Author Topic: No splitshot?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No splitshot?
« on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:17 PM »
Fishes with my buddy today and fiound out he runs no weight on his tip up ,just hook with creek chub.got him into ice fishing about 5yrs ago and says I never told him ???he has caught some nice fish including a 21" and22" lmb.does anybody else do the "free willy" approach ?i always run a splitshot at different distance from the hook.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: No splitshot?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:23 PM »
yes and no? today had a split shot fly off kept fishin with out it,i use quite a heavy split shot to keep my minnow at the depth i set it up,i 99% of the time check depth of every tipup with a depth finder and anchor minnow there. caveat my slit shot is at least a foot above minnow to allow bait some action?
GOD BLESS
b mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline umoguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:24 PM »
I do that on salmon sets. It can be a pain to get the bait to swim down the hole from time to time, but I have good success with it. In this case you want to be just under the ice, so I don't really need the weight to get the bait down to a specific depth.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Better results with split-shot,don't want bait pinned under ice for what we target...good for his day though.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Targeting walleyes I do to keep them on the bottom, if I'm fishing northerns I sometimes do sometimes don't, I've had a lot of success with "free range" minnows for pike as they are predators that don't necessarily keep to a certain depth pattern.
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:58 PM »
I used to not use any weight on the line and what a pain to get all the line down to 60 foot, but when I went to fishing with the weight it seems that the bait stays down at the depth I want, fished next to my uncle who uses no weight still and i was catching the fish and he was not but the fish were tight to the bottom at this time.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2016, 05:46 PM »
instead of a split shot i will usually use a faceted glass bead above the hook, red if i can get them for a little more flash or sometimes a clear depending on the mood
K

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:04 PM »
in 5ft or less I don't use splitshot.just let the minnow swim around on its own.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Yea they didn't mention there fishing shallow on those Bass.

Offline slabzilla73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Never used them for pike, caught many many many with out.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Yes we were 7-8ft.i think I'm going to have to try some free range sometimes.

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:08 PM »
I never use a split shot. Only weight used is a #2 ball bearing swivel (salt water size), between the main line and leader, which is simply an eagle claw #2 snelled hook. The main thing is how the shiner is hooked. I use the collar method I learned fishing saltwater on the pacific coast. Hooked this way the shiner will swim semi-circles on it's side creating more flash and will try to get deeper. When using this method of hooking, you have to be real careful not to  hit the gills, or the minnow will die in no time. You will know if you did if you see any blood. When a game fish takes the shiner, the hook lays flat to the side and usually results in a quick strike scenario. If you wait to long the result is hooked in the gut. This has worked for me for bass, perch, crappie, pike, walleye, and musky over the past 40 years or so of ice fishing. I found this picture of collar hooking on line to give an idea how to do it. Sometimes it takes a little practice. This can't be very useful for real small minnows though. This says sardines, but just think shiners instead....olds
http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/gallery/photo-galleries/2010/07/how-hook-sardine?image=1 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:12 PM »
I never use a split shot. Only weight used is a #2 ball bearing swivel (salt water size), between the main line and leader, which is simply an eagle claw #2 snelled hook. The main thing is how the shiner is hooked. I use the collar method I learned fishing saltwater on the pacific coast. Hooked this way the shiner will swim semi-circles on it's side creating more flash and will try to get deeper. When using this method of hooking, you have to be real careful not to  hit the gills, or the minnow will die in no time. You will know if you did if you see any blood. When a game fish takes the shiner, the hook lays flat to the side and usually results in a quick strike scenario. If you wait to long the result is hooked in the gut. This has worked for me for bass, perch, crappie, pike, walleye, and musky over the past 40 years or so of ice fishing. I found this picture of collar hooking on line to give an idea how to do it. Sometimes it takes a little practice. This can't be very useful for real small minnows though. This says sardines, but just think shiners instead....olds
http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/gallery/photo-galleries/2010/07/how-hook-sardine?image=1
does it kill the shiner? most of the time just hook behind dorsel fin anything deep kills them
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:21 PM »
It looks like it is a shallow hook but real close to those gills.in fisherman recommends the same thing but back closer to dorsal .interesting,might have to try.

