in the wind.  Here is a link to the tip ups:
http://www.peterson-outdoors.com/Polar%20Therm%20Extreme%20TipUp.htm

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:50 PM »
good luck & be safe

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:53 PM »
Welcome to the site Jen, and stay on the dry side of the ice this year!!!

Offline Stickjiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:42 PM »
Welcome! I'm kind of a newby myself to the site. There seems to be many experienced anglers willing to share and help out on here. This site ROCKS!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.