Author Topic: Garmin striker 4 plus ice bundle transducer?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline BRsnow

• IceShanty Rookie
Garmin striker 4 plus ice bundle transducer?
« on: Jan 15, 2023, 09:20 PM »
If someone has this set, what transducer came with it? Does it just come with the normal open water one? Thank you

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Garmin striker 4 plus ice bundle transducer?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2023, 05:47 AM »
Yes, unless you buy the ice bundle. The higher end Garmin ice transducers run $160-180 new, almost as much as I paid for the unit and carrying case. Garmin must have gotten wise and are selling a cheaper transducer, Garicexd dual beam, for about $80. I picked one up and because of no ice I tried it off a handicapped fishing pier. It seemed to work okay, better than trying to Jimmy the open water one to hang right.

Offline BRsnow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2023, 08:01 AM »
Yes, unless you buy the ice bundle. The higher end Garmin ice transducers run $160-180 new, almost as much as I paid for the unit and carrying case. Garmin must have gotten wise and are selling a cheaper transducer, Garicexd dual beam, for about $80. I picked one up and because of no ice I tried it off a handicapped fishing pier. It seemed to work okay, better than trying to Jimmy the open water one to hang right.

Thanks, the ice bundle just days dual beam,  doesn’t list the iceducers that come with the larger units. Trying to get clarity if the dual beam is for ice. Appreciate it.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2023, 11:09 AM »
Standard bundle is dual beam I believe.  BUT is the open water transducer.   It works great through the ice, just make sure it's floating mostly straight.   I love mine, won't fish without it.
I have never used the cone shaped ice transducer to compare them though.
The dual beam feature is very handy on the ice in certain scenarios. Definitely something to play with
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2023, 11:55 AM »
Based on the manual and descrption/spec my guess is

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/735513

CHIRP 77 and CHIRP 200 kHz
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2023, 08:45 AM »
That’s the one I just picked up Hardwater, they finally made an affordable one. I love the open water transducer, but it was a pain readjusting it every time a fish bumped it in the hole on the way up

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2023, 09:42 AM »
I was told that the standard ducer is prone to freezing

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2023, 12:56 PM »
Used the open water transducer for 5-6 years and it never froze on me, and I was out on multiple single digit days

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2023, 01:26 PM »
I used the open water ducer for 4 years before spending $70 on the ice ducer.  I have definitely noticed less commotion especially if using the flasher mode.  Can't say that it's much more of an advantage.  I had my open water ducer rigged up on PVC and a float.  Never had the ducer freeze but much easier to hole hope with dedicated iceducer and no other hardware. 

H
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2023, 03:38 PM »
Mumbleseed, I haven’t been able to try that new ice transducer through the ice, only off a dock. Did you try it on graph mode, and if you did, how did it work. Thanks

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2023, 05:14 PM »
I did use graph mode a bit  but couldn’t give any more feedback other than the stability and surety of the ducers cone direction definitely made what it was reading more stable directly below. Fish depth and structure seemed much more clearly distinct.   Could it have been my previous janky PVC setup?  I couldn’t say but possible. 

I can’t believe what these units cost now?!? I bought mine off-season for $120 with ice bundle even after ice ducer cost I’m still not at current MSRP. 
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2023, 05:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. I paid about $170 for the unit and ice case. I hesitated to spend $160-170 on an ice transducer. I just bought that one for $75 and it hope it works as well as the open one does. I pretty much use the traditional only.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.