Offline Never-Dull

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:24 PM »
I use split shot about 12" up the leader.  Never tried it without.  Might have to give it a try.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:51 PM »
instead of a split shot i will usually use a faceted glass bead above the hook, red if i can get them for a little more flash or sometimes a clear depending on the mood
K

Yup, Good beads really attract fish.     I've used these in emerald, ruby and clear crystal with dead bait, dead stick.      :thumbsup:

And, Sawovski's are priceless.    ;)2

Here's a link:    http://www.firemountaingems.com/shop/swarovski-beads--5000

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Very interesting Idahogator,thank you.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:13 PM »
Very interesting Idahogator,thank you.

Very welcome, slab.    ;)2                I'm fortunate to have found a Ben Franklin artsy-crafty store selling out for half price ~  set for life.     :roflmao:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:23 PM »
Every so often a real gem of knowledge is shared on IS.  Thanks IdahoGator.

MD

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Yup, Good beads really attract fish.     I've used these in emerald, ruby and clear crystal with dead bait, dead stick.      :thumbsup:

And, Sawovski's are priceless.    ;)2

Here's a link:    http://www.firemountaingems.com/shop/swarovski-beads--5000

Fancy! Haha. And one of those glass beads is similar in weight to the lead split shot?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Every so often a real gem of knowledge is shared on IS.  Thanks IdahoGator.

MD
Many thanks for the acknowledgement, Mainedog.       ;)2

It's like an attractive sinker, ha, and deadly in clearer water, Marty.   

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:26 PM »
I gave up split shot years ago, one of the best things Ive done to my setup. The bait has a more natural presentation, and can cover more ground attracting more predators.

I use a big swivel, its all the weight I need to stay deep.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:44 PM »
1MO...right behind the gill opening is a tougher line of skin. I actually start the hook point there first working just under the skin  about a quarter inch or so towards the tail before breaking it through. It does not kill them if you keep it shallow. You can unhook them also carefully when time to head home.  Re-hook them another time, and there is another side too if that hole gets to large or loose... You can also practice the technique on a dead minnow ...olds

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2016, 05:15 AM »
Cool thanks olds.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2016, 07:53 AM »
1MO...right behind the gill opening is a tougher line of skin. I actually start the hook point there first working just under the skin  about a quarter inch or so towards the tail before breaking it through. It does not kill them if you keep it shallow. You can unhook them also carefully when time to head home.  Re-hook them another time, and there is another side too if that hole gets to large or loose... You can also practice the technique on a dead minnow ...olds

I am going to try this tomorrow, thanks for the idea! Also i never use split shot but do run a heavier swivel at the end of my Dacron. I'll put a glass bead or two on my long fluoro leaders for lake trout, wire leaders for pike dont need any additional weight.

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Good luck shiveringjoe, I hope it works out well for you. None other than Scott himself , leader of ice shanty always recommended using a bead or beads for attraction. I just never felt I needed it, never tried it. Guess I may have to this year if we ever get ice safe enough for me.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2016, 09:39 AM »
In my area guys target trout by setting tipups without a sinker and fishing just under the ice.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2016, 11:23 AM »
In my area guys target trout by setting tipups without a sinker and fishing just under the ice.
A few successful wise fellows around here do the same.   Oops, I may have let the cat of of the bag.    :unsure:   Shhhh

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2016, 04:14 PM »
I normally use a gem'n'eyes lure it weighs them down enough so the can't really swim up with it. But it adds color and allows them to struggle... Bigger fish I want bigger lure I use. That collarbone hook and beads may be something I try though

Offline Raynestorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2016, 10:27 PM »
I did a night trip with a walleye guide that had been catching numerous big eyes. He is adamant that there is a absolutely no weight on his tip up sets. No split shot and no swivel. He ties fluoro leader with a small single hook directly to the Dacron, and that's it. It was a pain getting the shiners down 35 feet. I couldn't argue with his logic, since he was nailing the big fish consistently. I couldn't take it for to long and went back to a small quality swivel, and small split shot. I still catch more fish than those around me, so I can't say I made a bad choice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.